Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-16-2020, 10:05 PM

Default A worthwhile read from someone who cares!

https://albertaviews.ca/bearing-witn...X4sZjXJqRBPFAs
Old 12-17-2020, 01:39 AM

Good write up with sad observations. Thanks for sharing.

Turns out the federal gov't is giving Alberta 5.6 million for a study of our foothill/front range watersheds and fisheries. Hope the money is managed properly. Several interest groups involved. I'm thinking a study like this might halt any coal mining or logging developments until the study is completed in 2023.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pm...ies-ecosystems
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-17-2020, 07:34 AM

Hopefully the federal government will step in with action to protect SARA (species at risk) in these creeks. The provincial government obviously doesn't care with the amount of logging, atv damage, and now the plans to destroy the hillsides with coal extraction. What a sad inheritance we leave the next generation in the Oldman drainage. I don't think the short term jobs and money going to Austrailian owners is worth what we will give up. On top of that, the legacy of Selenium pollution will last forever. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for Selenium levels to rise out on the fields where irrigation water coming from the Oldman gets broadcast.
It is so sad that a retired Bio has to volunteer to collect data rather than the government investing in managing a dwindling natural treasure.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Hopefully the federal government will step in with action to protect SARA (species at risk) in these creeks. The provincial government obviously doesn't care with the amount of logging, atv damage, and now the plans to destroy the hillsides with coal extraction. What a sad inheritance we leave the next generation in the Oldman drainage. I don't think the short term jobs and money going to Austrailian owners is worth what we will give up. On top of that, the legacy of Selenium pollution will last forever. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for Selenium levels to rise out on the fields where irrigation water coming from the Oldman gets broadcast.

It is so sad that a retired Bio has to volunteer to collect data rather than the government investing in managing a dwindling natural treasure.
I'm with you here. We need the feds to step in. This provincial government has 0 poops to give. I have mailed my provincial MLA and get nothing but an automated response. I message my federal MP and he says there is nothing he can do as it's provincial jurisdiction. Granted our MP is conservative and the liberals are in power so that plays a part. I'll be messaging/emailing members of the federal liberal party in the next day.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2020, 08:02 PM

Why not stop fishing in the drainages in the south? Close fishing for the next 10 years or longer as it would have a positive effect on the drainage. We all want to do the best for the area right? Stay home if you really truly want to help.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Why not stop fishing in the drainages in the south? Close fishing for the next 10 years or longer as it would have a positive effect on the drainage. We all want to do the best for the area right? Stay home if you really truly want to help.
I would gladly do this if all roads were closed and all logging and mining and oil and gas exploration and production were stopped in those drainages. Then those fish might really have a chance.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Anything Lorne Fitch has to say has no relevance to any of the foothill areas I have been involved with. He has an agenda and it is well known.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:07 AM

Lannie, I have absolutely limited my angling days in the foothills for over 20 years. Angling pressure is one of the issues stressing the fish populations....but the issues related to habitat degradation due to ATV use and resource extraction far outweigh what a fishing rod does.
The effect of culverts and sedimentation that come after logging are well established.
The sedimentation and selenium pollution from coal mines are also well known.

The time to reign in angling pressure on species of concern is quickly approaching. Hopefully more people can make better decisions about how they want to enjoy/respect the resource.
As far a coal mining goes, the cost/benefit picture doesn't look good in the long run. I am sure the foreign companies are excited to take the profit and leave the mess. I hope people can see past 10 years
Old 12-18-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Or cut out the poaching, recreational land destruction, logging, mining, cattle grazing, WD transmission, damn building and on and on.
They have a by far a larger effect.
Just thinking outside of the box.

Don
Old 12-18-2020, 11:33 AM

What i see in this thread is people pointing their finger at other users and stating how the other user does much more damage. Everyone who steps foot in the habitat is damaging the eco system but the little damage each individual does is always justified by their personal agenda.
The area in the drainage has been mining coal and logging for generations and people have been coming down to recreate for the same amount of time.
What about the people who live in the S.W.? I think 95% of the people I talk to are pro industry. The amount of cash realized locally from tourism is a pittance.
People on here also routinely bring up the selenium in the Elk River but also spend a lot of time fishing the Elk and it is world class. If you really want to help you need to stay home if you want to do the best for the habitat in the south west. What i see being displayed in the fly fishing section is very hypocritical.

We have the thread against the gravel industry comprised of fly fisherman for the large part wanting to protect the area. Great but they are trying to protect fish that they planted that are not indigenous to the area? They are also trying to kill off the same brookies in other drainages? Then "Marshall" the area creating buffer zones on private land they don't have any stake in? WTH?
Fisherman on the Crowsnest River leave more garbage along the river than any industry will. We need to clean up our own back yard before pointing our fingers at the other users....This is why access for fishing and hunting is tightening up so much.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
What i see in this thread is people pointing their finger at other users and stating how the other user does much more damage. Everyone who steps foot in the habitat is damaging the eco system but the little damage each individual does is always justified by their personal agenda.
The area in the drainage has been mining coal and logging for generations and people have been coming down to recreate for the same amount of time.
What about the people who live in the S.W.? I think 95% of the people I talk to are pro industry. The amount of cash realized locally from tourism is a pittance.
People on here also routinely bring up the selenium in the Elk River but also spend a lot of time fishing the Elk and it is world class. If you really want to help you need to stay home if you want to do the best for the habitat in the south west. What i see being displayed in the fly fishing section is very hypocritical.

We have the thread against the gravel industry comprised of fly fisherman for the large part wanting to protect the area. Great but they are trying to protect fish that they planted that are not indigenous to the area? They are also trying to kill off the same brookies in other drainages? Then "Marshall" the area creating buffer zones on private land they don't have any stake in? WTH?
Fisherman on the Crowsnest River leave more garbage along the river than any industry will. We need to clean up our own back yard before pointing our fingers at the other users....This is why access for fishing and hunting is tightening up so much.
Bang on 100%!
Old 12-18-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Bang on 100%!
Placing your head where the sun don’t shine makes damn sure you’ll never write an article like Lorne.

Don
Old 12-18-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey View Post
I would gladly do this if all roads were closed and all logging and mining and oil and gas exploration and production were stopped in those drainages. Then those fish might really have a chance.
Good response. No response from "lannie" on that one.

Cheers.
Old 12-19-2020, 01:10 AM

The adult population of genetically unique westslope cutthroat trout in a river in B.C.’s Kootenay region dropped by 93 per cent this past fall compared with 2017 levels, according to a monitoring report from Teck Resources.

https://thenarwhal.ca/teck-resources...mines-bc-fish/