Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-15-2017, 03:05 PM

Default Trigger release vs thumb release

Hey everyone,

Just wondering what everyone's opinion is regarding the release they use. I am in the market for a new release. Historically I have used the trigger release as my bow was mainly for hunting but since I intend on focusing more on 3D and target while also bowhunting, I am wondering what is the pros and cons of each type.

So let me know your thoughts regarding accuracy, mobility, ease of use etc

Morb
Old 03-15-2017, 04:07 PM

i picked up a Stan Element it is a pull through and so far I really like it .... if you are used to using a trigger and you get a thumb have it tied off to your wrist just in case you let go of the release it doesn't go through your riser or sight ... it happens... I think once I get really comfortable with it I will try a thumb trigger and a back tension..
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 03-15-2017, 04:11 PM

I have always used a caliper release and continue to, 25+ years of using the same style has me set in my ways. Some of the newer caliper releases allow you to shoot them similar to a back tension.

LC
Old 03-15-2017, 05:21 PM

I shot fingers for 20 years and then the last 15 with a caliper release that was a hard change to do but did it.. just lately I have used the pull through and find it is better release then the caliper style ... best though is to try them out ....
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 03-15-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I have always used a caliper release and continue to, 25+ years of using the same style has me set in my ways. Some of the newer caliper releases allow you to shoot them similar to a back tension.

LC
What caliper release do you use Lefty? I have used the same release for a really long time so it is time for something new regardless if I go thumb release or trigger. Just interested to know what everyone likes.

Morb
Old 03-15-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
I shot fingers for 20 years and then the last 15 with a caliper release that was a hard change to do but did it.. just lately I have used the pull through and find it is better release then the caliper style ... best though is to try them out ....
That's great advise! Thanks

Morb
Old 03-15-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius131 View Post
What caliper release do you use Lefty? I have used the same release for a really long time so it is time for something new regardless if I go thumb release or trigger. Just interested to know what everyone likes.

Morb
I used a Scott Wildcat for many years and just recently (2days ago) Switched to the brand new Scott Echo, it's really nice!

Jimbows just got them in stock and they are brand new on the market, worth checking out.

LC
Old 03-15-2017, 05:36 PM

I just switched to a thumb and couldn't be happier. It can clip on the string and has a wrist strap. It feels really comfortable and my groups had definitely tightened up.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I used a Scott Wildcat for many years and just recently (2days ago) Switched to the brand new Scott Echo, it's really nice!

Jimbows just got them in stock and they are brand new on the market, worth checking out.

LC
Yeah I was there a couple weeks ago and they didn't have much I hadn't seen before but will definitely pop by for a look.

Brendan's dad, what model did you pick up?

Morb
Old 03-15-2017, 05:58 PM

T.R.U. Ball Fang 3

Picked it up at Jimbows. They were awesome and let me shoot the release for almost a half hour before I decided to buy it. No pressure at all. I then order the TRU Ball wrist off of Amazon. The 3 finger felt better than the 4 but I don't have overly large hands.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:32 PM

If you're a finger shooter look at Winn releases. You hold the trigger until you shoot and simply release just like shooting with fingers
Old 03-15-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius131 View Post
Yeah I was there a couple weeks ago and they didn't have much I hadn't seen before but will definitely pop by for a look.

Brendan's dad, what model did you pick up?

Morb
Literally just received their Scott Demo releases a couple days ago.

LC
Old 03-15-2017, 07:12 PM

Default awesome news

Quote:
Literally just received their Scott Demo releases a couple days ago.

LC
That is great news. Doing all my research while I can't make it in to Jim Bows until which time I can make it in to grab / test new gear.

Morb
Old 03-16-2017, 07:21 AM

Morb, Have you listened to John Dudley?
He has some amazing information available, both through podcasts or Youtube Channel.
Now is a great time to change they way you shoot.
I'd go to a pull through release and use the thumb button clip on for hunting...
Curious what you decide.
Good luck to you.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:30 AM

Default Yeah

I have been doing a lot of research and trying to get myself back up to speed on everything archery. Obviously I won't know the majority of what I need to know but just looking for a good base. I have watched a lot of Dudley stuff on various topics. I will watch his release stuff again.

I agree it is a good time to change releases if that is the route I am going to go as I have been out of the game a while. I am not sure how I feel about the back tension but could definitely see myself with a thumb release.

I will follow up when I actually pick something out regardless of it is back tension, thumb or trigger.

I appreciate all the insight. Keep it coming and I will have more questions in other things in the near future.

Morb
Old 03-16-2017, 11:08 AM

I changed from a dual caliper like the TRU Ball Bandit to a TRU Ball Short & Sweet
single hook release a few years ago.
The short & sweet has a much more hair trigger feel, no adjustments were
made from factory settings on either one.
Still shooting the short & sweet very nice release.

Reguardless of what release you decide on, if the difference in jaw/hook
contact area with the dloop is extreme and you don't tie on a new Dloop,
I'ld keep an eye on your string serving for separtion, had it show up after
a while about 1/5th around the cam. Putting on a new dloop may have
prevented that for me.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:05 PM

I've always shot a calliper release as well. Started out with a cheap dual calliper. Then I went to Scott single calliper releases. I started with the mongoose. Now I own a wildcat, and a silverhorn hook style. They are both great quality releases. I recently found myself wanting to try a hinge style release. And I picked up a nice 4 finger carter "Only" I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'm pretty worried that I'm going to end up punching myself in the face. So I made a shot trainer thing to help getting used to the style of the release. But it doesn't mimic an actual draw cycle. I have yet to shoot a thumb button release, but I would like to try one of those as well. Good luck with your research and I hope you find something that works really well for you!
Old 03-17-2017, 06:55 AM

If you have facebook go check out a group called nothing but releases. I just joined the group a few weeks ago and after doing a bunch of research on the thumb releases i picked one up brand new in package for a quarter of the cost of what it would have cost to order from a store.

