Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2019, 02:43 PM

Default Converting an old canvas tent

I have tried everything to avoid buying a wall tent, I converted my cargo trailer to accept a wood stove. Worked great but I now don't want to pull it for a couple reasons. a) the inside gets so dusty by the time I get to destination and b) I am the only one that sleeps in it. Deep down I still want a canvas tent but they are not cheap.
I have an old 70's woods canvas cabin tent with exterior poles in great shape. Would you put a stove jack in it and use it with a heat shield behind and a proper matt under it? I have no idea if it is fire treated. If it does happen to catch fire will it burn that much faster than todays wall tents?
If you were to buy for yourself and maybe one other person sometimes to be used a couple times a year, what would it be?
a) 8x10 wall tent
b) Canvas tent with centre pole (ATUK style)
c) Tipi (I have slept in one but the condensation was horrible + would this not burn up as fast as a non treated canvas tent?)

Thanks for the help
Old 02-13-2019, 02:51 PM

One of those pics I keep to remind myself what can happen.

That took about 5 minutes and it was supposedly a fire treated tent. Betting those old tents aren't.

Grizz
Old 02-13-2019, 02:58 PM

I would get the 10x 12 wall tent lots of room for a couple or more for sleeping and you could put a stove inside as well.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:29 PM

To OP, my first choice for 1 man occasional use would be an insulated ice fishing tent. 6120i would fit the bill with Big Buddy for heat or stove jack replacing one of the windows. Lots of room for gear plus cot. Easy to see the multi uses here.
Second choice would be a 10x10 Atuk tent.
Both setups are portable and the winner for me would be the package I could put together the cheapest.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
One of those pics I keep to remind myself what can happen.

That took about 5 minutes and it was supposedly a fire treated tent. Betting those old tents aren't.

Grizz
Holy cow! What do you use now?
Old 02-13-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
To OP, my first choice for 1 man occasional use would be an insulated ice fishing tent. 6120i would fit the bill with Big Buddy for heat or stove jack replacing one of the windows. Lots of room for gear plus cot. Easy to see the multi uses here.
Second choice would be a 10x10 Atuk tent.
Both setups are portable and the winner for me would be the package I could put together the cheapest.
Would an ice fishing tent not be as dangerous as a non treated canvas tent?
I do like the idea though,
Old 02-13-2019, 07:13 PM

Definitely not fireproof but with a little common sense a good time could be had by all.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:01 PM

Depending on the size, I would try your old tent if it is in good shape. Put a proper stove jack in it and protect/adjust as needed. Keep in mind that you at least want to double the man rating for a tent to have any room at all when inside, especially with a stove. 8x10 would be almost small for 2 guys.....but great for one
Old 02-14-2019, 07:27 AM

If you keep your eye out and spend some time looking you will find that you will be able to get into a very good used wall tent for the same cost as a 6120i or the like.

It took me a few months of looking and some patience but I found a 12x16 tent in excellent shape for $600. I have seen smaller tents like you are looking for go for much cheaper.

First year we just used a ridgepole system but now have build an EMT and alum pole system that works great.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:10 AM

Default Warm and comfy

I have a 16' x 26' wall tent with a stove and it has worked great for 6 of us to as cold can be just keep the stove stocked, but to get out and be more versatile and portable I was thinking that a large double ice fishing tent with a small stove would work really good for a couple guys. And set up really fast. Would like to try it on day!
Old 02-14-2019, 08:31 PM

I am really looking for something I can handle myself. Age and health dictates many things now.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:03 PM

I stuck a stove jack in an old woods cabin tent and used it a few times in winter until I got a wall tent, a small airtight stove on top of a welding blanket worked well. There was not much room with 2 small cots and the stove but it was ok for just me and my son.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20190214-WA0012.jpg (60.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20190214-WA0009.jpg (102.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20190214-WA0010.jpg (56.0 KB, 52 views)
Old 02-14-2019, 09:58 PM

I think the Seek Outside Cimarron tent and Ti stove would be an excellent choice. I run a Redcliff.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:13 AM

I put it off for 10 years, but finally got myself a 12x14 wall tent. After you rip the bandaid off in terms of cost, this thing is going to last me 20 years I hope.