Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2020, 01:16 PM

risky gambles day trade Tvix ...
Old 06-11-2020, 02:06 PM

Well, not quite 2000, but -1861 close for the DOW, tomorrow being Friday, I see more of the same, crazy
Old 06-11-2020, 05:57 PM

Yup ... not a good day.

D.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:01 PM

An analyst on Fox Business says it is profit taking, should be short term.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:58 AM

Looks like they were correct. Nice rebound today.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:12 AM

Sure getting tough getting a read on things when the feds change the rules every 10 minutes
Old 06-16-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Sure getting tough getting a read on things when the feds change the rules every 10 minutes
I give up for the foreseeable future. No rhyme or reason to any of these upticks....commodities go up and commodity based stocks fall. Makes no sense at all.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
I give up for the foreseeable future. No rhyme or reason to any of these upticks....commodities go up and commodity based stocks fall. Makes no sense at all.
I guess you haven't heard the federal reserve is buying securities and extending funds to the central banks so they can directly buy on the exchange. not hard to move the market with a few taps on the keyboard. in other news bookface has launched a new digital currency called the Libra. let's see if you can fill in the blank spaces in this puzzle.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:59 PM

US China trade deal is over.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/23/whit...l-is-over.html

Last edited by bdub; 06-22-2020 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:28 PM

Now its back on as future drop sharply lol. Can't make this crap up.

https://www.fxstreet.com/news/wh-tra...j-202006230204
Old 08-11-2020, 12:17 PM

Figured it was time to awaken this thread. So, NASDAQ is at an all time high, from previous high to low back to record high in less than 5 months, qualifies as the shortest bear market cycle in history. TSX is back to within 1400 points of its previous high of 18,000 mid Feb this year and is 200 points above the 16,400 it was at Aug 2019.

So, anyone that sold out in the drop fearing it will drop more and are still on the sidelines, you missed the window big time. Those that sold out in Feb and are still sitting on the sidelines, you missed out to but your rational is you are probably waiting for the next big drop to buy back in because it is going to crash again this fall don't you know. How are you feeling about earning 1/4 of a percent interest in an environment where real inflation is still clipping along above 2%. Hope you don't need income from your investments to live on.

For those that had quality stocks and gutted it out, you are back to where you were, TSX at 16,600 now, versus 12 months ago when the TSX was at 16,400 and closing in on where you were Feb 20th before the drop. In addition you have collected your dividends for the past 6 months and if they were in a DRIP you were buying more of that stock at depressed prices.

For those that sold out prior to Feb 20th and bought back in in late March early April, my hat is off to you, you are the truly rare breed that can time the market perfectly.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:30 PM

My portfolio has recovered 90% + of what evaporated during the crash. Essentially portfolio valuation is within 1% of where it was at prior to the dip.

I didn't lose any sleep. And I got to say to my wife (who wanted me to sell everything at the bottom)....'see??'

That was worth it right there.

But I still see the potential for another major contraction. Everything seems like such an artificial house of cards to me. Sooner or later, doesn't somebody have to pay the piper?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-11-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
But I still see the potential for another major contraction. Everything seems like such an artificial house of cards to me. Sooner or later, doesn't somebody have to pay the piper?
The market scares the hell out of me right now---sidelines for a while yet
Old 08-11-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
My portfolio has recovered 90% + of what evaporated during the crash. Essentially portfolio valuation is within 1% of where it was at prior to the dip.

I didn't lose any sleep. And I got to say to my wife (who wanted me to sell everything at the bottom)....'see??'

That was worth it right there.

They do, but given our ages, it won't be in our lifetimes. As long as Central Banks can hold interest rates near zero, it doesn't matter how much debt gets added, there is no annual cost to the new debt. The ones that are truly screwed are our kids and grand kids. There will come a time where people are no longer willing to hold G8 debt at zero or negative interest rates. IF you want to take care of your kids, invest in income producing property like quality farm land, industrial property in the Toronto, Vancouver areas. Hard assets that earn real income is what I would pass on to heirs.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
The market scares the hell out of me right now---sidelines for a while yet
I don't blame you. I've had a conservative 'buy and hold' type portfolio for a while. Large cap, blue chip, dividend paying, well managed, solid balance sheets....boring. Or 'mediocre' as a friend told me....just before 50% of his sexy investments gone blown up. Sad, he was really getting great returns too....

