Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Lets examine the facts, we have had 2 months of almost solid ran. Last two weeks has given farmers small break to try to get hay crop off without major rain damage to hay. The boy was under lot of pressure to get into field and get work done.
Then we have people that want to replace highly trained RCMP with a bunch of sheriff buffons in Alberta.
When the cops pull you over you stop. Doesn't matter what kind of pressure you are under.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:23 AM

I won't comment on the case, I'll let you guys argue about it.

However the Go Fund Me is ridiculous. A large family with lots of resources doesn't need donations for a case that may cost 5-10k to fight with a decent lawyer.

Charity is great, for those who really need it. You want to donate to a cause, donate to one of the legal challenges to our dear PM's gun laws.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:27 AM

Default A few thoughts...

I have a few thoughts...

1) If they are Christian fundamentalists, then you would think they would be quite familiar with Romans 13:1 "Everyone must submit to governing authorities." Kinda straightforward wouldn't you say? As long as a cop is asking you to comply with a lawful request then you do it.

2) I am puzzled by comments about the sign. That sign is irrelevant. Last I checked, free speech is still allowed.

3) Kid was stupid. Cops tell you to get out of your tractor then you get your arse out. Simple as that. Case closed. If my 17 year old gets asked to step out of the car at a check-stop and he refuses and gets punched in the head resulting in a bloody nose and a black eye that's on him. Tough titty.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:35 AM

When was the last time we had a check stop for farm tractors in Alberta?
Old 08-12-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
When was the last time we had a check stop for farm tractors in Alberta?
Every check stop is for every vehicle. Doesn't matter what you are driving, it doesn't give you an excuse to skip it. Would be much different if there was an approach he was driving into before the check stop and it was actually his field and was going to work. Even then if the cops ask you to stop you stop. How complicated is it?
Old 08-12-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Do any of you think that kid was ever a threat to anyone?
Do any of you think the Sheriff's had no other choices?
Do you really think of this boy and rural crime?
I want to be onside with law enforcement but they make it hard sometimes. This is right up there with that little girl in the star wars outfit.
Do you think that if he got out of the tractor when ordered to he wouldn't have been taken down.
Works for me. I haven't been taken down once.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
I had no idea there has been that many abortions in Canada. Wow
There isn't …..….. once again there are easy statistics published by the government and ………. there's fake news created by those with an agenda.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:00 AM

Lets call it what it is a tractor not a vehicle
Old 08-12-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
There isn't …..….. once again there are easy statistics published by the government and ………. there's fake news created by those with an agenda.

How many is that number then? I did quick look and seems about 90-100 thousand per year last 10 years. That’s a million in 10 years.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:05 AM

Exclamation Your laws don't apply to us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I refer to them as the Sundre chapter of Free Men on the land.
That comment told me everything I needed to know about the people involved in this story.

I would like all of the posters who take issue with what happened to drive around the next Checkstop they come to, refuse to take a breathalyzer and refuse to comply with the LEO's lawful instructions. Then get back to us with your story about what happened. Please include photos.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-12-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post
How many is that number then? I did quick look and seems about 90-100 thousand per year last 10 years. That’s a million in 10 years.

Never mind did my own research and looks like million is a pretty accurate number since 1974
Old 08-12-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
From dictionary.com
Vehicle:
a conveyance moving on wheels, runners, tracks, or the like, as a cart, sled, automobile, or tractor.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:14 AM

His sisters sob story while trying to raise funds kills me. Like these are the only people ever inconvenienced by a spot check. Everyone has somewhere to be, that's why they are on the road. Sorry kid, it could have been avoided quit easily. Lesson learned. Fundamentalist Christian matters not one iota either way.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-12-2020, 10:14 AM

I can think of a few times encountering farmers who were definitely under the influence while operating equipt. They are operating a vehicle on a roadway, I would think they could easily fall under impaired laws. Sounds like the kid wasn't inclined to use the brains he was born with. Whether that deserved his getting dumped on his bean for not wanting to get out of the tractor, I wasn't there, can't say. But, some folk are predestined to learn some stuff the hard way, and may have encountered someone who may have been, at that part of the day, a bit inclined to be intolerant of the kid's willful ignorance, by the sound of it. Something of a perfect storm scenario. The towing of the tractor likely was not at all necessary, could have been resolved with a quick call to the farm concerned. And maybe that would have resulted in another incident of a different nature, that the LEO's were trying to avoid at that place and time.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:16 AM

2) I am puzzled by comments about the sign. That sign is irrelevant. Last I checked, free speech is still allowed.

True, but just created more controversy around the family and only allowed because of a technicality at that location, they like to push the envelope as far as possible, just like this situation. One of their spokesmen's comments was, "Some of my family went down to talk to them" , reminded me of my friend's experience with them, Bullies. Home Schooling that createded a naive boy. ? Excellent reason against it .

