Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-21-2020, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
They way the draws are now don’t restrict you from hunting different species. Everyone has the same rights as you and you don’t like it. You should really take down the pic beside your user name. Just because money is no object for you and that your more important then anyone else in your hunting agenda. you guys would die if you were doing draws before the priority system came into effect.
Where do you come up with your conclusions???
You make no sense??
The draw system right now is easily exploited. Its taking away from people like you to have more opportunities to hunt, but you cant get passed the idea that its going to cost a little bit more money to make that happen.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
You make no sense??
The draw system right now is easily exploited. Its taking away from people like you to have more opportunities to hunt, but you cant get passed the idea that its going to cost a little bit more money to make that happen.
The money from increasing license and draw fees won't make the draw system better. It will only give the province a bit more revenue, and the taste of it will have them coming back for more.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
The money from increasing license and draw fees won't make the draw system better. It will only give the province a bit more revenue, and the taste of it will have them coming back for more.
What do you think will get cut the most when we have to pay for this covid bs?
Hunting and fishing is usually high on the list
Old 06-21-2020, 02:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
You make no sense??
So your one of those guys who’d be alright with paying more taxes too! I’m ok with the waiting. I don’t have to kill a pronghorn or moose every 2 years, or turkey, elk or mule deer every year. I can buy a sheep tag, whitetail tag, elk tag, or a bear tag every year over the counter to fill the time until I get drawn for the other tags. If your worried about meat apply for cow or doe tags. There are zones you could get a cow elk tag every other year or a doe tag every year.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:09 PM
Banned

Now why would I take this pic off of my profile?

I kinda like it
I could use this one
It’s from the same trip
Or this one
Also from the same trip

Or this one
Climbing mountains at -30 chasing musk ox
Or these ones too

I got a lot more to choose from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2020, 02:13 PM
Banned

You just proved my point!
Old 06-21-2020, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
What do you think will get cut the most when we have to pay for this covid bs?
Hunting and fishing is usually high on the list
I'm not sure that covid related cuts are going to impact resident hunting opportunity when it comes to our draw system. Policy will. And it's cheap. Or cheaper anyways.

Very nice animals btw. Your hunting success is tremendous. Good work!
Old 06-21-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshaw View Post
I have read lots of similar post about increasing the price of tags and WC to deter antis. The problem is we don't know what price will deter an anti. Some of, or maybe all, could very well be funded and price really is no issue to them. By increasing prices of everything we will get shorter wait times, but will it be at the expense of regular hunters? We really can't be sure who we are eliminating from the draw pools. There are those that won't be able to afford the high prices but should be given the opportunity to hunt all the animals Alberta has to offer. Its a problem that I don't see a easy fix too. Residency, regulated hunting, resident hunters, non resident hunters, outfitters (i'm sure i missed some others) but all these areas could be improved upon to help the system. There isn't 1 solution to this problem.
If the "antis" were the ones abusing the system we would all have it made.
Let the few that MAY buy draws buy then if they want but I really doubt that it is the "antis" that are causing the problems. Look around and I think you will find that the problem is right in our (Hunters) midst. Abuses galore - some legal ,some not. Deflelecting the issue to an unrecognizable, unvalidated and probably non-existant Anti wont help one little bit.

With half a million hunters in the system you can be sure it's far from squeaky clean ,
Old 06-21-2020, 02:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
You just proved my point!
Whats your point? That I work harder than you?
I choose to work harder so I can hunt more
The amount of opportunities in alberta is limited and shrinking
But if you would rather spend your money on booze and smokes or dump 45k on a side by side thats your call
Id rather go hunting
Old 06-21-2020, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not sure that covid related cuts are going to impact resident hunting opportunity when it comes to our draw system. Policy will. And it's cheap. Or cheaper anyways.

Very nice animals btw. Your hunting success is tremendous. Good work!
Thanks man
I researched all my hunts and have done them all for well below what most people would ever expect. Thats why I say that increasing the application fee would reduce exploitation. Not because I want any outdoorsman to get priced out of applying. But because its probably the only way to make it so that people aren't manipluating the system in their favor.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Whats your point? That I work harder than you?
I choose to work harder so I can hunt more
The amount of opportunities in alberta is limited and shrinking
But if you would rather spend your money on booze and smokes or dump 45k on a side by side thats your call
Id rather go hunting
They are complaining about finding $20 to apply for a trophy big game opportunity. I’m afraid your point will fall on deaf ears. But it does prove that an increase in cost will have an affect on wait times.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-21-2020, 02:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks man
I researched all my hunts and have done them all for well below what most people would ever expect. Thats why I say that increasing the application fee would reduce exploitation. Not because I want any outdoorsman to get priced out of applying. But because its probably the only way to make it so that people aren't manipluating the system in their favor.
Sweet. Yah your proof is in the pics.

Imagine a system where if you were caught cheating, or using a residents address as your own, or had a license/draw application without the hunting course you would get a 5 year ban on applying or holding a license. And those who were in cahoots with you were also banned for 5. And those who reported the potential infraction received a few bonus priority points. The system would clean up. Without increasing any license fee.