I figure if my holdings get blown up, the whole world has gone to hell anyway and it won't matter. At that point my guns and ammo are the best investment ever.

I don't see any upside in moving to cash preemptively. I'd rather have shares (ownership) in companies that are well positioned to survive and continue to have revenues, than to hold fiat paper.

But, what do I know...? The whole market and world are currently insane as far as I can see.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-11-2020, 12:43 PM

I bought the best companies I could afford while they were down in March. Just going to hold them now, as inflations coming with all the new money printed.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 08-11-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:

There has to be another contraction coming, to much bad news heading our way. I thought the two contractions would be closer together though.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-11-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I don't blame you. I've had a conservative 'buy and hold' type portfolio for a while. Large cap, blue chip, dividend paying, boring. Or 'mediocre 'as a friend told me....just before 50% of his sexy investments gone blown up. Sad, he was really getting great returns too....

I figure if my holdings get blown up, the whole world has gone to hell anyway and it won't matter. At that point my guns and ammo are the best investment ever.

I don't see any upside in moving to cash preemptively. I rather have shares (ownership) in companies that are well positioned to survive and continue to have revenues, than to hold fiat paper.

But, what do I know...? The whole market and world are currently insane as far as I can see.
Yep, this is the best strategy. You sleep a lot better at night with this strategy as well. Buy good companies, at a good price, that pay dividends, and do it consistently.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 08-11-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
They do, but given our ages, it won't be in our lifetimes. As long as Central Banks can hold interest rates near zero, it doesn't matter how much debt gets added, there is no annual cost to the new debt. The ones that are truly screwed are our kids and grand kids. There will come a time where people are no longer willing to hold G8 debt at zero or negative interest rates. IF you want to take care of your kids, invest in income producing property like quality farm land, industrial property in the Toronto, Vancouver areas. Hard assets that earn real income is what I would pass on to heirs.
I think you are right in your assessment. For the time being, my main concern is to get through retirement in good shape and not be a burden on the kids....if we have anything to leave them, bonus. We have invested a tremendous amount to get them educated and started out in life (and still not done with that). We hope that pays the best long term dividends.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:26 PM

There are still a few deal to be had in certain sectors, i cash out of gold mining and planning to re enter the tech sector.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:36 PM

I am glad I did what I did this year. Sold some at the high and then started buying back in at the lows. Being selective of course. Now my portfolio is up substantially. And yes, the world has gone a bit crazy. Increased my cash position a bit in the last couple months. Some tech stocks appeared to be getting a bit frothy so sold some off.

I am anticipating another contraction in the first half of 2021. I will assess that as we move forward.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:25 PM

I held on to everything and lots dipping below 20% but everything has pretty much recovered and just bought more while everything was low.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 08-12-2020, 05:52 AM

I am still down 9% from the February peak due to holding a bunch of airline stocks. It will be interesting to see what happens just before the November election as the uncertainty will result in another smaller roller coaster. I think a global correction is on the menu due to the borrowed money and contraction of commerce from the corona virus. There are many stocks trading at high multiples that I cannot see being worth it and showing exaggerated speculation, Tesla is at 707 for one. Wont take much of a wind to knock the house of cards down.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:49 AM

Enormous amounts of RRSP and 401K money that has to go somewhere as banks only paying 1% on GIC's.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:59 PM

FYI ... this one
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/pa...wP7QrJDzDmS0mc
Old 08-12-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
There has to be another contraction coming, to much bad news heading our way. I thought the two contractions would be closer together though.
US election year markets will hold their own or rise, Wed Nov 4 going to be a very bad day.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:43 PM

Warren Buffet just dumped a large portion of his stake in US banks JP Morgan and Wells Fargo and the rest of his Goldmen Sachs. Going to be interesting to see how the stocks react next week. Glad to be on the sidelines in that sector for now.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:36 AM

^ Is the guy setting up for the storm in Q4 or early next year?
Old 08-17-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ Is the guy setting up for the storm in Q4 or early next year?
Who knows. Seems to be betting on worsening consumer/corporate credit conditions. He reduced the sizes in all his Banks except BAC. Visa, Mastercard reduced. He also added to his Suncor position by 28% and of course his new bet on Barrick.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:07 PM

More Green than Red today ....

D.