Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-09-2021, 04:39 PM

Default Undeveloped Government Road Allowances

So i have a question. If its an undeveloped government road allowance can a person use it access a creek or river or lake without asking for permission from a land owner? I know its owned by the county and usually there is a road developed but i have come across this situation a few times where there is an Undeveloped Government Road Allowance. I am hoping someone on here can shed some light on this for me as if i can access the water using this method and bypass asking landowner permission it would be alot easier for sure.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:49 PM

Its considered crownland and no one can stop you from using it.

Some landowners think they can but not legally
Old 01-09-2021, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post

Thats what I thought but i just wanted to get a secon option. Thnks!
Old 01-09-2021, 06:49 PM

You may wish to check with the county office before accessing. Some undeveloped road allowances have been leased to adjacent land owners.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post

Might want to be very careful. Some road allowance has been leased and I believe there are some that have actually been sold to land owners. This was always an issue way back in my seismic days. Road allowances were always considered free to travel. A few times, that was not the case. Also, make sure you don't stray off the the road allowance. Easy enough to do after a few hundred meters.

I have always considered all land in the forestry to be crown land. A few years back on the forestry trunk road, some where around kilometer 45 north of Dutch Creek, someone put up some no trespassing/private property signs. I pretty much laughed, and thought, "Yeah, right." Upon further investigation apparently, there is a quarter or maybe a section that is indeed privately held. Some kind of deal from back in the homestead days and apparently it still stands today. I didn't bother checking it out in depth, there is too much alternate river access.

Point being, check with county or MD office before you get yourself into an issue. Wouldn't hurt to check with adjacent land owners either. A small amount of respect and courtesy can go a long way.

JMHO