Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-30-2020, 02:25 AM

Default Trout Feeding Behaviour Underwater

No fish were caught in the making of this film, but plenty of trout were analyzed during the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdFcss_hzv4

Understanding Rainbow Trout and other fish behaviour is sometimes best done by entering their underwater environment and observing their actual movements with an underwater camera or while snorkeling. That is exactly what I did in this video. I suited up this spring with the wetsuit, snorkel, fins and brought along the GoPro to see what I could catch on camera. To tell you the truth half way around the lake I had pretty low expectations as I wasn't seeing many fish at all. Then I get to the area with some mid day shade and deeper water. I dive down in the center and all of a sudden I am surrounded by rainbow trout. They are everywhere. From the bottom up the water column. It was like I was swimming in a Bass Pro Shop Giant Acquarium full of trout. They could be seen actively feeding on something. Was this the spot... the 90% of the fish in 10% of the lake. It really is cool when you see sayings like this proving to be true. It keeps you searching on these slow days to try to find some actively feeding fish. After a while and a few dives the fish went elsewhere or I drifted off the spot. Most of the rest was uneventful until I was almost back at the dock. Then a rainbow trout showed up out of nowhere and let me follow her for several minutes in close proximity while she just went on her way feeding and relating to structure. Fascinating to see them in the environment and what a fish does in a span of several minutes. Brings light to what is happening under the float. Well I hope you enjoy this underwater footage even a fraction as much as I enjoyed swimming with them. My commentary is my rambling thoughts from what I thought about what I saw. People seemed to really like my thougths on an underwater walleye video. Lets see if this on gains some interest.

Thanks for checking it out.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 06-30-2020, 07:12 AM

That is very cool! That spot where you find them all is so typical of a drop off to the main basin. Seems like it should be the spot. I like the cruising forever fish seeing how they eat with little effort.

Next, you need to have buddy fishing with different flies and you are underwater to see the reaction. Better be a good buddy you trust though. Who needs a spoon in the pants...
Old 06-30-2020, 08:48 AM

That was neat that fish let you swim with it. I never would have guessed they would allow that. Great video. Could watch a video like that all day long.

Yeah what Snapfisher said would be neat. Get someone to put flies in with you down below. See what and how they respond.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
That is very cool! That spot where you find them all is so typical of a drop off to the main basin. Seems like it should be the spot. I like the cruising forever fish seeing how they eat with little effort.

Next, you need to have buddy fishing with different flies and you are underwater to see the reaction. Better be a good buddy you trust though. Who needs a spoon in the pants...
Haha... yeah fortunately I don't have to be in the water, I just hang flies below the camera for that. I have some other great stuff from this spring trolling a hookles crank bait. Very cool strikes on several consecutive days with a weather change. Very cool to watch their behavior change on subsequent days or even how they learn a specific lure to be fake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
That was neat that fish let you swim with it. I never would have guessed they would allow that. Great video. Could watch a video like that all day long.
Yeah what Snapfisher said would be neat. Get someone to put flies in with you down below. See what and how they respond.

Ok so I do have several videos with underwater shots with certain flies and lures hanging below which are neat. I'll post them here if you haven't seen them you can take a look. The newest one is with two hookless chironomids about 18 inch below my go fish cam (I have not edited this one yet). Really crazy to see how fast they can take and spit it. I think the camera was making them caught0ous or they just were in the float bumping mode rather than float downing mode.

Here are the others by lure.

Underwater Chironomid Takes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWv8GiuAgU0

Bright leech pattern under indicator takes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXZvJ68O-Bo

Demon fly trolled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhrbqOIsbBs

Micro Spinner bait: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKYe96CizDs

Spoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q6pCIJCwOI

Microjig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aIl...WU-w&index=136

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 06-30-2020, 11:05 AM

I remember a video from quite a ways back called the underwater world of trout, some of the things it showed were very interesting including how the current can be totally different along the bottom than on the surface too. Unfortunately he showed a huge undercut full of huge trout on a certain river and people who watched it cleaned it out in no time. I will have to watch your vids too I may make fun of girlyfish but I love being in the water (usually) and seeing and learning

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-30-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I remember a video from quite a ways back called the underwater world of trout, some of the things it showed were very interesting including how the current can be totally different along the bottom than on the surface too. Unfortunately he showed a huge undercut full of huge trout on a certain river and people who watched it cleaned it out in no time. I will have to watch your vids too I may make fun of girlyfish but I love being in the water (usually) and seeing and learning
I fully expect the girlyfish comments. We have a lot of them out here in BC, but they're still fun to catch.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:52 PM

