Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-21-2015, 11:33 PM

Default Wolf Traps

I have some wolves that have moved into the area and I was unsure about using a drag/grapple or anchoring the trap? What is the best method? Thanks
Old 10-21-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmur View Post
I have some wolves that have moved into the area and I was unsure about using a drag/grapple or anchoring the trap? What is the best method? Thanks
What are you using for traps ?
Old 10-22-2015, 12:22 AM

Using MB750's and also have a couple Brawn's.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:37 AM

some say it doesn't matter. some say that you want them not too move as to catch the entire pack in other sets. some say long chain, some say short. many different opinions.

but they all say, the most important thing is to get out and do it!

keep us updated.
good luck!
Old 10-22-2015, 07:27 AM
AO Sponsor

A good rule of thumb would be, if he can hitch up easily drag, if not, then stake. Keep in mind the rule of setting to hold your largest potential catch, so that whenever possible large non targets can simply power out instead of needing release.

On drags, keep your chains very long for wolf and again to keep the drag on the ground for both the wolf and the rare day of the non target so that the drag itself stays down on the ground and is not doing circles in the air. Also, do not use grapples, they are often weak and require solid bushes/trees to stop game whereas the modern drag or "plow" is keeping your catch slowed down the moment the plow starts moving and any root system, even sod can plant the thing.

This one is a coyote plow. I would redo the chain connection point on it if I was going to use it around dangerous game. Welding every swivel is wise.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:55 AM

more thoughts on chain length marty??

was surprised to hear DL talk about it. short chain is the law over there.

hopefully can make some time to work on the lamination these next few days.

time to go check. all right!!!!!

Last edited by braggadoe; 10-22-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
A good rule of thumb would be, if he can hitch up easily drag, if not, then stake. Keep in mind the rule of setting to hold your largest potential catch, so that whenever possible large non targets can simply power out instead of needing release.

On drags, keep your chains very long for wolf and again to keep the drag on the ground for both the wolf and the rare day of the non target so that the drag itself stays down on the ground and is not doing circles in the air. Also, do not use grapples, they are often weak and require solid bushes/trees to stop game whereas the modern drag or "plow" is keeping your catch slowed down the moment the plow starts moving and any root system, even sod can plant the thing.

This one is a coyote plow. I would redo the chain connection point on it if I was going to use it around dangerous game. Welding every swivel is wise.
My goodness, those drags look slick. Didn't I see Tom Cruise use one to scale a building in one of his Mission Impossible shows?

Kidding aside, I imagine you have to boil both the chain and drag before using.