Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-28-2009, 09:40 PM

Default ice fishing pigeon lake

I'm still new to the west, reside in Sundre. Got some walleye tags, would like to get out this wknd. Any info as to where to park, go on the ice, where to start punchin holes, what to use etc. would be appreciated.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:13 PM

can't go wrong with the PP. just look for where all the holes are and you will be at about where the dropoff is (approx 200yds straight out from the launch); thats where the eyes are
good luck
Old 01-28-2009, 10:14 PM

I have been catching Walleye everywhere I went on Pigeon this year in all depths!!! Your best bet is either straight out from the Provincial campground on the south shore. Look for the million holes and drill there. The other spot would be on the north side at Fisher Home. You will see a trailer and a shanty on the ice right on the border where the lake is closed for fishing. Punch a couple in that area. One guy that was just outside the shanty last weekend filled all 3 of his tags in half an hour. Use a jig head tipped with a minnow for best results. I have been getting them on a yellow wire worm as well though when targeting whites.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Banned

can you buy a tag at anytime of the year? and is the provincial campground on the northwest side of the lake or closer to mameo?
Old 01-28-2009, 10:49 PM

Default Terrible yesterday

My son and I were out at Pigeon yesterday (Tues). We started at Ma Me O beach, then Grandview and lastly the PP. Didn't even see a fish on the cam. Talked to 4 others during our travels. One guy said he heard someone saw 3 fish at Grandview. Another said he saw 1 in 3 hours. I won't be going till March I think. BEL
Old 01-28-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
can you buy a tag at anytime of the year? and is the provincial campground on the northwest side of the lake or closer to mameo?
Depends where your coming from , Hit hwy 13 from Falon head west until you get to sec hwy 771 turn into prov park.

As for tags you've missed out for this year , the original draw was in April and under subscribed tags were in September. You got a few months to wait.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:17 PM

Thanks guys for the info, I guess i should try these wire worms for the whites. Is it common to catch both fish at all depths. The lakes I fished back in Ont. we would usually only catch the fish we targeted, I hardly ever tried for whitefish, they were usually caught over real deep water.
Always used live minnows too, I guess dead in a jar is the only way here in AB. Does anyone feel the bigger the bigger fish or visa versa?
Old 01-29-2009, 10:30 PM

The whitefish are non existent. I don't know if it is because of the Walleye population eating the small whites or what.

If you want to C and R Walleye Pigeon is the way to go.

Gull lake is producing whites right now.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:33 PM

you got any recomendations for a new AB icefisherman?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:57 PM

You should try Gull Lake in the next few weeks. If you want a few whites to keep you will have some success. The perch are also biting but the biggest will between 10"-11".

Sylvan and Pigeon are very slow. Pigeon does have some nice Walleyes however.

I am going Northeast of the city this weekend looking for some nice perch action.

Good luck and Good fishing!!!!
Old 01-30-2009, 12:51 PM

Question

Keep hearing to start at the p.park. Can we park there? Are people driving on the ice or just using quads and sleds?
Old 01-30-2009, 02:40 PM

You can drive on no problem. If going on the weekend just follow all the traffic they will guide you right to the Provincial Park.