Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 09:58 AM

Default Education update, Masks now required in all schools

With the announcement this morning. Masks will be required for all students and staff grade 4 and up. what are your thoughts.

I think it great that the young kids do not need masks. I think it needs to go further and have it that the teachers are not in masks too. The development of the kids k-3 will be significantly impacted if the teachers are in masks.

CBC article
Old 08-04-2020, 10:13 AM

How will the development of kids in grade 3 and below be effected by Teachers wearing masks? Teachers are adults, if they choose to wear a mask let them do so. If i was a teacher around a bunch of snotty 6 year old's id be buying masks in bulk for the next school year.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:19 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

there will have to be at least a one hour class on the proper mask handling etc....the teachers will be busy keeping the masks on students...especially the young ones but I guess you got to give it a go...glad I am not a teacher thrown into this one...should get paid more.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-04-2020, 10:19 AM

language development is huge in k-3. It is important for the students to see the teachers mouth so that they can learn the proper articulation of the words. If the words are only spoken you are missing out on half of the development

Think about it this way. Can you lip read? with out a mask that is not possible. For some its a combination of vocal and lip reading for develpoment
Old 08-04-2020, 10:34 AM

Default So......

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlim View Post
language development is huge in k-3. It is important for the students to see the teachers mouth so that they can learn the proper articulation of the words. If the words are only spoken you are missing out on half of the development

Think about it this way. Can you lip read? with out a mask that is not possible. For some its a combination of vocal and lip reading for develpoment
You want an employee to go into a pandemic without being able to moderately protect themselves...?

Your ok with that?

How’s about..... them see through mask deals... can they wear that?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-04-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Thats true, but its still a risk/reward for the teacher to decide. If I was a teacher and plan on seeing my old parents/grandparents you can bet id choose their safety over the development of a bunch of kids. Maybe they need Plexiglas dividers like at checkouts on their desk.

Im curious to how this school year is going to playout. Is it going to cause a large outbreak? Will school be canceled by November? Will teachers walk out this year? If I were a teacher id feel like a punching bag right now with a mix of being a glorified baby sitter.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:41 AM

My heart goes out to the teachers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi0gAG6Ngqc
Old 08-04-2020, 10:42 AM

Already one breakout in Calgary summer school.

You can guarantee outbreaks. We’ll have to depend on containment and contact tracing to keep it from going wild.

Hey.... I get 2 masks and 1 shield for the whole year..... nice.... local Teck mine guys get n95 masks, disposable masks and the same for their families on a weekly basis.... just cauSe.....

But on the bright side.... I jus bought 4 Luchadore masks to wear with my mask.... might as well have lil fun with it.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:46 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Already one breakout in Calgary summer school.

You can guarantee outbreaks. We’ll have to depend on containment and contact tracing to keep it from going wild.

Hey.... I get 2 masks and 1 shield for the whole year..... nice.... local Teck mine guys get n95 masks, disposable masks and the same for their families on a weekly basis.... just cauSe.....

But on the bright side.... I jus bought 4 Luchadore masks to wear with my mask.... might as well have lil fun with it.
dam I would walk in class with an SCBA on and a 60 minute tank....have about ten sitting by my desk for swap out during breaks etc....who is going to walk around and sanitize all the areas that are touched?....this is going to be a gooder come sept....ask for a dam pay raise...danger pay

Old 08-04-2020, 10:46 AM

Just wait until Johnny trades his spiderman mask for Billy’s Batman mask. There’s going to be a lot of mask swapping
Old 08-04-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
With the announcement this morning. Masks will be required for all students and staff grade 4 and up. what are your thoughts.

I think it great that the young kids do not need masks. I think it needs to go further and have it that the teachers are not in masks too. The development of the kids k-3 will be significantly impacted if the teachers are in masks.

CBC article
I guess you think Alberta kids aren't as smart as kids in other countries if they can't handle something as complex as putting on a mask.....
Old 08-04-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Face shields are readily available and some authorities suggest they may be pretty good for protection. There are a few masks with clear cut-outs to show the mouth.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husty View Post
Maybe they need Plexiglas dividers like at checkouts on their desk.
As we have seen in many news reports, some countries have done exactly this. Student desks have Plexiglas on three sides and the teacher's desk can have one as well.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:08 AM

For what it’s worth Bessie masks don’t really protect you but protect others around you if you’re sick. Teachers aren’t really at risk by not wearing a mask But they could spread it to students if they have it. If I was you I would be pushing as much as possible for having your classes outdoors as long as the weather allows if you want to lessen risk.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:14 AM

Teachers should be consulted in this instance, what do they want to do their jobs. Skip the union and go right to the horses mouth. I'm sure they have a few ideas and it is there health.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-04-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Thats true, but its still a risk/reward for the teacher to decide. If I was a teacher and plan on seeing my old parents/grandparents you can bet id choose their safety over the development of a bunch of kids. Maybe they need Plexiglas dividers like at checkouts on their desk.

