Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-01-2024, 04:50 PM

Exclamation Ice Electronics Reccomendations

I’ve used the search function but new models of ice fish finders seem to be out now. I like Vexilar but the FL28 & 30 seem overpriced for what they do. Interested in the Marcum MX7 GPS. What does everyone else on here use and recommend? My budget is $1000 or less
Old 02-02-2024, 07:58 AM

I picked up a Garmin Striker 4 Ice Fishing package and i love it. I've fished with my buddy who has a Hummingbird Flasher and i still prefer my Garmin over it. The Garmin is a lower end model with no GPS but still great at finding fish.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:10 PM

I also have the Garmin Striker 4 ice fishing package. You can get away with the even cheaper base Striker 4 if you're willing to make a mount for your transducer. Works great and reasonably priced. It does have GPS built in (can store waypoints, etc.).
Old 02-06-2024, 03:22 PM

My Lowrance's serve double duty. In summer on the boat and winter on the ice. No need to have one dedicated to each. Just buy a shuttle and battery then mount your head unit in the shuttle in winter. That way I have a good graph with maps and all my waypoints year round at my fingertips and I save on buying a dedicated ice unit. I had been running a pair of Elite Ti's on the boat up until the 2023 season when I replaced them with HDS Carbon 9's that were on sale at a good price. Both models are awesome but the Carbons have ethernet ports giving them Active Target and mirror imaging capability between units. Cabela's has them on sale currently for $1199...
Old 02-06-2024, 04:40 PM

Go with any of the Helix, Lowrance or Garmin as they all have good products. Make sure it has gps, card slot and at least 7 inch. Then you can use it on your boat too and with 7 inch you can do split screens without needing a magnifier. Lol.
Old 02-06-2024, 04:57 PM

If your new to the electronic game with ice fishing the flx28-30 made by vexlar are the best flashers on the market. The price is high but there are cheaper models also. Garmin striker 4 is a nice little unit but must buy the ice ducer separate and the screen is pretty small to stare at all day in my opinion. With anything personal choice will what you go with but the vex’s are what I would be goin with.
Old 02-06-2024, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
If your new to the electronic game with ice fishing the flx28-30 made by vexlar are the best flashers on the market. The price is high but there are cheaper models also. Garmin striker 4 is a nice little unit but must buy the ice ducer separate and the screen is pretty small to stare at all day in my opinion. With anything personal choice will what you go with but the vex’s are what I would be goin with.
Why must one buy another transducer? I use my boat transducer all winter.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-06-2024, 09:47 PM

Go with brand that you can use outside of an ice fishing tent for those nice warm sunny day . My LX7 Marcum was useless out in the sun . My fishing boat sonar works better in the sun.
Old 02-07-2024, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I just bought a ice transducer for my Lowrance this year cause taking the one off the boat is a PITA
Old 02-07-2024, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Personal preference but if your using a summer ducer in winter time your finder might not be working to the proper caliber it would with an ice ducer. Striker 4 doesn’t pick up history and split screen with out the ice ducer. Just what my buddy uses and he purchased ice ducer and loves the little unit. My buddy has the helix 8 and had to purchase ice ducer also.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:48 AM

Vexilar's are the best flashers hands down. You don't need a FLX-28 or 30 to get a good unit. Watch this video and see which one is right for you.
Old 02-08-2024, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Vexilar's are the best flashers hands down. You don't need a FLX-28 or 30 to get a good unit. Watch this video and see which one is right for you.
X2.
IMO the FLX-20 Pro pack is the best value. KISS with awesome performance and reliability.

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2024, 07:28 PM

Default Humminbird rebate

If you purchase a Humminbird, there is some rebates out there

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...kyMDE5MDM3MwS2

Cheers

SS
Old 02-09-2024, 09:13 AM

Last year I purchased Garmin Vivid 5 for ice fishing. Couldn't be happier. It turns on almost instantly compere with Lowrance a minute or so. I don't have to adjust anything, just turn it on, choose type of screen and fish. I leave all settings at auto and up to 30' that I tried so far, no issues. I can see all type of jigs including wire worms without adjustment. Transducer reads through the ice as well. My last one was cheep Lowrance and it was a constant adjustment of depth, gain etc. I don't have any feedback when it comes to the open water.
Vic
Old 02-09-2024, 06:17 PM

I run Bird, so the Helix 8 MSI+ G4N is compatible with Live and pulls double duty on the boat in a networked system with my Minn Kota, Mega 360, Talon, and other Helix units. I know the networking capable units are more coin, but nice to be able to build off of them and not have to buy again.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors