Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-07-2009, 03:18 PM

Statick, 7mm makes it happen, and myself were out today and were talking about the next get-together. Lets plan on March 21st. This will give everyone plenty of time, and maybe by then we will decide on a venue. If everyone is okay with it, I was thinking somewhere on Mcleod Trail, or possibly 17th Ave. I'll do some more researching to find a good spot that won't be too loud. OPen to suggestions.

Big Zeke....we will work on an all ages venue maybe at this next meeting. Let's see how the turnout is.

All in favour of March 21st?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckay View Post
" . . . All in favour of March 21st?"
March 21st?!

Bbbbbut we've already got four votes for March 14th . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
" . . . 14th is Fine as well . . . So if we're agreed we'll reschedule to the 14th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscott View Post
"14th would be good . . . "
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statick View Post
"The 14th of March works well for me."
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post
" . . . March 14th"
In addition to March 14th, I also like Big Zeke's idea of the Horton Legion, if we can get in. It's close to Macleod Trail & Southland Drive, and it's easy to get to.

I'm all for running with the 14th and trying to get into the Horton Legion.

What say you all???

TF

Old 03-11-2009, 03:41 PM

Sorry TF. Well, if we can still get a few for this weekend, how about LImerick's Pub on Mcleod Trail?

Anyone???
Old 03-11-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
" . . . how about LImerick's Pub on Mcleod Trail? . . . "
As in "Limerick's Traditional Public House" @ 7304 Macleod Trail S.E.? ... ya that would work just fine with me!
http://www.calgarysbestpubs.com/Limericks/index.htm
I've never been there before, but the the general location looks good. It's very close to the intersection of Macleod & Glenmore, making it fairly easy to get to from all corners of the city ...

I would imagine that place 'hops' on the weekends. Do you know if they have a quiet area?

TF

Old 03-11-2009, 05:45 PM

I would love to join, 14th right? I am new here and a new hunter.

just to clarify, we are hunting for beers right
Old 03-11-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post

As in "Limerick's Traditional Public House" @ 7304 Macleod Trail S.E.? ... ya that would work just fine with me!
http://www.calgarysbestpubs.com/Limericks/index.htm
I've never been there before, but the the general location looks good. It's very close to the intersection of Macleod & Glenmore, making it fairly easy to get to from all corners of the city ...

I would imagine that place 'hops' on the weekends. Do you know if they have a quiet area?

TF

I've been there a couple times and found the food great the "service" was good at the time, but , um, yeah quite busy then again it was dinner time. Enjoy the beer hunt.

Last edited by Knownonscents; 03-11-2009 at 11:05 PM. Reason: No quiet area that I saw.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:24 AM

Let's get a certain date settled... the 21st or 14th of March? The 21st may be slightly better for me and for dmckay as well. Of course, if we have participants set on the 14th, then so be it. Either way, let's try and have the finalized time and place posted soon.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:19 AM

Originally I thought the 21st as it would give people more time to be available for that night. I'm open to whenever is good for everyone. I asked a friend about Limericks and they told me it can be noisy. Big Zeke had mentioned the Bull & Finch which I have been to and was fairly quiet.

Who is up for the 14th and who is up for the 21st. There's nothing saying we can't do both!
Old 03-12-2009, 09:10 AM

As I said, I prefer the 21st, but will make it for the 14th if that is the date.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:35 PM

Default Absolutely

I'd love to meet some people who are into hunting. Maybe learn something. I've hunted all my life but would still say i have a lot to learn haha. 4034629811 anytime, any place

J.R.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:22 AM

There are quite a few of us that have prior commitments for tomorrow night, but it looks like a decent number can make it. The Bull & Finch is the one on Mcleod:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=1...num=1&ct=image

The only other issue we might have is recognizing who's who? Any suggestions? I don't imagine everyone has some kind of camo. That would make us stand out.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270!BigGame View Post

" . . . Ph.# xxxxxxxxxxx anytime, any place"
From the poem 'Desiderata' by Max Ehrmann; " ... The world is full of trickery ...". We can multiply that by 10 when we are on the internet. I would caution against posting personal information on an open/public internet forum.

Quote:

"There are quite a few of us that have prior commitments for tomorrow night . . . "
I, for one, do not have my heart set on having the meeting on the 14th ... especially if a number of us have prior commitments. The 21st will work for me just as well ... actually, it might even work a bit better for me.

About a week ago, there were at least 4 who expressed an interest in having the next meeting on the 14th, but hardly any of them have posted back since.

If it's all the same to those who are still interested, I'm for postponing our next meeting to the 21st.

TF

Old 03-13-2009, 11:48 AM

Why not both?

TF, I've had PM's from the following saying they can make it tomorrow night:

Big Zeke
brianscott
steveO
Statick
7mm makes it happen
270!Big game

With you and myself, that makes eight of us. Still a better turn out than last time. We can keep the 21st planned as well.

What say you?
Old 03-13-2009, 12:27 PM

TriggerFinger, it would be great if you could make it, I look forward to meeting you.

