Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2020, 03:21 PM

Default So, This is Progress.

Although I have to wonder if 'Progress' has to involve the destruction of something good that already exists. And there is no pressing need to destroy it, other than, Progress.

Maybe it will be a great improvement. But I'm not holding my breath.

https://www.westernstandardonline.co...y-new-blm-one/

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-11-2020, 03:25 PM

On top of that the City wants to spend 500,000 dollars doing it. This is a City that is raising residential and Company property taxes by huge amounts because they are in Nenschi's own words, in "Dire Financial straits" but they can **** away half a million to be politically correct.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
On top of that the City wants to spend 500,000 dollars doing it. This is a City that is raising residential and Company property taxes by huge amounts because they are in Nenschi's own words, in "Dire Financial straits" but they can **** away half a million to be politically correct.
Only a paltry half million....that's small potatoes for a public art project in the city....

Wasn't there an election a while ago and some other guy could have been elected instead of Spendshi?

Calgary doesn't have a tax revenue problem, it has had a major spending problem for quite a while. I can't believe he got re-elected.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-11-2020, 03:31 PM

What a waste of taxpayer money. Wanting to leave a “legacy” before they get booted out is surely more important than anything else.

Use that money to help the families that need it not this trash.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Where does it say half a million? It’s a dumb idea, but no need for hyperbole when the article is right there
Old 08-11-2020, 03:40 PM

I have to wonder what the BLM mural will look like? I have a funny feeling it won't be as pleasing as the one they want to cover. So much available space and that nice painting has to go. BLM pushes and the city caves.

Politicians are bending over backwards to show they are on side with the latest trends, just to appease a vote base.

Wonder what Donny boy will do to match his buddy in Calgary.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:40 PM

This is why I permanently moved out of Calgary.

Edmonton has the same issue.

Cities are United Nations satellite states. Authoritarian. Communist utopia's.
That will eventually fall.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Where does it say half a million? It’s a dumb idea, but no need for hyperbole when the article is right there
It is 'only' $120,000 for 4 murals....But what is the value of the art they are painting over? City already paid for that, right?

Doesn't matter, it's Progress.

Old 08-11-2020, 03:49 PM

His purpleness and all the other academics will just say they are so smart that we can't understand them.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:59 PM

Wonder what the next band wagon to get on will be??
Old 08-11-2020, 04:11 PM

Wow.

Your halfwit is almost as bad as our halfwit.
Maybe they should get together and make a full-wit.

Who am I kidding? What would likely happen is that they would cancel each other out and make a nitwit.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
It is 'only' $120,000 for 4 murals....But what is the value of the art they are painting over? City already paid for that, right?

Doesn't matter, it's Progress.
It's not progress it's virtue signalling at it's finest. If you disagree you are obviously a racist, Right???
Old 08-11-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
It's not progress it's virtue signalling at it's finest. If you disagree you are obviously a racist, Right???
Right.

Old 08-11-2020, 04:37 PM

The existing mural is uplifting, it would be a shame to lose it, especially to a force-fed agenda that may have started as one thing, but has morphed into obnoxious race-bullying (ironically, the very thing its campaigning against). If they want a BLM mural somewhere, let it be put on a building owned by someone who wants it there, and who wants to pay for it themselves. There is no need for the taxpayers to be footing the bill to satisfy our city councilors overwhelming compulsions toward virtue-signaling.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The existing mural is uplifting, it would be a shame to lose it, especially to a force-fed agenda that may have started as one thing, but has morphed into obnoxious race-bullying (ironically, the very thing its campaigning against). If they want a BLM mural somewhere, let it be put on a building owned by someone who wants it there, and who wants to pay for it themselves. There is no need for the taxpayers to be footing the bill to satisfy our city councilors overwhelming compulsions toward virtue-signaling.
Calgary council needs a thorough house cleaning, they still think there's an oil boom.
Grizz
Old 08-11-2020, 05:43 PM

yet again a vocal minority decides they are more important than all the rest. Also glad I got out of that city what a crock, all those empty buildings and they cant find a blank wall to paint? I think the original artist should just let the new one dry and paint over it like they are going to

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-11-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Well, it depends on which article you read. I have seen everything from 120 to 750. No idea which is correct but anything more than a 5 dollar contribution of tax dollars is totally wacked. This is NOT what we have gov to do.

As far as appealing to a voter base, how stupid are these councillors that they dont realise the number of votes on that side of the arguement is virtually zero.

