Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-29-2017, 08:40 PM

Default White Canada Goose With a Black Head and White Cheekpatch

Saw a large flock of birds today and saw a white one among the flock of about 200 canadas. It had a Canada goose black neck and cheek patch though. Has anyone else ever seen anything like it?
Old 03-29-2017, 09:09 PM
Banned

I have seen hybrids like those mixed with snow geese...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/215/5...e1429cdddf.jpg
Old 03-29-2017, 10:31 PM

That's cool! The one I saw was the opposite it looked like the one in this link but was a brighter white.
https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3255129
Old 03-30-2017, 04:40 PM

Leucistic Canada Goose.....
Old 03-31-2017, 05:52 AM

Thumbs up

I can't recall ever seeing such a thing... Geese are a phenomenal bird, would be interesting!

While I admittedly haven't seen such a sight, I figure my instinct would be to presume it to be some other bird (perhaps swan) flying in with some Geese. When they are moving fast at elevation, it can be hard to tell what's what way up there.

Not saying it isn't a Canada. Am saying it's interesting!
Old 03-31-2017, 07:31 AM

A friend of mine shot a snow/lesser cross yesterday.neat lookin bird!theres lotsa crosses out there ya just have to be lucky enough to either shoot one by accident or pick it outa the flock!coolest I saw was a speck/snow cross sitting in a field 75 yards from my truck in one of my shoots once.beautiful bird I'll never forget seein that one!another neat one a friend has is a snow with no black wing tips..An no it's not a swan.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:50 AM

Saw one like that last September while goose hunting in the Peace country. I actually got to watch it several times while watching the field the few days before hunting it. It had the white body and check patch...but the dark neck and head. The one thing I noticed was that the dark parts didn't look black as a regular Canada...but almost a dark charcoal. It was the same size as the other Canada's it hung around with but just a different colour.
This was in a full section of peas that had 8-9 thousand birds (both Specks and Canada's feeding on it. The interesting was that there was also another white mottled goose that hung with the Specks. It had the beak/face markings of a speck...but was significantly bigger than the other whitefronts around it. I'm guessing this second white bird was a hybrid of some sort. I did manage to take pics of that one and will post them if I can find them. Those 2 birds sure stood out...even in the middle of 1000's of other geese. I was hoping to see them on the day of the hunt but I never did.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman160 View Post
A friend of mine shot a snow/lesser cross yesterday.neat lookin bird!theres lotsa crosses out there ya just have to be lucky enough to either shoot one by accident or pick it outa the flock!coolest I saw was a speck/snow cross sitting in a field 75 yards from my truck in one of my shoots once.beautiful bird I'll never forget seein that one!another neat one a friend has is a snow with no black wing tips..An no it's not a swan.
Please post pics! Would love to see it. What was the colouring of the snow/speck cross?
Old 03-31-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
Please post pics! Would love to see it. What was the colouring of the snow/speck cross?
Pm sent clear your inbox lol
Old 03-31-2017, 01:37 PM

image.jpg
Here's a pic of one of the geese I described in my previous post on this thread. The quality isn't great as I couldn't find the original...but did manage to find an IPhone pic I had taken of my computer screen. Like I stated earlier, this goose flew and fed with the specks, but was noticeably bigger and had plenty of white splotches. I'm not a goose connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination so any opinions as to what type of hybrid this might be would be welcome...
Old 03-31-2017, 01:42 PM

image.jpg
Here is another pic of it...not sure why it is turned...
Old 03-31-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Saw a large flock of birds today and saw a white one among the flock of about 200 canadas. It had a Canada goose black neck and cheek patch though. Has anyone else ever seen anything like it?
About 20 years ago there was one in Calgary I used to see on a regular basis. It was pure white. They roosted in the same area on the Bow every day. I come to the conclusion that it was a Canada and even though it was white on white the cheek patch was defined.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
I have seen hybrids like those mixed with snow geese...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/215/5...e1429cdddf.jpg
Is that one a hybrid or the blue juvenile phase of snow?
Old 03-31-2017, 06:06 PM

Some of these geese that we think of as hybrid just be some type of recessive gene that manifests in a type of albino bird.

A snow with this recessive gene might not have black wing tips and a spec may just have more white and the Canada that I saw might have manifested more like silver and white.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
That's cool! The one I saw was the opposite it looked like the one in this link but was a brighter white.
https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3255129
Now that I see your picture, I think that the one I saw was probably silver and white. That is body white, patch white and neck silver. I always saw it in the water and never had a chance to observe its feet.