I presume 8pm is the designated time.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:24 AM

Okay....so for whomever can make it. Bull & Finch on Mcleod Trail tonight at 8 pm. Here is a link to the map:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=1...num=1&ct=image

Wear camo if you can.....tryin to figure out a way we can recognize each other.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:29 AM

I'm In (March 14th)!

Thanks for clarifying 'which' Bull & Finch Pub ... I think there are at least three in Calgary. The one that Mr. Mckay describes is very close to the N.E. corner of the Canyon Meadows Dr. and Macleod Tr. intersection (i.e. Avenida strip-mall complex). That B&F is so close to where I live, I could almost walk there!
http://www.calgaryrestaurants.ca/bas...acleod%20South
Any thoughts on 'where' in the pub we should try to meet? It's been a looong time since I was there last ... I can't remember much of what the interior looks like. Do they have a quiet area/corner?

TF

P.S.
Wearing camo is good ... they might think we're with the military and give us a special deal on drinks!

Old 03-14-2009, 12:22 PM

Default Are you sure on the name?

Are ya sure that is the Bull & Finch ...I thought it was the Barley Mill (it has been a while since I was over that way).

Nonetheless, we all have the address, let's meet there at 8 tonight. I'm on a short leash so probably have can stick around for 1-2 hrs max.

Looking forward to it.

Zeke
Old 03-14-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
"Are ya sure that is the Bull & Finch ...I thought it was the Barley Mill . . . I'm on a short leash so probably have can stick around for 1-2 hrs max . . .
The location Mr. McKay has given us (13226 Macleod Trail SE) is now called the Bull & Finch Pub, at least according to this; http://www.calgaryrestaurants.ca/bas...acleod%20South

And no worries ... I'm sure one of the pub staff will lend us a knife so we can cut you free of that leash.

TF

Old 03-14-2009, 05:12 PM

I'm not sure of the area inside either, hence the wearing camo idea. I'll be there right at eight or just before and will bring a sign for the table "Alberta Outdoorsmen". Barring that, camo jacket. Gonna call and see if they will hold a table and maybe post a sign
Old 03-14-2009, 05:36 PM

What a cluster"?*#. Can you tell I'm organized. Three hours before our meet and I find out that the Bull and Finch on Mcleod is now Halo, a restaurant that is booked up tonight. The closest thing to there is a Boston Pizza that has a lounge. Hopefully, everyone sees this. Boston Pizza is in the Avenida Plaza. I will go to Halo and wait for a bit. Black 2008 Ford F-150 supercrew. Everyone leave your firearms at home, don't want anyone shootin me. : )
Old 03-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Gone Hunting

wow!!!...sorry for your luck...so much effort....not laughing....just hope things work out for you guys...BTW....think it's a great idea...... restauarnts and pubs change names etc. so often now,,, nobody's fault.....might work...hope so!!!!...wish i lived closer....are grey haired guys allowed????....lol
Old 03-14-2009, 06:05 PM

Boston Pizza. 101-12445 Lake Fraser Drive, SE

There is a table in the lounge under Alberta Outdoorsmen
Old 03-14-2009, 06:12 PM

Default Enough to make a good man drink

McKay, this has been rough so thanks for sticking with it...The fact that there has been so much eMail traffic makes me hopeful for a good turnout.

Looking forward to meeting you, see you at BPs at 8.

Zeke
Old 03-14-2009, 06:13 PM

Of course grey haired guys are allowed hal53. You are the guys that have the great stories and advise for us newbies. I have a few myself.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Gone Hunting

only joking......would love to be there....distance a bit of a problem since i got out of that rat race.....enjoy tell some stories....learn and drive safe....
Hal
Old 03-14-2009, 07:27 PM

Okay, so I know this is kind of a no no, but I'm putting my number up here. Hopefully anyone who is showing up tonight gets a look at the thread before they head out.

The Bull & Finch on Mcleod is now a restaurant called Halo, so we are meeting at the Boston Pizza lounge in Avenida shopping centre, near where the Bull & Finch was. So, if anyone feels like screamin at me or needs directions, call me at (403) 608-2504
Old 03-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Gone Hunting

phoned them to put a round on my tab,,,they wouldn,t do it would not take my cc privacy crap....sheesh!!!!!!!!!!# 403 271-7777 talked to both managers
Lake fFraser Dr. SE ....oh well...i tried let me know how it goes....
Hal
Old 03-14-2009, 10:23 PM

Hmmm ... just got back home from looking for a 'Bull & Finch' near Macleod Tr. & Canyon Meadows Dr. for well over an hour . . . no luck.

I stopped by a number of pubs/restaurants in the immediate area (Rickys, Original Joe's, Halo, Rat & Parrot, etc. ... ). No one seemed to know of a 'Bull & Finch' in the area.

When I finnaly gave up and went home, I called one of the Bull & Finch locations in the phone book. They told me that there hasn't been a Bull & Finch Pub in that area for several years now.

TF

Old 03-14-2009, 10:33 PM

TF.....so sorry. I left instructions at that Halo. We are down at BPs in Avenida
Old 03-14-2009, 10:35 PM

My Dad and I also spent about 45 minutes looking for the bull & finch also but with no luck.Glad we were not the only ones not to check the thread before we left maybe next time hope everybody had a good time.Cheers Lucky