Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-21-2020, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I prioritize my draw selection. Your odds go up. All for the price of a package of Costco tube socks.
I’m sure everyone else privatizes too! But you do realize that you’re still paying more just to increase your priorities just by (what used to be called) 999’ing right.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshaw View Post
I have read lots of similar post about increasing the price of tags and WC to deter antis. The problem is we don't know what price will deter an anti. Some of, or maybe all, could very well be funded and price really is no issue to them. By increasing prices of everything we will get shorter wait times, but will it be at the expense of regular hunters? We really can't be sure who we are eliminating from the draw pools. There are those that won't be able to afford the high prices but should be given the opportunity to hunt all the animals Alberta has to offer. Its a problem that I don't see a easy fix too. Residency, regulated hunting, resident hunters, non resident hunters, outfitters (i'm sure i missed some others) but all these areas could be improved upon to help the system. There isn't 1 solution to this problem.
You get it! It’s all about greed.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:30 AM

Chuck whether you prioritize or put in for the draw your priority goes up if you are not drawn. So your point is off base. Now I don't think if you are only building priority that effects people appling for the draw.

Some of the money collected from the draws goes back to the government. The government sells the tags to the out fit in chargeat a low price. So the out fit selling us the tags makes a huge profit.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Increase “trophy” draw tag prices. Increase “trophy” draw application prices.

Let’s use Turkey as an example. I put in for turkey every year. I wouldn’t mind hunting them. But if it costs me $20 to enter the draw. I’ll pass and put my money into something else.
Limiting guys to 3-4 draw applications would clean up this behaviour. Applying just because. Not because your a passionate turkey hunter. Taking a passionate turkey hunters spot.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:32 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillG View Post
Chuck whether you prioritize or put in for the draw your priority goes up if you are not drawn. So your point is off base. Now I don't think if you are only building priority that effects people appling for the draw.

Some of the money collected from the draws goes back to the government. The government sells the tags to the out fit in chargeat a low price. So the out fit selling us the tags makes a huge profit.
Huh?
Old 06-21-2020, 09:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Limiting guys to 3-4 draw applications would clean up this behaviour. Applying just because. Not because your a passionate turkey hunter. Taking a passionate turkey hunters spot.
You bet it would! It would also make you prioritize what you want to hunt. You focus on 3 draws and when you fill one then move to the next and so on.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
I’m sure everyone else privatizes too! But you do realize that you’re still paying more just to increase your priorities just by (what used to be called) 999’ing right.
No, try again. This has nothing to do with 999.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-21-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Nixon was telling us on his Facebook video that this year had a record number of draw entries, over 445,000 draws from 112,000 hunters. They are using the requirement for a WC in hunting draw system to boost government revenue, not weed out people that shouldn't be applying.
Quote:

Passionate turkey hunters....
Yes, We need a test to determine who is passionate before allowing them to apply....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-21-2020, 09:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
You bet it would! It would also make you prioritize what you want to hunt. You focus on 3 draws and when you fill one then move to the next and so on.
Yep. Raising the application cost is ineffective. Cap us resident guys. Eliminate non residents from the draw. Remove outfitting allocations from draw species. Residents make concessions and so do the non residents/ outfitters. For the long term health of the draw system.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

Passionate turkey hunters....
Yes, We need a test to determine who is passionate before allowing them to apply....
Self test. 3 draw applications would do it.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
This is not how things work in a free society. There isn’t a magic fairy that helps convince people to do this willingly. This is how communism works. Although magic and fairy would be disingenuous terms. On the other hand, in a democratic free market society price elasticity determines supply and demand. I have literally seen five year old children figure this out when setting up a lemonade stand. It works.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 06-21-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:11 AM
Banned

If draws are $20 each and you only have $60 bucks in your hunting draw budget. By all means, pic the 3 hunts you want to do. Dont restrict the people that want to hunt different species because you spend all your money on smokes or booze. Makes it harder for people to take advantage of the system. And there is a lot of ways to take advantage of the system
Old 06-21-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
If draws are $20 each and you only have $60 bucks in your hunting draw budget. By all means, pic the 3 hunts you want to do. Dont restrict the people that want to hunt different species because you spend all your money on smokes or booze. Makes it harder for people to take advantage of the system. And there is a lot of ways to take advantage of the system
This is completely lost on so many.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-21-2020, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
This is not how things work in a free society. There isn’t a magic fairy that helps convince people to do this willingly. This is how communism works. Although magic and fairy would be disingenuous terms. On the other hand, in a democratic free market society price elasticity determines supply and demand. I have literally seen five year old children figure this out when setting up a lemonade stand. It works.
So are you suggesting bidding via sealed envelope on these limited draw applications?
Wildlife isn't lemonade. A five year old knows that.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
So are you suggesting bidding via sealed envelope on these limited draw applications?
Wildlife isn't lemonade. A five year old knows that.
Where did I say that Deer Hunter?

