Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-19-2018, 01:22 PM

Default Market update

Beaver carcass market update. Many outfitters haven't secured their carcasses as of yet do to low supply aka late winter. It seems the highest price I have found is $20per carcas. I am thinking with the darn fuel at $1.27/L and everything else. I'll be taking the $20/per. If I don't get all of them sold at that price I'll put them out at my bait sites to help the coyote population. I've talked to a few other trappers in my area they are in the same boat lots of calls no product to sell. Hides are worth squat at the auction. Castor is pretty good but adding it all up I think a 3 - 6$ set of castor and a $20 carcass makes it worth the work of trapping. In case of arguments the hides where I'm at are pretty much done as of now.

It's your product in demand you decide your price.
Bill
Old 04-20-2018, 06:10 AM

Sorry if this is kinda a dumb question but I’ve never sold beavers for bear bait. Do you have to freeze them or will guys take them if they’ve been outside for a day or two?
Old 04-20-2018, 10:08 AM

Depends on the guys. Last year I had a couple small orders from some local guys and a large order from another fellow. 1 small order I let the beavers taint a bit for the guy he hammered a bear right away after trying all the other food stuff. So now he wants tainted beaver.
But outfitters want frozen. So they can use as needed. If your carcasses are tainted. Freeze them and sell frozen. Make sure the hide is off. Can't legally sell with hide on.

Bill

I figured this post would get more outrage. Hope it helps all you beaver trappers it's a lot of work, you guys that stackem know it. Happy trapping
Old 04-20-2018, 03:02 PM

Anyway, I'm thinking if a feller put a chopped up beaver in a five gallon pail fit a lid with a small hole to prevent explosions and let that beaver rot and liquefy. You could sell each pail ready to go for more than you'd get for a beaver and they'd be ready to hang up in a tree.

Last edited by lilsundance; 04-20-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Anyway, I'm thinking if a feller put a chopped up beaver in a five gallon pail fit a lid with a small hole to prevent explosions and let that beaver rot and liquefy. You could sell each pail ready to go for more than you'd get for a beaver and they'd be ready to hang up in a tree.
Lots of ways to sell them. Ive got some connections and ideas other than bear bait and I am willing to buy them in the off season if guys catch problem beaver during the summer.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:59 PM

......double post
Old 04-21-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
Depends on the guys. Last year I had a couple small orders from some local guys and a large order from another fellow. 1 small order I let the beavers taint a bit for the guy he hammered a bear right away after trying all the other food stuff. So now he wants tainted beaver.
But outfitters want frozen. So they can use as needed. If your carcasses are tainted. Freeze them and sell frozen. Make sure the hide is off. Can't legally sell with hide on.

Bill

I figured this post would get more outrage. Hope it helps all you beaver trappers it's a lot of work, you guys that stackem know it. Happy trapping
Pretty sure u don't have to sk8n if they are damage control pests...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Pretty sure u don't have to sk8n if they are damage control pests...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Still have to skin them to sell the carcasses it doesn't make sense but that's the current law
Old 04-22-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappingman View Post
Still have to skin them to sell the carcasses it doesn't make sense but that's the current law
guess it depends on the CO you are dealing with .. mine said no need to skin .
Old 04-25-2018, 10:19 AM

i'm a rules monger like every other but what is the justification: one may sell the skin, fur, carcass of a beaver... one cannot sell them together whole

why?
Old 04-25-2018, 02:55 PM
Banned

Makes you wonder why OK , a municipality can send a half dozen men with a backhoe, and a grad all etc , spend an afternoon , digging oyut a dam and busting a beaver house, IN THE FALL when ice comes on , and nothing is mentioned of the predicament they leave the beavers in ! A landowner also can blast their dams , shoot or have them shot and left to lie and NOTHING is said ! THEN a resident trapper comes along and traps a half dozen beaver for anyone he has permission to access land IN THE SUMMER when hides have NO VALUE and BLAM ! BIG deal IF he sells a worthless carcass for bear bait ! not to mention he has a damage control permit ! Where is the rational in this picture? there is NONE , ! Yet you have people who are all too gung ho to enforce a ridiculous law such as it is!
Old 04-25-2018, 05:49 PM

Bring it up to the ATA guys! I have asked them to try and do something about selling muskrat carcasses in the past more than once and that is as far as anything went...maybe you will have better luck than me
Old 04-26-2018, 09:21 AM
AO Sponsor

Bill, it was a joke.

So seeing as many summer beaver are destroyed, and there is a massive demand for beaver carcasses, government included, and people are using unskinned beaver carcasses for bait, government included, and most people don't really want to skin beaver for nothing, here's a potential soloution...

Take a knife and slice the summer beaver fur from head to tail, demonstrating the pelt as zero value, rendering the pelt as unsaleable, in such manner that even a child can tell the pelt is done for and the pelt cannot and will not be trafficked. Perhaps two knife cuts and rip a strip of fur out down the back to ensure the pelt is identifiably ruined.

Technically if it's partially skinned, it is "skinned". Perhaps that's already good enough without a law change. The law says skinned, does not specify fully skinned, or skinned to fur market spec, or partially. Maybe your fish cops wouldn't get bent then?

Somebody draw up a resolution to this effect if you want this problem fixed with a simple solution, and submit it at the local level? That is if you think it's a good idea. I'm not going to, I think it's a good idea, but I'm not currently in the beaver game. I should skin a few tho so I can play the Godberson game better in Westlock!
Old 04-26-2018, 09:44 PM

Why not skin and stretch those summer beavers. I sent a batch of summer beavers, all large or smaller to the first Nafa sale this spring. I averaged $12 US. Asked Mary about this and she said their in demand. The guys making felt are buying them up and are paying good money for them. I know it doesn’t make sense but they aren’t after the good prime hides, they want the junk.