Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-21-2020, 12:36 PM
Banned

Default Need a new reel for my 3wt

Ive been using a Hardy CC click drag for the past few years with my 3wt. This past August it failed on me for the second time while I was a couple hundred vertical feet down in a canyon with my other gear in the truck. So again I spent the day fishing with a twig jammed in there so it wasn’t free spooling. The Hardy system relies on a plastic drag clicker that apparently breaks pretty easily. The last few seasons I probably use this setup more than anything else so while I’ve gotten a couple spare clickers from Mikes reel repair I’m thinking I want to replace the reel. I’d prefer to stay with a click drag but the options are limited.

I don’t like the Reddington Zero, it feels cheap.
I was interested in the Echo Shadow click but that’s got the same plastic clicker.
The Sage Click and the Ross Colorado are both $400, ouch.
The Orvis Battenkill click is a small arbour, I’d prefer large.

Is there another option I should look at or is it time to say forget it and buy a disc drag?
Old 12-21-2020, 01:00 PM

My last few reel purchases were from www.allenflyfishing.com
Good quality product, medium priced and lots of levels of selection
Old 12-21-2020, 05:13 PM

You're going from a Hardy, it'd going to be hard not to spend cash to get that feeling again.
I have a Sage Click.... plastic clicker. I've had it since they day they came out. I've had it out in all seasons, never failed.
My next will be a Classic Hardy, golden prince or duchess
Old 12-21-2020, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
You're going from a Hardy, it'd going to be hard not to spend cash to get that feeling again.
I get what you’re trying to say but there’s another side of that. Hardy discontinued this reel because of this flaw and then stopped making the replacement clicker available so when the spares I have now break I’ll be left with a shiny, very well crafted paperweight.

I indeed have a “feeling” about Hardy but it’s not the one you do I guess.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:24 PM

Been fishing with Hardy's for 40+ years and have quite a collection of their classic reels....ALL of which still work perfectly.
If needed, parts are available for all classic Hardy's.

I am not familiar with the CC model you speak of...but I know that Hardy began manufacturing some of their models in Asia...wouldn't touch any of their models made there....
Old 12-21-2020, 07:24 PM

If you can find one, try an Islander IR. It has a metal pawl and spring.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:40 PM

A Hardy Featherweight sits on my 3wt. The Loomis Venture on my 4wt has worked flawlessly for a long time but you want large arbour and not a fortune so how about a Lamson Liquid?
Old 12-21-2020, 08:12 PM

Lots choices, i tend to buy what on sale and seams like a good deal, I like islander, but they kind of heavy, and i think this defeats the purpose of a little 3 WT,
How about an Orvis Hydros, or TFO NV, both of these are mid priced reels,
I sure like my 8-10 hydros, but its kind of hard to compare to a small 3 wt reel.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:34 PM

I have a Loop Evotec 3/5 on my 2 wt rod. Nice and smooth drag, and fairly affordable as far as a quality reel goes.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:09 AM
Banned

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was really tempted by the Islander but I was put off by the price, gonna keep an eye out for a used one I think. I ended up going with an Orvis Battenkill II click, it’s a really good value and matches the rod, with enough backing on it’s almost a large arbour.

Gotta say though, I know it’s the off season and all but stock levels seemed low all over. Anyone who is considering some new gear for next season should keep an eye out.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I was really tempted by the Islander but I was put off by the price, gonna keep an eye out for a used one I think. I ended up going with an Orvis Battenkill II click, it’s a really good value and matches the rod, with enough backing on it’s almost a large arbour.

Gotta say though, I know it’s the off season and all but stock levels seemed low all over. Anyone who is considering some new gear for next season should keep an eye out.
I have the Battenkill on my 2 and weights and I find it great. As you said, enough backing and it almost like like a medium arbour.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:13 AM

Thumbs up New Reel

I would buy used as there are a lot of guys out there who spend the money and then never use them...... keep an eye out on the fishing/second hand sites and be patient something will pop up and usually at half the price of new I prefer the Abel Trs or the Tibor light series and have never paid 200 for one and generally they have had new lines on them Look for a TR1 or a Springcreek you wont regret it The Sage clicks are nice and can be had for around 2 hundred also but you need to be patient and diligent ..... Now's the time to start looking
Old 12-25-2020, 10:31 PM