That was so cool. All those fish in one spot it sure shows that they definitely follow the feed and they know how to find it. Thanks for posting. Can sure open ones eyes as to the natural habitat and the habits of certain species of fish. Always enjoy your videos.
Hockey net, boat ladder, golf balls??? Don't wanna know. Kinda snickered a bit. Should get the big dragging hook and bring em up. LOL
Old 06-30-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
That was so cool. All those fish in one spot it sure shows that they definitely follow the feed and they know how to find it. Thanks for posting. Can sure open ones eyes as to the natural habitat and the habits of certain species of fish. Always enjoy your videos.
Hockey net, boat ladder, golf balls??? Don't wanna know. Kinda snickered a bit. Should get the big dragging hook and bring em up. LOL
Yeah I didn't include it in the video but I collected about 20 golf balls. I also picked up that dock ladder and put it back on my neighbors dock. The hockey net though... that's too heavy for me to pull up. They put it out there when it froze a few years ago and it has been on the bottom ever since.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:27 PM

I love the part where you say, something to the effect of ….. "I wonder why he isn't scared of me, maybe he doesn't recognize me and I haven't caught him before" …. lol

probably true.

Good video - neat to see.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
I fully expect the girlyfish comments. We have a lot of them out here in BC, but they're still fun to catch.
I love fishing for any kind believe me, I just like teasing people about the lipstick laden rainbows, they are all great fun to catch. Love the video, I want to do that so bad in the river, maybe get up close to a sturgeon that would be amazing. I watched a show one time where the guide in the Columbia I believe it was hung onto a white sturgeons tail when they released it and it took so long for him to pop back up I thought he was a goner.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-30-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I love fishing for any kind believe me, I just like teasing people about the lipstick laden rainbows, they are all great fun to catch. Love the video, I want to do that so bad in the river, maybe get up close to a sturgeon that would be amazing. I watched a show one time where the guide in the Columbia I believe it was hung onto a white sturgeons tail when they released it and it took so long for him to pop back up I thought he was a goner.
Reminds me of a guy on a deep sea boat who had the rod/reel in a harness strapped to himself and then to the seat. The guide or helper un-clipped him so they could move him closer to the stern in another position, and just as he was going to clip him into that seat, the tuna or swordfish pulled him into the rail, slammed him like a truck and blew him up and over the top and into the water.

If that line wouldn't have broken, he would have died. Instead the guy broke all sorts of bones and almost died.

I guess those reels don't have drag - and he was using crazy strong line - yikes .... I will try and find video.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:54 PM

Great video Brandon!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Reminds me of a guy on a deep sea boat who had the rod/reel in a harness strapped to himself and then to the seat. The guide or helper un-clipped him so they could move him closer to the stern in another position, and just as he was going to clip him into that seat, the tuna or swordfish pulled him into the rail, slammed him like a truck and blew him up and over the top and into the water.

If that line wouldn't have broken, he would have died. Instead the guy broke all sorts of bones and almost died.

I guess those reels don't have drag - and he was using crazy strong line - yikes .... I will try and find video.
check out Blacktip H they even use handlines for giant groupers, usually takes 2 of them on a rod. I need to do that.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 06-30-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I love the part where you say, something to the effect of ….. "I wonder why he isn't scared of me, maybe he doesn't recognize me and I haven't caught him before" …. lol

probably true.

Good video - neat to see.
Haha, yeah I thought that was funny too! I'm pretty sure they don't remember me.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
That would be insane. Yeah there is a guy who puts SCUBA videos in the Columbia river above Castlegar below the Keenleyside Dam and gets to swim with white sturgeon and walleye. I should try it sometime, but I bit it is freezing cold coming out of the bottom of Arrow Lake.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:28 PM

Very cool video! I really enjoyed that.

I love to snorkel as well, and following fish (when they let you) is so much fun.

I just have to keep self-checking how deep I'm getting before I run out of air when going below the surface. It's too easy to get caught up in the wonder and then realize you have a ways to go to get that next gulp of air.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Very cool video! I really enjoyed that.

I love to snorkel as well, and following fish (when they let you) is so much fun.

I just have to keep self-checking how deep I'm getting before I run out of air when going below the surface. It's too easy to get caught up in the wonder and then realize you have a ways to go to get that next gulp of air.
Haha... yeah I usually get stuck doing that in the ocean where it is so clear and you just go down and down... then when you run out of air and turn to look up and see the surface 30 to 40 feet above it provokes a little anxiety.

Old 07-05-2020, 02:48 PM

One of the best fishing channels out there. Keep up the great work.