Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-31-2014, 06:22 PM

Default Neck turning tool

Hey guys,
I'm in Calgary and have started to prep brass for a wildcat cartridge i've got.
the 6.5mm Sherman Shortmag.
I've never neck turned before and this requires it. what brand of neck turning tool have you got,where did you get it, and are you happy with it?
I'm also looking for a cheap 7 saum sizing die to modify and use to push the shoulders back on the 300 saum/7saum brass used. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:30 PM

I've used both the K&N and Forster, like them both.
Cat
Old 07-31-2014, 06:51 PM

Default Neck turning

I use the forester, I am sure there are better ones out there but this definitely works and was in town at wholesale sports
Old 07-31-2014, 07:27 PM

I have just purchased a Forster neck turning attachment, mostly because I already had an Original Trimmer. The attachment and pilot mandrels were inexpensive (Grafs.com) and seem to work quite well. Some suggest that a lathe type turner is more stable and easier to keep true than a handheld unit, (I do not have enough experience for an informed opinion). I also purchased a power adapter, but have not yet used it other than checking for fit.

I did need to grind off a corner on the cutter head for clearance to the shoulder of a 300WM, I suspect you may also need to do this for your wildcat.

The feed and limit system installs between the cutter support bearing and the crank and reduces the range of case length that the unit can handle. As a trimmer I was using a 6.5” base for 308W to 338LM, but with the turner system installed, the 6.5” base was slightly too long for 06, but the 5.375” base works well for 08 & 06 brass.

Good Luck, YMMV
Old 07-31-2014, 07:27 PM

The KM outside neck turning tool has a square cutter and is available with splined pilots to eliminate neck donuts. Joe at RPS should have in stock.

The Forster has a round cutter disk and short pilots and is a pain to use and get uniform results.

I have a Sinclair, KS Arms, Forster and KM and the KM is the one I use. I use a cordless drill with the KM.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:56 AM

Here is another one you may want to look into,it has a few extra features;

http://www.21stcenturyshooting.com/N...rning_Tool.php

These people do build nice tools. I have one, haven't played with it yet though. Salazar's article explains the differences pretty well.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:34 AM

I have the 21st century lathe, I have been using it for a year or so and like it.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:05 AM

I tried the hand held, they are hard on the hands. Got a Lyman neck tool that mounts on the trimmer. Cases must be resized, trimmed and if neck sizing only, ensure the whole neck is sized.

You need different mandrels (pilot that goes in the neck of the case) for neck turning versus trimming but you get the common ones with the neck tool. Once set up, you can do a couple of hundred cases in no time flat and being mounted on the lathe like trimmer you get very consistent results.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:57 AM

I use the K&M as well. I bought the "quick release chuck(shell holder)" and I can go through 100 cases in under an hour. They are uniformly cut to tolerances less than what I can measure with my instruments.

I highly recommend K&M.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:58 AM

Don Neilson's pumpkin is the nicest hand held I've used yet , k&m and Sinclair also fine.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW223 View Post
Don Neilson's pumpkin is the nicest hand held I've used yet , k&m and Sinclair also fine.
Fully agree that of the handhelds the pumpkin design is the better option.