Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 10:27 PM

Default Hard wire the heater on a Bradly smoker

I have a Bradly 4 rack smoker and the short jumper cord only stays connected by a hair. The slightest jar and it no longer makes contact. Of course the only way I know it's disconnected is when the temperature slowly drops. I'm no electrician but couldn't I get wire of the same rating and some thingamabobs and just hard wire it in? I could tuck it in to keep it clean and dry. Obviously it would void my warranty.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-20-2017, 11:41 PM

You could try another cord
that is the same cord end as computers and monitors etc use
Old 03-21-2017, 12:03 AM
Banned

It's either the cord or the block. Try another cord as suggested, they are universal to computers. If it's the block, you should be able to get one out of any computer power supply.

Should be a simple fix.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:21 AM

Give Bradley a call the parts are cheap, I would suggest ordering a $3 micro switch for the puck drop at the same time shipping is $16 from Canada.

They will ask for the serial number
Old 03-21-2017, 06:32 AM

Bend the pins.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:52 AM

You can also get tie wrap holders that have a plastic washer attachment on them.

http://www.essentracomponents.com/en...unt-heavy-duty

Then all you do is tie wrap the cord to hold it in place. I do this on equipment that is easily bumped or moved and the cord comes out.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:16 AM
Banned

Lol you said your own cure. Warranty, just call them they will send you the new parts
Old 03-21-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250mark1 View Post
You could try another cord
that is the same cord end as computers and monitors etc use
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
It's either the cord or the block. Try another cord as suggested, they are universal to computers. If it's the block, you should be able to get one out of any computer power supply.

Should be a simple fix.
They are not the same as a computer power cord they are female connectors on both ends.
But they are cheap through Bradley.

Mack
Old 03-21-2017, 10:52 AM

A computer cord wouldn't help because it's only about 18" long and has a male end on one end and a female on the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Lol you said your own cure. Warranty, just call them they will send you the new parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Give Bradley a call the parts are cheap, I would suggest ordering a $3 micro switch for the puck drop at the same time shipping is $16 from Canada.

They will ask for the serial number

I wasn't going to replace the plug because I hear this is a common issue and I expect the new one would do the same. I guess I'll call them and ask. The cable tie might be a good idea...Thanks for the tip on the micro switch, did yours have issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Bend the pins.

That might help, thanks!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:45 AM

I called the customer service line, a strange thing happened a person answered the phone! They transferred me to a tec support guy who was really friendly. He suggested wrapping it in electrical tape, and I did, and it made it really snug. I mentioned the L bracket and a cable tie he thought that was a good idea and shouldn't void the warranty. We had about a half hour conversation about smoking in colder temperatures and told me how to test that it's heat output is normal and so on. I wish they didn't have a plug that they know is weak like that but oh well.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:08 PM

[QUOTE=lyallpeder;3499325] Thanks for the tip on the micro switch, did yours have issue [QUOTE]

The puck drop is subjected to a lot of smoke and steam and the switch gets gummed up, you can tell when it's shot the machine will push all the pucks into the water bath it won't shut off.

the switch is $3 shipping was $16 the customer service is excellent they even speak English
Old 03-21-2017, 01:04 PM

[QUOTE=bat119;3499373][QUOTE=lyallpeder;3499325] Thanks for the tip on the micro switch, did yours have issue
Quote:

The puck drop is subjected to a lot of smoke and steam and the switch gets gummed up, you can tell when it's shot the machine will push all the pucks into the water bath it won't shut off.

the switch is $3 shipping was $16 the customer service is excellent they even speak English
Thanks the guy I talked to said to make sure the water bowl isn't filled with boiling water or it make more steam and also why the vent needs to be full open so the hot air and moisture moves up and out.