Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-26-2009, 04:06 PM

Question Brook Trout World Record ????

So I was browsing the AO website, specifically the record book section and was curious about the alberta brook trout angling record.

I grew up near Nipigon so I am very familiar with the Nipigon river and Dr. Cook's world record 14 lbs 8 oz speckled trout.

I was suprised to see that the alberta angling record for brook trout listed on the record book page above was as follows:

Brook Trout @ 14.875 lbs, by angler D. Jenkins in Wood Buffalo Park in 1967

14.875 lbs converts to 14 lbs 14 oz (I believe), so why is this not the world record.

Just wondering if its a mistake or if there is story behind it?
Old 01-26-2009, 04:18 PM

could be line strength...could be verified by ??. Could a particular reporting body never got the entry or was not verified on the right scale.

Could be it was a laker?

Anyways...most brookies are tiny so anything over 16 inches is a hog...in Alberta.

Anyone have any "factual" information on this?

Cheers

Sun
Old 01-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Gone Hunting

The world record Brookie was caught out east afew years ago by some dude trolling, something, cant remember. If i remember right it blows 20lbs outa the water. Its just a freak of nature, an unreal fish. Cant remember what it went though. I saw it in i think Outdoor Canada afew years ago. Im sure someone will know how to search for and find the info on that fish. It shouldnt be too hard if one knows the way around a computer, beleive me, its a one of a kind Brookie!!!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-26-2009, 08:06 PM

I think I heard something about it coming out of Labradour. I can't be certain about that though.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:22 PM

This is something i found on brooktrout.ca

Quote:
The Brook Trout (Speckled Trout) was 29 inches long with a 21-inch girth. Based on an accepted Brook Trout weight calculation formula, the Brookie was 15.98625 pounds, which is 1.49 pounds bigger than Dr. JW Cook's World Record Brook Trout.

The fish was released and is not eligible to become a world record but is officially the new Manitoba Record Brook Trout. Congratulations go out to Tim and special appreciation is felt throughout the sport-fishing world for his conservation attitude, which is keeping Canada the best place in the world for trophy fishing.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:29 PM

out of feild and stream april 07...hard to read but weight guessed at 15-17 pounds..

Old 01-29-2009, 08:05 AM

I predict the Alberta record will fall in the next 10 years. There have been a few already caught bigger than the current record but never made it to the weight scale.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:07 AM

bearbait- Where is this pic and story from. Too small for me too read.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
out of feild and stream april 07...hard to read but weight guessed at 15-17 pounds..

One main indicator of a brookie is that it has a square tail. That tail definately looks slightly forked, maybe a splake?
Old 01-29-2009, 12:09 PM

HEre is the story about that Manitoba fish:

http://www.brooktrout.ca/manitoba-re...rook-trout.htm

Ok, so it seems that organizations/provinces/whatever can 'take peoples word for it' when setting a record for them, but to be a world record - what has to be done?

I assumed you just needed many photos, measurements and scale sample - did I miss anything?

So I guess D. Jenkins caught a huge brookie back in 1967 in Wood Buffalo and told the province - which makes me wonder who you actually tell, SRD? AB Fish & Game? and they gave him the provincial record but he somehow forgot or did not know about the evidence needed to challenge for the world record?

What if I go back to Ontario this year and catch a monster, what do I need in my tackle box to adequately challenge for the world record without keeping the fish?
Old 01-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Gone Hunting

just buy a digital scale, and weigh a pound of butter in a grocery bag and see that its accurate. Take a pic of the fish on the scale, then im guessing they would just have to test your scale for accuracy

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 01-29-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
One main indicator of a brookie is that it has a square tail. That tail definately looks slightly forked, maybe a splake?

It's not a splake it is defenitly a brook trout just a freak is all, usually most records of fish are fish that have no sexual being not a male or a female, a wild g3 form
Old 01-29-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehunter3-0 View Post
just buy a digital scale, and weigh a pound of butter in a grocery bag and see that its accurate. Take a pic of the fish on the scale, then im guessing they would just have to test your scale for accuracy
http://www.igfa.org/BookRule2004.pdf

Very specific rules and regulations must be followed. You need to kill the fish to get in this record book.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Big.Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post

wow that thing is huge
Old 01-29-2009, 05:06 PM

Smile World record Brookie

Man loon that is some fish. I looked up the official world record on the internet and it was caught by Dr. J.W Cook on July 21,1915 on the Nipigon River in Nipigon Ontario. The fish weighed 14.5 Pounds the same day he caught that fish another fellow caught a 14 Pounder.