Im curious to how this school year is going to playout. Is it going to cause a large outbreak? Will school be canceled by November? Will teachers walk out this year? If I were a teacher id feel like a punching bag right now with a mix of being a glorified baby sitter.
There has been NO increase in cases for countries that have opened schools. The research suggests that children do NOT spread the virus and there have been NO cases of child to adult transmission that I know of! People need to stop letting their emotions drive them, and start looking at facts!

This video is worth watching on the subject https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GvPMAtwGUQ
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill

Last edited by raab; 08-04-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:23 AM

Lets keep this civil guys, the fact is... it does not matter where somone lives or is born. Some need more help than others, the unfortunate part of what we are giong through right now is that those that need the most help are suffering.

Its easy to armchair quarterback this and have all the answers...

Sept will be an interesting time, I expect changes to be implemented as we start to have back to school.

Lets just keep in mind many of the teachers feel muzzled in this and can not speak freely or properly as to what the situation is.

Many are feeling ill-supported or forgotten about. Kenny has thrown cash all over the place to aid with re-launch. Education has barely seen a dime, infact they have had cut backs to deal with ontop of covid.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:24 AM

Let's hope we don't repeat what happened in Israel:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/04/w...ls-reopen.html

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 08-04-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
There has been NO increase in cases for countries that have opened schools. The research suggests that children do NOT spread the virus and there have been NO cases of child to adult transmission that I know of! People need to stop letting their emotions drive them, and start looking at facts!
Really? https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/04/w...ls-reopen.html

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 08-04-2020, 11:29 AM

Do the parents supply the masks? Single use masks would be expensive, reusable cloth would work although keeping them clean would be tough.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:31 AM

Default Wrong

Quote:
So wrong, very wrong... you are completely wrong.

..... which would be why Dr Hinshaw discussed and rationalized the update in procedure. I’m guessing your research may be a bit less than AHS’s.... but I’m prolly wrong.........

Or that Calgary summer school was fake news right..?

Re: funding for schools

Local boards have +300 million in RESERVES

This is a long standing game they play and it’s unethical. Parents need to demand that their Boards commit those reserves and at least stick to the lower end of prov recommended guidelines for budget reserves....... some Boards have a habit of keeping 15-20% of their budgets in reserve.

Then they beg the province for $$...... not cool.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
Let's hope we don't repeat what happened in Israel:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/04/w...ls-reopen.html
We can only hope to be as well off as Israel, we’ve had 4 times as many deaths on a per capita basis
Old 08-04-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:

..... which would be why Dr Hinshaw discussed and rationalized the update in procedure. I’m guessing your research may be a bit less than AHS’s.... but I’m prolly wrong.........

This is a long standing game they play and it’s unethical. Parents need to demand that their Boards commit those reserves and at least stick to the lower end of prov recommended guidelines for budget reserves....... some Boards have a habit of keeping 15-20% of their budgets in reserve.

The masks are 100% because of the Teacher Union monopoly in education. My kid is not wearing a mask to get an education, when she's not a risk to spread the disease.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 08-04-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Kids won't learn much from a teacher who is in quarantine. They also won't learn as much as they could if they're in quarantine.

Also, that BS about "enunciating correctly"....give me a break. Like your average person has decent diction, now adays.

This plan is a poor one.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
100's infected, in one school, in a country with 8 million! Hardly an outbreak, if you told me 10,000 were infected then that'd be something.

Now in saying that, it was a High School. I can see the risk of transmission in that setting as teens HAVE shown to transmit the virus. I could see the logical reasoning for asking teenagers to wear masks, NOT grade 4's.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:11 PM

I don't have any idea what the right answer is here. You can't keep the schools and everywhere else closed forever, but what is the safest and right way to re-open? Parents can choose to keep their kids home for any reason from don't want them exposed at all to don't agree with masks, don't want to end up in Quarantine themselves if there is an outbreak etc. Seems to me the teachers have far less in the way of options when it comes to whether they return to work or not. All I can say is i am REALLY glad I am not a teacher and that I have no kids going to school. I wish those in either group all the best.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
The masks are 100% because of the Teacher Union monopoly in education. My kid is not wearing a mask to get an education, when she's not a risk to spread the disease.
Might be best for you to keep your kid at home then.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:53 PM

as with everything covid related only time will tell and yup hindsight is 20/20.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

^^^ This...…...
Old 08-04-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Might be best for you to keep your kid at home then.
That's what I'm doing, my kid doesn't need to be part of a massive social experiment for a disease that infects 2% of the population, hospitalizes .11%, and has a mortality rate of .03%. A disease that has shown NO transmission in children or from children to adults!