And reduce the number of draws you can apply for. Force choice like chuck says.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
They are complaining about finding $20 to apply for a trophy big game opportunity. I’m afraid your point will fall on deaf ears. But it does prove that an increase in cost will have an affect on wait times.
Proves absolutely nothing. Your opinion isn't proof.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
You seen how well that worked out this year by having to purchase a wildlife certificate? Your a hypocrite if you think raising the cost is going to work. If all your worried about Is the anti hunters eating up tags which you all seen how that worked out this year. Or your worried about your neighbor putting in all the draws for his wife and kids which is his right as a resident. If your worried about the nonresident who does nothing but cheat the system. Why don’t all the provincial governments of Canada get on the same data base and they could eliminate this double dipping by nonresidents. This would seem like a more logical fix.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sweet. Yah your proof is in the pics.

Imagine a system where if you were caught cheating, or using a residents address as your own, or had a license/draw application without the hunting course you would get a 5 year ban on applying or holding a license. And those who were in cahoots with you were also banned for 5. And those who reported the potential infraction received a few bonus priority points. The system would clean up. Without increasing any license fee.

And reduce the number of draws you can apply for. Force choice like chuck says.
How are you going to do all this without hiring a lot more people to verify everything?
Old 06-21-2020, 03:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
You seen how well that worked out this year by having to purchase a wildlife certificate? Your a hypocrite if you think raising the cost is going to work. If all your worried about Is the anti hunters eating up tags which you all seen how that worked out this year. Or your worried about your neighbor putting in all the draws for his wife and kids which is his right as a resident. If your worried about the nonresident who does nothing but cheat the system. Why don’t all the provincial governments of Canada get on the same data base and they could eliminate this double dipping by nonresidents. This would seem like a more logical fix.
The neighbors that put in their kids wives niece and nephews that never actually hunt are the biggest problems. They are the main reason why draw application prices should go up. I’m guessing this is what you do all the time
Old 06-21-2020, 03:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
How are you going to do all this without hiring a lot more people to verify everything?
Put the onus on the hunters to prove it or no go. Let’s face it, all you need now is a win card and you can apply. And hunt.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Put the onus on the hunters to prove it or no go. Let’s face it, all you need now is a win card and you can apply. And hunt.
Oh I agree
Old 06-21-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
You haven’t purchased a wildlife certificate before you hunt before? Of course it didn’t work. I am not worried about anti hunters and my wife and two kids all put in for draws.

And yes, why don’t we enforce the rules we already have.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-21-2020, 04:27 PM

I chose my words poorly in my last post but I did not know any thing else the hunter host is hosting. The person with you is a person you know but not always a family member. My bad on my wording.

If it is only the wait imies that have every one upset complain to the ones running the draw. After all it is only their fault that it takes as long as it does to get results. Cutting the number of species we can apply at one time to hunt for will not help. You can not tell me in 30 plus years they can not find a way to speed things up. Add to that it is all done electronically now so come on take this fight to them and lets quit bashing each other.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:44 PM

Ok everyone, getting angry at one another is not going to help.
I did enjoy seeing the pictures by marky mark, good for you!
If higher costs help people to use the tags that they are drawn for then good, people will take better care of a $100 watch then a $10 watch, but doesn't higher priorities to get drawn mean that you are more likely to use the tag if you get it?
I mean that if it takes 10 years to get drawn some wear and you get drawn won't you make sure that you go out and use it as it maybe 10 years before you get drawn again.
(What do you mean when you say that the priority system is being exploited?)
Old 06-21-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
The neighbors that put in their kids wives niece and nephews that never actually hunt are the biggest problems. They are the main reason why draw application prices should go up. I’m guessing this is what you do all the time
Yes that is a huge issue, some people put in for friends and relatives that don't even hunt, with the intention of filling their tags . I would like to see more partner licenses, but unfortunately, the fact that this would be abused , is the reason that it won't likely happen.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Yes that is a huge issue, some people put in for friends and relatives that don't even hunt, with the intention of filling their tags . I would like to see more partner licenses, but unfortunately, the fact that this would be abused , is the reason that it won't likely happen.
Is the meat getting wasted?
Old 06-21-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Is the meat getting wasted?
That is irrelevant, the point is the people doing this are shooting animals that they don't have tags for, and the people supplying the tags, are allowing other people to use their tags. Both are committing violations, and both should be charged. Several of my tags were filled by other people, but in every case, it was done legally, with partner licenses.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
That is irrelevant, the point is the people doing this are shooting animals that they don't have tags for, and the people supplying the tags, are allowing other people to use their tags. Both are committing violations, and both should be charged. Several of my tags were filled by other people, but in every case, it was done legally, with partner licenses.
This problem would be greatly reduced by increasing the cost to participate.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-21-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Many of those greedy people would not let a $50 application fee stop them. And increasing the cost more than that, would be an issue for people on lower incomes, or with children that actually hunt.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do you have proof of this? Or is this another theory?
Old 06-21-2020, 06:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Highly doubt it!
Old 06-21-2020, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Exactly
You increase the price of an application a lot of these people aren’t going to be willing to spend the extra cash. Look at rzr. A little more money and he won’t be applying. Perfect. One less system abuser
Old 06-21-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Do you have proof of this? Or is this another theory?
I have actually heard people talking about getting tags for their wives , so they could shoot extra animals. I was speaking to the local F&W officer, and he mentioned people shooting their two pheasants, and having a friend or spouse drive out to the site to take them, so the hunter could shoot two more. Unfortunately, these violations aren't easy to prove.