Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-29-2020, 12:48 PM

Default Resident to resident guiding?

I spoke to a co-worker today and he had mentioned that he found a "guide" that would take resident hunters on a sheep hunt for $5,000.

So, this got me thinking. Would this guide require a guiding license to do this? I've read the regs and looked Apos website and it basically says an outfitter/guiding licence is required to guide non-residents. It is also illegal to for a hunter host to receive compensation. But, it doesn't seem to say anything about resident to resident.

So, is there anything illegal about one resident selling guiding/scouting services to another resident?

Let's say you drew a high priority tag. Can you hire someone to help you fill that tag? Even if that person does not hold an alberta guiding license?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2020, 03:59 PM

This has been discussed before, and yes illegal. That being said, it still happens.
Now the other thing that happens, that is not illegal, is packing some into a sheep area, and I can see that being $5000.00. And have heard of guys saying, now that we have camp set up, lets go for a ride up the hill and I will show you how to get into sheep country. This can also be considered illegal, and the decent guys out there, will drop you off in camp, maybe help you set up then they leave.(now they are only providing a transportation service) but if you help in the hunting then you are considered guiding, and must have a licence.
Now you and the illegal guide can be charged for this. It is very clearly stated in our hunting regs, that you must have a guiding outfitting licence to take people out hunting when you are getting compensated.

There is a big difference when you have friends coming with you for there first sheep hunt(but they cannot exchange money or other things, inturn for the hunt) I have taken friends out with me before, because I have all the gear and the horses, but there is no compensation, beside our friendship.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:11 PM

We kind of figured that it may be illegal, but the only thing I could find in the reg is regarding non-residents and the hunter host program. Nothing saying one resident can't pay another. Can't hire a guy to run bear baits? Can't hire someone to scout for you if you don't have time? Can't hire someone to run cameras?There would probably be a market for it.

I must have missed it in the regs.

Do you think it is illegal because it would step on outfitter toes?

Old 06-29-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
We kind of figured that it may be illegal, but the only thing I could find in the reg is regarding non-residents and the hunter host program. Nothing saying one resident can't pay another. Can't hire a guy to run bear baits? Can't hire someone to scout for you if you don't have time? Can't hire someone to run cameras?There would probably be a market for it.

I must have missed it in the regs.

Do you think it is illegal because it would step on outfitter toes?

Resident guiding will likely be a thing of the past before too long other then by outfitters and hopefully it will be tightly regulated. Believe it or not it can put a lot more pressure on specific WMUs where there is a general season.
From what I understand now the only outfitter that can guide resident sheep hunters is the ones who hold sheep allocations already for that specific WMU. The draw areas are still open to hiring somebody else (other outfitter), likely because the tag numbers are so regulated anyway. That’s my understanding anyway.

Something needs to change anyway, other then maybe bears.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:04 PM

Tbrown,

Most of our wildlife act laws are not in the regulation synopsis.

There are strict rules on guiding and receiving compensation when assisting in a hunt.

Yes, a resident can pay a guide for sheep.

The guide has to be licenced, and have an agreement with the outfitter that holds the sheep allocations for that wmu. It is not a free for all....

There are rules for packers too.
Performing business on public lands always has a price that the gov. must collect.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-29-2020, 08:50 PM

Fair enough, makes sense. If it were okay I could see the lines getting blurred between guiding and paid access. So it makes why it is illegal. And yes the government always wants their cut

Old 06-30-2020, 06:25 PM

Has anyone in AB ever been charged or convicted of illegally guiding a resident?

Gerry Burnie
Old 06-30-2020, 07:33 PM

I think there was lots of residents guiding other residents on bears this year... that must be ok?

LC
Old 07-01-2020, 10:19 AM

Default sheep

A Horse Packer hauls and helps set up camp for hunters. Stays over night in camp sits around fire with boys with some beers. Mentions some good ridges for rams in the area. Interesting, Packing or Guiding!
Old 07-01-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
A Horse Packer hauls and helps set up camp for hunters. Stays over night in camp sits around fire with boys with some beers. Mentions some good ridges for rams in the area. Interesting, Packing or Guiding!
Definitely a grey area for sure. We’ve only ever been dropped off with our gear, then picked up later.

In B.C. the transporters are very tightly regulated, and watched closely by all. They have to be licensed and they’re limited to specific areas with only a small number able to operate.

BC also has things locked down with the concessions and no resident guiding other then the outfitter in the area. Cuts down on lots of the fly by night riffraff like we see in Alberta.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
That would be packing. Nothing grey about it.