Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-21-2020, 10:22 PM

Default Gel spun thread (gsp) information

Hi guys
Here is a little info on GSP thread for those that have never used it.
First it is expensive compared to nylon thread but it is well worth the price and here is why. A 75 denier is about the same a 8 ot nylon but many times stronger. It is difficult to break a 75 denier GSP thread without bending your hook while tying. GSP is a flat thread but can be made round by giving it a spin.
I use 75 and 50 denier thread for tying deer hair. The thread is slippery so spinning hair is easier as the hair can slip around the hook on the slippery thread. Sounds crazy but it works. With GSP being flat it doesn't have a tendency to cut the the hair as you spin it. It also doesn't seam to build up like nylon thread.
I use 75 denier down to number 10 hooks then go to 50 denier for smaller hooks. 50 deneir GSP is like a 12 ot nylon. It is fabulous for small drys and it now come in 30 denier. Around size 16 ot according to the info I've seen.
On very large hooks if tying very tight is necessary the 100 to 140 deneir GSP is the answer as I believe it rated at somewhere around 8 to 12 pound test.
Being slippery I sometimes use a drop of glue after tying the thread on the hook.
The colors are limited so I use mostly white as it shows almost clear or takes on the color of the materials being tied on. It takes on color from a felt pen readily.
I do not buy NYLON thread anymore.
I have been tying for 60 years and I tie a lot of flies.
Good tying
Bjay
Old 12-22-2020, 06:11 AM

Thanks for the review Bjay.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-22-2020, 08:13 AM

I like Veevus Gelspun for small flies especially (#14 - 20's) 20's below. It has very little build-up and reduces bulk. Find I can do fewer wraps for the same holding strength. Bjay you might try first running a good quality wax on about an inch or two of the end of the thread before starting your wrap. Helps with the grip initially. Found that it does dull scissors more often and I need to sharpen them more often, even using push to cut. Have started using a stitch ripper and it works great.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations