Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-29-2009, 06:36 PM

Default Nervous driving on the ice

I just got back into ice fishing this year after a lengthy absence from the sport. I can't believe how nervous i get on the ice when other vehicles drive by and the ice makes those nasty cracking noises. Is this safe when you hear all the cracking, even with the ice 18 - 20 inches thick? or am i just being paranoid? Had a truck with a big welder on the back pass by my tent last weekend and the cracking was unreal. scared the crap out of me lol. just wondering if this was normal.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:41 PM

Thats normal man don't worry about it that is just the ice shifting. I still get the odd spook when I hear a big crack but the little ones dont bother me much. If the ice is 18 to 20 inches thick you have nothing to worry about.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:27 PM

Only a smart man is Nervous about traveling across the ice . But the sounds are normal , just take it easy , space your self between each other , and don't cruise it , But again this is My opinion .....
Old 01-29-2009, 09:37 PM

Since this is my first hard water season, what happens to the ice with the super warm days we have upcoming when it stays above freezing at night? I know that 18" of ice won't melt overnight but does the warm weather merely glaze the top layer of ice or can it make some dangerous cracks?

Gonna head out tomorrow afternoon until late so just wanna be safe when it gets dark.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
Since this is my first hard water season, what happens to the ice with the super warm days we have upcoming when it stays above freezing at night? I know that 18" of ice won't melt overnight but does the warm weather merely glaze the top layer of ice or can it make some dangerous cracks?

Gonna head out tomorrow afternoon until late so just wanna be safe when it gets dark.
With ice that thick you're fine. It generally just glazes the ice. You'll see/hear cracking all day, that's normal.

Have Fun!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:58 PM

Thanks for the posts regarding the cracking ice. I was out at CV last weekend and like the above poster the ice was cracking and you could see the lines.

Maybe it was just the area I was in but crap - lol
Old 01-30-2009, 01:53 AM

Brian,

Don't get to nervous about the ice and rising temps.

You will always hear cracking. Be cautious when the end of March arrives. When I was 16 I had no fear. I had 77 Cordoba that we spent more time digging and getting stuck than fishing. I would drive on anywhere, Tire tracks or not!! I could not afford a 4x4 then.

I am now in my 30's and execute more caution. I have 3 kids, 2 that love to ice fish. You should get to know the lakes and the ice conditions.

A few warm days in Jan. or early Feb. will not affect ice conditions. It will freeze at night.

When you see the snow is melting and the ice looks rotten it is time to walk on again.

That being said my brother fell through on lake Isle due to a underwater spring. There was only about 6-8" of ice in Jan. of 2004. They were only in about 2' of water but everyone still panicked and rolled down the windows to get out.

Get to know each lake before you head out.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:01 AM

Even with age the fear does not go away!! I have been ice fishing now for 25 years and the ice booms still make the hair on the back of my neck stand up!!!
Old 01-30-2009, 02:43 AM

Goober,

That is a good thing. I have 17' boat for summer and I am scared when the whitecaps pick up.

The kids love the chop. NO FEAR I guess when you are a kid
Old 01-30-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_edm View Post
I just got back into ice fishing this year after a lengthy absence from the sport. I can't believe how nervous i get on the ice when other vehicles drive by and the ice makes those nasty cracking noises. Is this safe when you hear all the cracking, even with the ice 18 - 20 inches thick? or am i just being paranoid? Had a truck with a big welder on the back pass by my tent last weekend and the cracking was unreal. scared the crap out of me lol. just wondering if this was normal.
Those big cracks and booms put hair on your chest!!

You want to hear some good stuff, sit at pigeon at night when no one else is on the lake except you and your flasher catching night time walleyes, and Boooooom!!!!! the ice shakes and explodes and puts you in a cold sweat, LOLLLL
Old 01-30-2009, 03:45 PM

Default hard water

teh hard water is alot stronger then one would think...if you go to go walleye.com they have a chart there on ice thicknesss vs stregth(wieght load)...check it out