Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-25-2020, 07:52 PM

Default Beaver cages made easy

I experimented with an animal trap this year as my beaver cage and it worked amazing! I found it on FB market place for $30. Figured it would be a cheap experiment if it failed but I am happy to report as you can see the cage had a lot of action and not only did it stay attached to the tree, it was still in working order at the end of the season and kept the beaver in the cage all season as they couldn’t get it all out. One beaver all season!

Just wanted to share because I see all this work and money being spent on heavy duty steel cages but as you can see it’s not required!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2020, 09:03 PM

I would have never thought that a cage like that would hold up. Glad it worked for you, I might give it a try next season
Old 06-25-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
I would have never thought that a cage like that would hold up. Glad it worked for you, I might give it a try next season

Ya for sure! I have also used small dog cages which are even heavier gage steel and they work awesome as well. The beaver goes a little faster in a dog cage tho. I’m happy with the results of this live trap. I’ll be using it again next year!

Old 06-26-2020, 12:07 AM

good idea!
Old 06-28-2020, 12:22 PM

Smile

Those bear gymnastic pics are priceless & that cage trap is way way tougher than I would have ever imagined !!
Thanks for sharing nuge
Old 06-28-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred1 View Post
Those bear gymnastic pics are priceless & that cage trap is way way tougher than I would have ever imagined !!
Thanks for sharing nuge

No problem fred1. I enjoyed those pics as well l! Haha

Old 06-28-2020, 08:31 PM

Love the pic with the cub in the bait barrel! Great idea and pictures. Thanks for sharing
Old 06-28-2020, 08:40 PM

We tried a couple versions of light duty cages. Stolen beavers and busted cages were our results.

Old Culvert with expanded metal on ends, one end with a welded on flip open hinge. Works unreal.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:41 PM

Old 06-29-2020, 10:13 AM

Peavey mart has a 2 pack of live traps on for $45 - comes with one large and one medium.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post
We tried a couple versions of light duty cages. Stolen beavers and busted cages were our results.

Old Culvert with expanded metal on ends, one end with a welded on flip open hinge. Works unreal.

We’re u putting the cages on the ground like your culvert ?

Old 06-29-2020, 12:42 PM

I used empty beer kegs with a few small holes cut in them. They’re free and take about twenty minutes to modify a door in the top and a couple 2”x2” holes down the sides. Chain it to a tree and a beaver lasts a whole season.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I used empty beer kegs with a few small holes cut in them. They’re free and take about twenty minutes to modify a door in the top and a couple 2”x2” holes down the sides. Chain it to a tree and a beaver lasts a whole season.
where do you get them from just any restaurant or bar?
Old 06-29-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Bryan View Post
Peavey mart has a 2 pack of live traps on for $45 - comes with one large and one medium.
That is a decent deal! I used the large size of the two 32" x 12" x 10 it worked great, you can fit some big beavers into it. The smaller trap in that deal would be OK for smaller beavers.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:30 PM

Cages in trees cages on the ground didn’t much matter, bears destroyed them until we switched to culverts. The keg with little holes is a great idea I think as well. We want bears to be able to pick away very slowly at a beaver in a cage. It holds them there time wise. The tree the giant chocolate is sitting by, has holes 2 feet down past it’s roots! They gotta work for that mouthful of beaver and that means in the bait longer.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
That is a decent deal! I used the large size of the two 32" x 12" x 10 it worked great, you can fit some big beavers into it. The smaller trap in that deal would be OK for smaller beavers.

That is the size of the large one so it should be worth $45 in just pure entertainment.

Cheaper than going to a movie!

Old 06-29-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Cages in trees cages on the ground didn’t much matter, bears destroyed them until we switched to culverts. The keg with little holes is a great idea I think as well. We want bears to be able to pick away very slowly at a beaver in a cage. It holds them there time wise. The tree the giant chocolate is sitting by, has holes 2 feet down past it’s roots! They gotta work for that mouthful of beaver and that means in the bait longer.

Question is did u shot that bear!! He’s a beauty!!

Old 06-29-2020, 06:54 PM

He’s a beauty alright. Have yet to see him in person is the problem! Always next year.

I arrowed this fella. Pic of him walking into the bait, just before I let the arrow fly.

Pic of him the next day after we fished him outta the raging creek he made it too. Guess that’s the risk a guy takes hunting close to water but happy to have him!

Old 06-29-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
He’s a beauty alright. Have yet to see him in person is the problem! Always next year.

I arrowed this fella. Pic of him walking into the bait, just before I let the arrow fly.

Pic of him the next day after we fished him outta the raging creek he made it too. Guess that’s the risk a guy takes hunting close to water but happy to have him!

Hey nothing wrong with that fella!! Good work! Have u ever tried sitting about 100 yards off the bait and waiting till the big fella comes in then stalking quietly into the bait for a shot? Or having someone leave the bait an hour before dark while u stay in the stand ?

Old 06-29-2020, 10:43 PM

The one I shot was in the bait at 430pm as we walked in. 30-40km winds right in our face. We stocked to within 25 yards of him and had a stare down, no shot. Then he walked in at 10pm later that night and was able to arrow him.

Our trail cams running steady basically show us the only thing predictable with lots of big boars is that they are unpredictable. Sometimes get a giant on cams and in the bait steady for a couple days and then for no rhyme or reason(bait not even being hunted, 4 barrels chock full, and prior to the rut) they are gone, only to show up a week later. Time in the stand with a good wind has been our best luck, never know what might cruise in. We have talked about trying the 2 guys in 1 guy out trick an hour before dark, etc. But the big boys show up when they want to show and feel safe has been our thoughts.

Case in point, look at the time. Has likely walked through a lot of bear baits over the years.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
where do you get them from just any restaurant or bar?
I watched kijiji. The last time I needed them one of the pubs in red deer was giving them away and I got about eight from him.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:09 AM

Default also

Old propane bottles with a welded hinged door and perforated.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I watched kijiji. The last time I needed them one of the pubs in red deer was giving them away and I got about eight from him.

Awesome man. Thanks

Old 06-30-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Old propane bottles with a welded hinged door and perforated.

This is a good idea as well