Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-29-2020, 12:03 PM

Default Boat launches recap please?

As a new owner of the 17.5ft boat I would appreciate if somebody can give a quick recap for boat launches 2-3 hrs from Calgary. Just looking for basic info - easy to launch? busy? dock present? etc.... Would hate driving 2-3 hrs to the lake to find that it is super challeging to launch.
Lakes of interest - Keho, Badger, McGregor, Little Bow Reservoir, Sherburne, Chin, Travers, Pine, Sylvan, Burnstick, Rolling Hills, Gull, Pine Coulee.
Thank you!
Old 06-29-2020, 03:51 PM

Default Launches

Travers at Little Bow Park would be your best bet.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:18 PM

McGregor no dock, can be some ugly crosswinds when loading. Sylvan most launches are very busy. Travers can be some twerps there, kind of a 1.5-2 boat unload if the guy ahead of you hugs one side or the other. Newell has a nice double launch separated by a dock but it's a bit tight. By the time you load & unload a dozen times, it becomes second nature. Try 'em all, go have fun!!
Old 06-29-2020, 10:37 PM

Newell has a very nice double launch in Kinbrook only a couple years old and an extended breakwater too. can be a bit windy somedays on the lake. another launch across the lake but its a pay launch I believe. RH has a well protected launch and a marina at the campground

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-30-2020, 09:12 AM

Keho, Badger, McGregor, Chin, St. Maries all have what you might call difficult launches. Little Bow, Crawling Valley, Newell those are your safest spots if you are new to boating. All have nice fishing as well.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:43 AM

Take a short drive to the Ghost Reservoir west of Cochrane. Usually not very busy, especially during the week, You can practice loading and unloading, along with backing up. Fishing isn't bad either.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:13 PM

Two launches at CVR one in the marina fairly wide and more dock slips than you can shake a stick at. 6 spots to tie up at while waiting for trailer to be parked or at least one hour for free mooring while you go get your lunch. About at least 40 other spots for $10 a day. There is also the other launch which is the original open lake one. Can be tricky on windy days and nothing but rocks around to pull up to shore, still a decent launch.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:22 PM

Thanks everybody for your input. Yes, Crawling Valley launch is a super nice one... wish all of them be like that. Too bad about Keho, really like that lake in winter and was hoping to give it a go during summer from the boat. What is situation with Sherburne? Is launch even open?
Old 06-30-2020, 09:59 PM

Fyi if you go to ghost, the water might still be very low. It was for me two weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
Thanks everybody for your input. Yes, Crawling Valley launch is a super nice one... wish all of them be like that. Too bad about Keho, really like that lake in winter and was hoping to give it a go during summer from the boat. What is situation with Sherburne? Is launch even open?
Unless they have fixed it in the last few years the Sherburne launch is total crap. I didn't even use it the first and last time I fished there, 4 years ago. I was worried about bottoming out the trailer on the gigantic heave in the concrete blocks. I ended up launching on the side from shore. You do need to fill out the invasive species authorization form and you will be given a gate code for access once you do.

Both launchs at St Mary's are really steep, the one on the north side is pretty narrow. The Chin launch is alright but could use some work. You would think with them doubling the launch fee last year they might actually do some work on it but I am not holding my breath. I have never had any problems at either though.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:29 AM

Sherburn always has been a difficult launch, used to be a rock half way into the water that you had to make sure you missed on launching and especially when you went to load.

T he launch is gated now and you must have a combo to unlock it. Long drive
Old 07-01-2020, 10:12 AM

Default Boat launch

The best & closest launch is at Ghost Lake. The boat launch is a good place to get to know your boat & practice your launch & retrieves with the wife & or kids. Others can still launch boats,canoes & kayaks while you practice with your partner. The fishing is ok,you might have to search a bit before you hook up. The scenery is nice & you can enjoy a meal on shore at a picnic table.