Grizz
Old 08-12-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
From dictionary.com
Vehicle:
a conveyance moving on wheels, runners, tracks, or the like, as a cart, sled, automobile, or tractor.
funny i will have to ask the boys over coffee today how there vehicle is pulling in the field today thanks for the info
Old 08-12-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post
That's what I thought too.
Sign of the end times.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Question

Quote:

jeepers eh....really!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-12-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
funny i will have to ask the boys over coffee today how there vehicle is pulling in the field today thanks for the info
Go ahead. Ask what vehicle they took to the field that day and I bet they say tractor (if that’s what they drove there). While at it refer to the traffic safety act for a really broad definition of the word vehicle. Here I can help:
A device in, on or by which a person or thing may be transported or drawn on a highway and includes a combination of vehicles but does not include a mobility aid.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:02 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
one of them will explain it to you as they show you to the door....no more coffee for you...you're cut off!!!!

the kid got what a putz deserves...sheriff didn't attack anyone....thread should be idiot danced with the law...fell down.

hockey is on gotta go

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-12-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
one of them will explain it to you as they show you to the door....no more coffee for you...you're cut off!!!!

the kid got what a putz deserves...sheriff didn't attack anyone....thread should be idiot danced with the law...fell down.

hockey is on gotta go
yes we had a good laugh we all agree that not everyone is from the farm. It is like when you hire a operator to run your dozer or hoe and he gets there and says i can drive those for you those are the type that you show the door . and yes that kid got what he deserves
Old 08-12-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Do you think that if he got out of the tractor when ordered to he wouldn't have been taken down.
Works for me. I haven't been taken down once.
Like I posted earlier. I agree with Tools theory. Its seems more likely the kid was at fault.
I do suspect that the Sheriff could have handled it better. According to the kids version they jumped him the second he didn't do what they said. No one was at risk here. This kid does not seem scary to me.
There is lots of rural crime and suspicious outside people in rural areas at night who have no reason to be there. This kid obviously wasn't hurting anybody and belongs there.
I get upset when I see a bunch of government men jumping on someone who doesn't seem to be a bad guy. Example that little girl in Lethbridge.
I think we can do worse than the RCMP here in Alberta. In town they used to have a Mayor who hated the Mounties because they would not drop what they were doing to enforce every little by law he created. Some small towns can end up with really funky mayors because the job doesn't pay much and smarter people have more on the go or have businesses and dont want to make enemy's.
My hearing is bad. I dont want to get jumped. A friend of mine reads lips because he is deaf. With policed wearing masks it could be bad for him.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

True, but just created more controversy around the family and only allowed because of a technicality at that location, they like to push the envelope as far as possible, just like this situation. One of their spokesmen's comments was, "Some of my family went down to talk to them" , reminded me of my friend's experience with them, Bullies. Home Schooling that createded a naive boy. ? Excellent reason against it .

Grizz
You get no argument about me on the family. They probably have a whack more cash than most of us. Hope the kid learned a lesson. In many situations, a few knuckle sandwiches accomplishes a helluva lot more than any of us teachers ever can. The brother who tried to grab the tractor needed a bloody nose too, imo. I don't defend cops blindly, but this was ridiculous.

I am not a fan of homeschooling either. There are tons of success stories for sure, and that is great for those families. However, I have taught a fair number of the kids once it gets too complicated for the folks. Let's just say that many were obviously missing out on the socialization that happens in a school beyond the curriculum.

Last edited by sns2; 08-12-2020 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:23 AM

Kid must be very sheltered. When in line for a check stop, you cannot go around or evade a the check stop, even in a tractor. That for sure will draw a crowd of cops. It also said it was 9pm did it not? I can see the cops going to check him out for sure.

It said they farm at Sundre, but this was at Didsbury. It likely land where they Custom crop, so it wasn't "his field". Not sure if that makes a difference.

Kid should have gotten out of the tractor.

Most of you are reacting to one half of the story. Wait for the other half before passing judgement.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:27 AM

How is this scenario different than any of us being caught at a train crossing on the way to work?
Old 08-12-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Yes, because nobody is playing the race card here. If the tractor operator was a different race, the media would be all over this, and there would likely be protests.
Except ……….. this media IS all over it and WE ARE ALL talking about it.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
yes we had a good laugh we all agree that not everyone is from the farm. It is like when you hire a operator to run your dozer or hoe and he gets there and says i can drive those for you those are the type that you show the door . and yes that kid got what he deserves
Yet you are arguing with people who are from a farm. Lol.
Just because you don’t use the term correct doesn’t mean the term is wrong. Yes it was a vehicle, yes it was a motor vehicle, yes it was a tractor. Doesn’t matter on the terminology as all have to stop for the police no matter what word you wanna choose.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Like I posted earlier. I agree with Tools theory. Its seems more likely the kid was at fault.
I do suspect that the Sheriff could have handled it better. According to the kids version they jumped him the second he didn't do what they said. No one was at risk here. This kid does not seem scary to me.
There is lots of rural crime and suspicious outside people in rural areas at night who have no reason to be there. This kid obviously wasn't hurting anybody and belongs there..
On the Go Fund Me page, I see a pic of the Sheriffs pulling him out of the tractor. The tractor is clearly on the highway.

What am I missing?

That picture is completely at odds with the boys story and the families Go Fund Me account of the events. Here is the relevant part of Go Fund Me narrative :” So not knowing what was going on but with no time to waste he drove into the ditch to cross into the field. A lot of fields don't even have approaches and you have to drive into the ditch to get into them anyway. Officers immediately came running after him and surrounded him”

I can’t post the pic or I would. But it doesn’t jibe with the story so I call BS on the family.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Yet you are arguing with people who are from a farm. Lol.
Just because you don’t use the term correct doesn’t mean the term is wrong. Yes it was a vehicle, yes it was a motor vehicle, yes it was a tractor. Doesn’t matter on the terminology as all have to stop for the police no matter what word you wanna choose.
Yes it was a tractor . and yes i know you have to stop for cops .
Old 08-12-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Let's just say that many were obviously missing out on the socialization that happens in a school beyond the curriculum.
Homeschooling is simply an easy target for kids who most likely have issues at home anyway. How many kids are succeeding in the public system who, outside school, have zero socialization? With caring, loving parents who put the work in for their kids, home schooling wins every time IMO. If kids don't have that at home, it's a tough road regardless, but getting out of the home likely has some benefits.