And regarding Lemonade. The application of the example is completely relevant in its context. Which context has nothing to do with an animal.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-21-2020, 10:33 AM
Banned

people also dont realize that the $3.75 draw application fee barely pays for its self and virtually no money is being generated for conservation at these rates.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Where did I say that Deer Hunter?
Right here

Quote:
free market society price elasticity determines supply and demand.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Right here
This has nothing to do with sealed bids. Go back to Lemonade for a simplistic reference.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-21-2020, 10:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
This has nothing to do with sealed bids. Go back to Lemonade for a simplistic reference.
Youre the one who wanted free market! Start the bidding.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Self test. 3 draw applications would do it.
Do what?

Eliminate the "passionate" hunters from participating in all that Alberta offers?

I doubt limiting draw applications would improve wait times.
It probable would make wait times longer for antlered/trophy licences....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-21-2020, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Do what?

Eliminate the "passionate" hunters from participating in all that Alberta offers?

I doubt limiting draw applications would improve wait times.
It probable would make wait times longer for antlered/trophy licences....
Well that’s your opinion. I’m not sure how you could argue it would make any draw wait times longer than they currently are.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Youre the one who wanted free market! Start the bidding.
Do you bid on your groceries? How about your pants? Your shoes?

-Billy Molls
Old 06-21-2020, 11:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Do you bid on your groceries? How about your pants? Your shoes?
No but those aren’t limited crown resources. And up until the toilet paper shortage they were not limited in supply.

How does one obtain crown mineral leases? Sealed bid. Highest bidder. Can’t buy them at Walmart. Or Safeway.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:44 AM

I don't think they needed to change any thing. We do not need to allow only 3 draw applications. Having aWC will not speed up how fast we get draw results. All this has done has put us hunters against each other once again. Does any one remember the saying divide and conquer. If there is a prblem and no one knows if it is. The problem is that maybe appling using priority only is excluding some who should be drawn. I personally think this is not the case. If it is the out fit running the draws needs to fix it. That should be a simple fix seeing as it is not a number now. In fact with priority only your priority could go up as soon as your draws are paid for. Those people could then be eliminated from the ones wanting to be drawn that year.

I see no problem with the hunter host system. The host still has to do a lot of work take his client hunting. Besides some of the ones being hosted could not afford a true guided hunt. Lets not turn our province into a place where only the wealthy can afford to hunt.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't think they needed to change any thing. We do not need to allow only 3 draw applications. Having aWC will not speed up how fast we get draw results. All this has done has put us hunters against each other once again. Does any one remember the saying divide and conquer. If there is a prblem and no one knows if it is. The problem is that maybe appling using priority only is excluding some who should be drawn. I personally think this is not the case. If it is the out fit running the draws needs to fix it. That should be a simple fix seeing as it is not a number now. In fact with priority only your priority could go up as soon as your draws are paid for. Those people could then be eliminated from the ones wanting to be drawn that year.

I see no problem with the hunter host system. The host still has to do a lot of work take his client hunting. Besides some of the ones being hosted could not afford a true guided hunt. Lets not turn our province into a place where only the wealthy can afford to hunt.
You know your not supposed to be taking clients if your hunter hosting them.....
RIGHT???
This is a big part of the problem
Honestly, who really cares if someone from who knows where, can't afford to come to alberta on a "true" guided hunt? I cant afford to go to mongolia on a high altai hunt. They sure as hell arent giving me a break! Thats the way the world works. YOUR NOT ENTITLED TO ANYTHING. If you want it bad enough, youll find a way to save the money and go and do it!
Do yourself a favour, compare hunting prices across north america. Alberta has the cheapest non resident hunting anywhere! In fact, its probably cheaper to buy the ministers tag for mule deer or elk here in alberta than it is to go on a premium hunt in arizona utah or new mexico.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:22 PM
Banned

I'm of the opinion that the best hunting in the world is in Alberta, regardless of how much money you have. But the opportunity is slowly being degraded in part to a clogged up draw application system. Charging more isn't a solution. This isn't a lemonade stand.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I'm of the opinion that the best hunting in the world is in Alberta, regardless of how much money you have. But the opportunity is slowly being degraded in part to a clogged up draw application system. Charging more isn't a solution. This isn't a lemonade stand.
And so your solution is to force choice on everyone. Great idea.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-21-2020, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
And so your solution is to force choice on everyone. Great idea.
Beats talking about tube socks, lemonade, five year olds and my where I buy my pants.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:

If you are a hunter host, you don't have a client.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
They way the draws are now don’t restrict you from hunting different species. Everyone has the same rights as you and you don’t like it. You should really take down the pic beside your user name. Just because money is no object for you and that your more important then anyone else in your hunting agenda. you guys would die if you were doing draws before the priority system came into effect.