Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-30-2020, 12:13 PM

Default Wished i knew sooner

Ive been tossing it around whether to post this for a bit now. It could be of no interest or it might help someone with a bad shoulder aggravated by flyfishing. I got into fly fishing a few years back and absolutely got hooked. Wasnt long though before my shoulder got real bad. Doc. told me quit flyfishing or face a operation. I sold everything off and back to spin fishing.

Fast forward to this last winter. I came across a fibreglass flyrod site. Some claimed short glass rods are easier to cast than the modern day rods etc. so one day at Cabelas i noticed a old school style glass 7'6" rod on sale cheap called a CGR. Thought id try it and if it didnt work out i would use it with a spinning reel. I got the 5/6 weight cheap Hobbs Creek reel with their 6 wt line on and went to a local pond. Reel as it turned out balanced the rod perfectly.

I found i can cast with out even moving my shoulder with this thing. Elbow in tight to ribcage and just elbow and flick of a wrist and im getting past 40-50 feet without hauling which i cant do, plus i find i dont hardly have to ever false cast past once, easy no effort at all. Rod does it all. It makes me look like a pro almost. Also i could never get the roll cast thing down. With this rod i can do perfect 30-40 foot roll casts. Also its ok in the wind. Ive used it with a indicator and it does indicator ok.

So im not pushing the brand or anything and this isnt a review really. Just saying i wished id known glass fly rods casts so well for me. Ive hung up my spin fishing stuff now again as i can cast short glass with absolutely no shoulder troubles. Ive had it out lots this spring and now summer still no aggravation to shoulder.

Maybe someone else with shoulder troubles will give it a go. Its got me back doing my favourite style fishing.

Last edited by cranky; 06-30-2020 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:50 PM

Great thread and very happy 4U ... I have too have glass rods and cast & roll cast them easier than my hi end stuff ...cheers 2U
Old 06-30-2020, 06:49 PM

Default Wished I knew sooner

Thanks Cranky, I am currently am waiting for news as to whether or not they are going to do surgery on my shoulders. I’ve done pretty much everything else that can be done, including a shoulder tenotomy procedure, and months of physio. I was out doing some fly fishing the other day, and paid for it dearly. The glass rod thing is something I did not know anything about. Thanks for bring it up, much appreciated. Sitting around watching the summer slip away, and not getting out is so discouraging. I might give the glass rod a try. What size rod did use use?
Old 06-30-2020, 06:58 PM

Default Wished I knew

Oops, sorry Cranky. I should have read your post closer. You said it was a 5/6 weight. My question answered.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:09 PM

That's good news, Cranky,
I've just discovered fiberglass fly rods as well, Bought myself a EPIC 8'6" 6 weight for my birthday, last year, bit of an eye opening experience, smooth casting, a slower more relaxed casting style, yep no problem with roll cast,
I cant put my finger, on what makes it so much more enjoyable, than a day with my 5-6 wt 9 foot sages, but it is, its definitely a bit slower casting, and perhaps this causes everything else, to be slowed down, and more of an emersion in the natural world, don't know,
likely also helps that a glass rod bends like hell with a good fish, and isn't one of us that doesn't enjoy that.
Since bought a 8 foot epic 4wt kit to build, sum day.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:01 PM

Im not sure about other glass rods but with the CGR they recommend which ever weight you get that it likes the bigger weight best So a 3/4 wt. It likes the 4 wt line better,5/6 it likes the 6 line better. Google fibreglass flyrodders blog. You will find lots of info.
Theres quite a bit on the CGR on the net. Its the only one i know anything about. Im not really pushing it, its just what i got is all. Its a dream to cast for me. Im getting pretty old at 74 with heart problems so im not all that strong anymore. Likely why it works so well for me i dont have to work it hard at it with little strength left.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:23 AM

Another option for those with shoulder issues is a single hand Spey line. Spey casts are almost effortless. Rio make a couple of great inter graded lines and there are lots of short shooting heads as well
Old 07-01-2020, 10:32 AM

I've been recently diagnosed with adhesive capsulitis (sp?) aka Frozen Shoulder.