I had a back tension at one point and never really felt comfortable with it. I have been shooting a scott silverhorn hook for the last couple years and before that it was a scott dual caliper. I have a tendency to punch the trigger when i am in certain situations so i am hoping with the thumb release i can learn to squeeze through the shot instead of just mashing down with my index finger like i am right now sometimes.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:10 AM

Back tension can be one of the most difficult skills an archer can learn, particularly, if you learn by shooting a trigger and then try learning BT. It's not easy, but the effort is worth the reward!!!
I had terrible target panic, and I had to retrain myself to shoot.
I am still training to beat TP and I am 2 years in...lol
I wish I would have learned the proper way early.
Follow John Dudley's program and you will kick Target panic/caliper punches butt!!!
Old 03-17-2017, 08:05 AM

A caliper can be shot like a pull through release as well without punching the trigger. It does take practice and training to do. Thumb trigger releases can be punched too. I use a caliper for hunting because sometimes the shot has to go off at a specific moment...waiting for a surprise release is not an option. I also use it for target and 3D because that's what trains me all year for that moment in the field.

LC
Old 03-17-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
A caliper can be shot like a pull through release as well without punching the trigger. It does take practice and training to do. Thumb trigger releases can be punched too. I use a caliper for hunting because sometimes the shot has to go off at a specific moment...waiting for a surprise release is not an option. I also use it for target and 3D because that's what trains me all year for that moment in the field.

LC
I totally agree with you regarding having the ability to take the shot when you need to. That is why I am only looking at the trigger and thumb. Maybe in a few years I will think back tension. I really like my current caliper release it has just outlived its life. I don't necessarily have a concern with punching but whatever I choose will be used for target/3D and hunting as I believe the more you use it the better you become with it.

Great info guys!! I will definitely look at the Facebook page but do like supporting local.

Morb
Old 03-17-2017, 10:34 AM

i wouldn't hesitate using this Stan element for hunting even though it is a pull through for the fact that there is a safety that you hold till your ready to shoot so really its no different then using a trigger or thumb ... I think there is a misconception that you have to release the safety as soon as your at full draw but really you don't let the safety go until your on your target... but again these tools we use is personal preference no right or wrong....
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 05-10-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:

LC

I picked up an Echo at JimBows a few days ago... Am slowly building the confidence to try shooting again (recovering from abdominal surgery) and am looking forward to trying it out!

Will be a bit different than what I was shooting before, I'm sure of that!
Old 05-10-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
i wouldn't hesitate using this Stan element for hunting even though it is a pull through for the fact that there is a safety that you hold till your ready to shoot so really its no different then using a trigger or thumb ... I think there is a misconception that you have to release the safety as soon as your at full draw but really you don't let the safety go until your on your target... but again these tools we use is personal preference no right or wrong....
Can you shoot a stan element or any other pull through as a release trigger (similar to the type of release trigger used in shotguns) instead of as a pull through? (releasing the safety, then increasing back tension) Ie, applying back tension first then releasing the safety as a method of breaking the shot? This would remove the negative effect of punching a trigger but still giving you a command trigger?

Just a thought that I'd been wondering about.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:

LC
Scott shark and above is why. When hunting, timing is very important. No right or wrong though. I do think trigger control has to be practiced routinely and those of us who shoot rifles and bows tend to have good results with caliper releases, where archers who rarely/never use firearms vary more in their preferences.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzz30tt View Post
Can you shoot a stan element or any other pull through as a release trigger (similar to the type of release trigger used in shotguns) instead of as a pull through? (releasing the safety, then increasing back tension) Ie, applying back tension first then releasing the safety as a method of breaking the shot? This would remove the negative effect of punching a trigger but still giving you a command trigger?

Just a thought that I'd been wondering about.
Yes it can be set so that once the safety (thumb button) is released it fires right away....but that defeats the purpose of a pull through and a surprise release.

LC
Old 05-10-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:

LC
This is why I use a Scott trigger release (Little Goose) and have for years, for that Right Now hunting shot. I didn't want to be bogged down with using one release for 3D and another for hunting (which is why I also shoot my hunting rig for 3D).....all my practice and shooting is directed at hunting and real animal shooting, so I have stayed away from back tension type releases. They certainly have a great advantage for target shooting and the Zen discipline of shooting, but don't translate to hunting in my mind.

TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-13-2017, 07:46 AM

What I found is that you can activate a thumb as fast as a trigger, although that should never be the goal to force the shot.

I have found that my total shot execution is faster with the thumb because when I anchor, my thumb is in perfect position to start squeezing the barrel. With a trigger I always had bring my finger from behind the trigger to the front after I anchored as I developed this habit so not to punch myself in the face during my draw cycle.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:22 AM

Default Trigger

I was shooting an older trigger and have since upgraded to an adjustable hook style trigger release and I must say I am quite happy with it. I played around with the tension and travel to get it just how I like it. Now I am very comfortable and consistent with it. At the end of the day I believe that picking a release you are confident with and the. Setting it to yourself will give you the best results.

I will likely try a thumb release in the future (to tinker as that is what archers do) but for now I am quite happy with my trigger.

Morb