Last edited by Dean2; 08-11-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Correct.

I wounder if BLM will publicly denounce this monster?
https://abc11.com/25-year-old-wilson...r-old/6363046/

Or the black cop that was just gunned down while working his second job as a USPS driver? 3 thugs that could use BLM's wisdom, where are they?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/arrested-m...ry?id=72266824

Or the kids birthday party that was just shot up

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/ar...d-15329088.php

Crickets on all these stories, and on the hundreds of shootings each and every night across America, and nothing from BLM. Shocking, isn't it?

Black lives matter only when it fits their agenda, when the shooter is white.

Black on black crime is ok to them and we are supposed to just ignore it the same way they do.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:50 PM

Calgary has that

Edmonton has silver balls

All those things that make you stop in your tracks, in total awe of their universal message to the world....

"We wasted your money"
Old 08-11-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Calgary has that

All those things that make you stop in your tracks, in total awe of their universal message to the world....

"We wasted your money"
So that's what that feeling is!

Old 08-12-2020, 08:01 AM

In Calgary, we have that $470K blue ring (hula hoop) by the airport. I've got some magic beans I can sell you.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 08-12-2020, 09:01 AM

BLM riding high and so are our silly hall reps. So there's proof in the pudding that our MDM (Money Doesn't Matter to us). His Purple-ness already has his legacy and remembrance. It's at the corner of 36st and 17av SE Calgary
Old 08-12-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Calgary has that

"We wasted your money"
I was driving by the silver balls the other day with my 11 year old daughter, we had been by there several times, this time she asked what they were for? I told her it was consider to be art, she looked at me with raised eyebrows, I told her the city paid half a million dollars for them, she looked at me like I had three eyes. Didn't believe me. Then she said " Dad that's just dumb!"

Numbshe and Donny do good should get in a canoe and paddle off into the sunrise! Numbeshee can take the stern and Donny do good can play his guitar and sing koom-by-ya from the bow. These two progressive mayors are doing more harm then good for their cities.

BW
Old 08-12-2020, 10:44 AM

Exclamation In defence of BLM

This is all on our virtue signalling city council and his grand purpleness, Spendshi.
The local BLM supporters have started a petition on change.org to stop this stupidity being perpetrated by our oh-so-well-meaning city council.
Here is the story, it includes an embedded link to the petition, for those that want to sign it.
https://calgarysun.com/opinion/colum...-dfbbcd514654/

Excerpt:
Quote:
But now it’s to replaced and that is leading to controversy. An online petition has been started by Maka Onwudiwe on Change.org to stop the destruction of the mural that is still in remarkable condition.

“The BLM movement represents inclusivity,” writes Onwudiwe. “With the current state of the world and the misinformation that has been spread about the BLM movement, we believe this location choice only adds to the chaos. The act of covering a historical and racially inclusive mural about disenfranchised Calgarians with one that only directly recognizes one group is a contradiction of what the BLM movement stands for,” she wrote.
“As supporters of the BLM movement, we are signing this petition to show that we do not support the location of this mural.” More than 2,000 people had signed the petition in just a few hours by Tuesday night.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-12-2020, 03:42 PM
Banned

Word on TV says its postponed until next year, "its not safe given the circumstances".
Old 08-12-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Word on TV says its postponed until next year, "its not safe given the circumstances".
Too many straight, hard working, upstanding citizens complained and triggered the pink flamingo group. According to the Herald.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:55 PM
Banned

Good! Some common sense finally.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Good! Some common sense finally.
Wanting to preserve a mural, with a positive , uplifting message is now vitriolic and racist ? As a society, we're done.

Grizz
Old 08-12-2020, 05:51 PM
Banned

I meant good for keeping it in place. Plenty of empty walls around city, even though i strongly oppose BLM anything.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:54 PM

Amazing stuff.

Quote:
Of the 20 initial locations Pink Flamingo had chosen, there was also pushback from some property owners.

"Some buildings did not want the subject matter on their building, even though we don't have the art chosen yet," Dunne said.

"We still have our proposals open right now."
I can just imagine how the conversations with landlords went.

BLM - We'd like to put up a BLM mural on the side of your building.
Landlord - What kind of mural are you thinking of?
BLM - We're not sure, but we want you to let us put it on your building.
Landlord - I don't think I'm interested.
BLM - %^&$#@ racists.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ment-1.5683675

They are not doing their cause any good by wanting to cover up the beloved 'Giving Wings to the Dream' mural with their own mural.
Find another location.