It's not messing up the majority of my casting as of yet but it has made me happy that I have previously taught myself to cast with both hands.

Why not try learning to cast with your other hand, its easy. Especially if you work with an Echo practice rod, $59.99.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:04 PM

Altaboy and Jayhad.
Both you guys have offered viable alternatives. Thats why i started this thread with hopes of folks coming up with other ways. For instance i didnt realize and maybe many dont that spey rods are easy on shoulders.

I did try opposite hand casting though. Actually for me at my age and medical condition i cant really exercise,except walking slowly, Docs. orders. It turned out to be way more effort and took more strength than i got left at 74 years old i guess using the off arm.

But good for others to consider for sure. Glad to learn my way isnt the only one.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:10 PM

For those that can’t afford a new system, just over line by 2 line weights your existing rod.
It will make the thing perform much better.
Slows tempo, increases distance, reduces effort.

Don
Old 07-02-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
For those that can’t afford a new system, just over line by 2 line weights your existing rod.
It will make the thing perform much better.
Slows tempo, increases distance, reduces effort.

Don
That’s a fantastic tip Don. Thanks for that.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:19 AM

Default bad shoulder

Hi Cranky
For roll casting you might try the new single hand spey lines by Snowbee. They are made to roll cast with a single hand rod. I have two of them. They work like you would never believe. I wish I had found them ,or they had been developed, years ago. No kidding a little set up with a "D" loop and 50 to 60 feet --gone. I'm 78 and my arms are going and my back gives me trouble. These lines are a life saver.
Sounds to good to be true but it is.
Contact NIle Creek Fly shop on Vancouver Island at !-250-757-2095 as they handle the Snowbee lines. They are made by Airflo in England. Beautiful lines with a long life.
Tell Courthey Ogilvie what rod you have and he will make sure you have the correct line for your rod. You want his help as the lines come in different lengths and weights for for the different rods.
PS Overhanding these lines can give you an additional 15 to 20 feet on a cast.
I got them for using with an indicator, results were very impressive.
I hardly use my standard single hand lines any more. There is a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it you will love the line. Go on line and look up Single Hand Spey Casting.
I have used several other single hand spey lines and found these were the best.

BJ
From B.C.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
Hi Cranky
For roll casting you might try the new single hand spey lines by Snowbee. They are made to roll cast with a single hand rod. I have two of them. They work like you would never believe. I wish I had found them ,or they had been developed, years ago. No kidding a little set up with a "D" loop and 50 to 60 feet --gone. I'm 78 and my arms are going and my back gives me trouble. These lines are a life saver.
Sounds to good to be true but it is.
Contact NIle Creek Fly shop on Vancouver Island at !-250-757-2095 as they handle the Snowbee lines. They are made by Airflo in England. Beautiful lines with a long life.
Tell Courthey Ogilvie what rod you have and he will make sure you have the correct line for your rod. You want his help as the lines come in different lengths and weights for for the different rods.
PS Overhanding these lines can give you an additional 15 to 20 feet on a cast.
I got them for using with an indicator, results were very impressive.
I hardly use my standard single hand lines any more. There is a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it you will love the line. Go on line and look up Single Hand Spey Casting.
I have used several other single hand spey lines and found these were the best.

BJ
From B.C.
Thanks for posting this BJ, I just ordered one of these lines. I’m having shoulder problems, and casting leaves me in significant pain. This should help. The guys out there were a great help, and gave me good advise. Thanks again sir!
Old 07-17-2020, 02:35 PM

sounds like the glass would be a good option for smaller water or crowded conditions, my falleye spot has a wall of tall willows right at my back so it makes casting not so easy especially for a spinfisher like me. 40 to 50 feet would be perfect

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-17-2020, 02:57 PM

Lefty Kreh was big on teaching casting with a lower elbow and using the body a bit more. Helps minimize shoulder issues.