Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-28-2020, 10:20 AM

Default Is it possible to rent spotting scopes?

Just like the title says.. I checked the u oversight of Calgary, they rent lots of stuff but not optics. I think I might be needing a spotting scope next year and just weighing my options. Long range looking doesn’t fit my hunting style much so I’m reluctant to buy a scope but I’m gonna need one for a month or so.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:10 PM

Haven't ever heard of it but short of borrowing from a friend you could buy one used at a decent price and likely sell it for what you bought it for in most cases. An option at least
Old 06-28-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Haven't ever heard of it but short of borrowing from a friend you could buy one used at a decent price and likely sell it for what you bought it for in most cases. An option at least
That’s what I usually do when I need something short term, I’ve done it with a boat for a family trip. It’s good advice.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:49 PM

if a friend doesnt have one id suggest keep a close eye on the classifieds and kijiji for a name brand spotter, pretty easy to find a deal if you arent in a rush to buy and all the top names youll likely not lose a dollar selling so long as you arent in a rush to do so. Ive bought and sold many swaro's and leica over the years as i use them during fall but move funds into other activities for winter then rebuy many of them ive come out on top after selling
Old 06-28-2020, 03:48 PM

Depending on the timing of when you need it, i could rent you a Leupold golden ring 12-40. Remind me closer to the time you want to do it.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:22 PM

Default also depends what you are using it for

i wanted to see lamb tips on mountain sheep and the 20X wasnt strong enough so I ordered a 30X. Have used it for sheep and antelope but for deer or elk you might get away with a 12-20 power.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
i wanted to see lamb tips on mountain sheep and the 20X wasnt strong enough so I ordered a 30X. Have used it for sheep and antelope but for deer or elk you might get away with a 12-20 power.
I’ve got a cheap spotter, can’t remember the power but I think I’ll try to draw for 410 sheep next year... might need better for that hunt. But it’s likely the only time in my life that I’ll use it.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:22 AM

Too easy

I have a new
Bushnell Trophy Extreme 20-60x65

Gladly lend it to you.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:47 AM

McBains is a sponsor. I know they rent all sorts of camera gear. lenses, tripods etc, worth a call to see if they rent spotting scopes. If you were in Edmonton I would lend you mine. If you can't locate one, I could mail it to you and you mail it back when you are done.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:21 AM

Some generous offers here guys, I don’t borrow stuff. Learned that a long time ago from my dad. Renting seems different, and there’s that security deposit in case I fall on it . Anyway it’s a year away, but for some reason it was on my mind to find out.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
McBains is a sponsor. I know they rent all sorts of camera gear. lenses, tripods etc, worth a call to see if they rent spotting scopes. If you were in Edmonton I would lend you mine. If you can't locate one, I could mail it to you and you mail it back when you are done.
Sorry but we (McBain’s) don’t rent spotting scopes. As well optics are not like other rentals, it’s usually about 20% of the value of the equipment daily (there are weekend and weekly rates), but once past about 10 days you’ll pay more renting than buying new.