What about the Lamson Remix or the Guru? I have been looking at these two myself. Not sure if they are good or not.
They seem to be popular and sold out. Price point seems decent.
Anyone have any experience with these?
Old 12-26-2020, 06:33 AM

I have the Lamson Liquid. The reel is cast as opposed to the Remix, which is machined. Same drag system though. I like that it came with extra spools. Two or three years using it now with no problems. The Liquid might scratch a little easier. Not much of a click sound. They are popular. I mentioned this on another thread but watch the sales on cabelas.ca. If they carry the model you want, watch the prices and wait for it.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I get what you’re trying to say but there’s another side of that. Hardy discontinued this reel because of this flaw and then stopped making the replacement clicker available so when the spares I have now break I’ll be left with a shiny, very well crafted paperweight.

I indeed have a “feeling” about Hardy but it’s not the one you do I guess.
I can't imagine you would pay too much to have a machine shop build you some replacements or you could do it yourself with a vice, and files.
It's not much material and I think if it is just a common triangle pawl replicating it with out any power tools is achievable.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I can't imagine you would pay too much to have a machine shop build you some replacements or you could do it yourself with a vice, and files.
It's not much material and I think if it is just a common triangle pawl replicating it with out any power tools is achievable.
It’s more completed than that unfortunately. I don’t know if you could manufacture a metal replacement, it’s some kind of springy polymer. Look at the 3rd picture here.

https://www.mikesreelrepair.com/hard...eries-clicker/

Regardless this isn’t some antique we’re talking about here, they introduced it in 2012.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Ive been using a Hardy CC click drag for the past few years with my 3wt. This past August it failed on me for the second time while I was a couple hundred vertical feet down in a canyon with my other gear in the truck. So again I spent the day fishing with a twig jammed in there so it wasn’t free spooling. The Hardy system relies on a plastic drag clicker that apparently breaks pretty easily. The last few seasons I probably use this setup more than anything else so while I’ve gotten a couple spare clickers from Mikes reel repair I’m thinking I want to replace the reel. I’d prefer to stay with a click drag but the options are limited.

I don’t like the Reddington Zero, it feels cheap.
I was interested in the Echo Shadow click but that’s got the same plastic clicker.
The Sage Click and the Ross Colorado are both $400, ouch.
The Orvis Battenkill click is a small arbour, I’d prefer large.
Is there another option I should look at or is it time to say forget it and buy a disc drag?
I had the exact same problem with my Hardy ultralight, on my 3 weight, so I did the same and received a half dozen clicks under warranty, I threw my even more expensive (supposed higher quality) Ross on there, and went right back to my Ultralight, I just love the way it functions, I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s a higher maintenance real, sorta like a 1911 vs a Glock! (Sorry for the firearm reference)!
Old 12-29-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
It’s more completed than that unfortunately. I don’t know if you could manufacture a metal replacement, it’s some kind of springy polymer. Look at the 3rd picture here.

Regardless this isn’t some antique we’re talking about here, they introduced it in 2012.
Sorry for causing confusion, I wasn't aware the reel was a newer model. I was lazy for not checking the the model.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:15 PM

Van stall
Old 12-29-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Looks like something that could be 3D printed maybe?

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-29-2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Looks like something that could be 3D printed maybe?
Absolutely!

Talk to ken07aovette here...he may be able to help
Old 12-30-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
If you can find one, try an Islander IR. It has a metal pawl and spring.
Those are beauties! Have 4 of that model. Cant go wrong with Canadian made Islander.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:09 PM

I have two.
IR3 on my4 wt and IR2 on my 3
Love them but hard to find used for the reason they are simple and great.
My son has a IR4
Old 03-08-2021, 03:24 PM

Default MaxCatch reel

I believe this is a good bang for your bucks.

Tom
Old 03-18-2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald J View Post
I have the Lamson Liquid. The reel is cast as opposed to the Remix, which is machined. Same drag system though. I like that it came with extra spools. Two or three years using it now with no problems. The Liquid might scratch a little easier. Not much of a click sound. They are popular. I mentioned this on another thread but watch the sales on cabelas.ca. If they carry the model you want, watch the prices and wait for it.
I have several of the Konics, using them for about 6 years now with not a single issue. From my own experience, and what I've read from other owners, Lamson stuff is rock solid. I plan to get decades out of mine.