Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-31-2019, 07:56 PM

Default Snow geese hunt BB or #2

I am going on snow geese hunt. Should I go with BB or #2 shot?

I have 50 shells of #2s, planning to buy more. Should I by BB or #2?
Old 03-31-2019, 08:18 PM

2 boxes should be good for 10-15 min lol. I would go BB as i have a feeling shots wont be on birds decoying for most part
Old 03-31-2019, 09:22 PM

If the shots are so long, that #2 won't provide clean kills , the pattern with BB will be too sparse to provide reliable kills. If they are that far, let them fly, or you will cripple as many as you kill
Old 03-31-2019, 10:50 PM

your question depends on what type of ammo
heavy shot you maybe able to do it with #4 or #2 but its a costly venture to shoot heavy shot or bismuth
steel shot #2 #1 or BB would be a better choice
depends on yer choke options as well ,
have fun remember to post pictures
let us know which # shot you chose
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 04-01-2019, 12:19 AM

Buy #1 shot,,, BBs are overkill for snows.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:42 AM

I would use 2's for decoy shooting and BB's for pass shooting. You could also try loading your gun with the first shot being a load of 2's followed by loads of BB's as the flaring birds will be further on the second and/or third shot.

BB's have significantly more energy than 2's and less pellets on the bird are required to make a lethal kill.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benelli1 View Post
I would use 2's for decoy shooting and BB's for pass shooting. You could also try loading your gun with the first shot being a load of 2's followed by loads of BB's as the flaring birds will be further on the second and/or third shot.

BB's have significantly more energy than 2's and less pellets on the bird are required to make a lethal kill.
Then again, there are almost twice as many #2 in the same load, so denser patterns, and better odds of hitting the vitals, especially the head and neck . And at reasonable ranges #2 will penetrate enough to provide clean kills.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Then again, there are almost twice as many #2 in the same load, so denser patterns, and better odds of hitting the vitals, especially the head and neck . And at reasonable ranges #2 will penetrate enough to provide clean kills.
I agree, but there are arguments for both. BB's have over twice the foot pounds energy at 40 yards than #2 have resulting in much greater shocking power and fewer pellets required for a lethal kill on BODY Shots. If you are proficient at consistently making head and neck shots at 40+ yards then 2's are probably the way to go. If your gun patterns a fairly dense pattern with BB's with a given brand of ammo at 40 yards that is what I would use for longer range shooting.

Whatever floats your boat I guess.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:28 PM

Elk not sure how much springs shooting you have done elk but different ball game then shooting Canada’s. BB for breaking bone and you typically shoot at higher heights as they decoy like crap in spring especially considering no juvi’s. Doesn’t take much to drop a snow compared to other geese. BB is the way to go and wouldn’t hesitate 3.5” if u got em. Different story in fall with lots of juvies and 1’s and 2’s work great

Quote:
Old 04-01-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Elk not sure how much springs shooting you have done elk but different ball game then shooting Canada’s. BB for breaking bone and you typically shoot at higher heights as they decoy like crap in spring especially considering no juvi’s. Doesn’t take much to drop a snow compared to other geese. BB is the way to go and wouldn’t hesitate 3.5” if u got em. Different story in fall with lots of juvies and 1’s and 2’s work great
I have shot snows in the fall, not in the spring, but spring or fall, if they are not close enough for me to be very confident of kills with 3" loads of #2, I just don't shoot. I would rather pass on shots, than take low percentage shots that cripple as many birds as they kill. I have shot quite a few geese at 40-50 yards with 3" loads of #2, and if they are 60 or 70 yards away I just don't shoot, as even with 3-1/2" loads of BB, the rate of crippling birds ,increases, to where it's not acceptable to me. One snow goose hunt I was in on near Saskatoon, had some hunters shooting over four boxes of shells, because they shot at birds that were too far away , but they killed less birds, than myself and another hunter that fired half as many shots. Watching them shoot, they likely crippled more birds than they killed.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-01-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:27 PM

Search Tom Roster Lethality chart. There is no better source of information for non tox shells and shooting waterfowl.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:32 PM

I had great success using #2 Winchester with IC choke. Now that was fro ducks and this time its geese, thats why I am concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
your question depends on what type of ammo
heavy shot you maybe able to do it with #4 or #2 but its a costly venture to shoot heavy shot or bismuth
steel shot #2 #1 or BB would be a better choice
depends on yer choke options as well ,
have fun remember to post pictures
let us know which # shot you chose
Old 04-01-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafiul15 View Post
I had great success using #2 Winchester with IC choke. Now that was fro ducks and this time its geese, thats why I am concerned.
I see in another of your posts you are asking opinions on Winchesters vs Challengers in BB shot loads. If your having success with the Winchester brand in your gun you should not be hesitant to try the same shell with the larger pellets.

There is nothing wrong with the Challengers either if they pattern well in your gun......the key is to find what patterns best in your gun not anyone elses.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:31 AM

the best I have used other then hevi shot #1 shot so far is Black cloud snow goose ammo its a little faster 1635 fps,
I bought a case of 12 gauge 1/2 #2 shot 1/2 #BB shot, 3 inch
it reaches out a good distance and slams them ,
it patterns really well in my browning gold with a light modified choke tube
if they made the same stuff in #1 shot I would use that instead ,
I don't shoot 12 ga 3 1/2 inch at all
if I want to use 3 1/2 inch ammo I'll just use my 10 gauge browning gold , it recoils way less then most 12 gauges , and patterns better then any 12 gauge on the market
and it has way more pellets then any 12 gauge
up to 2 1/4 oz with #2 shot ,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0019.jpg (54.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0020.jpg (42.3 KB, 16 views)
shoot where their

Last edited by Diesel_wiesel; 04-02-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:05 AM

Can anybody recommend a guide?
Old 04-02-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
Search Tom Roster Lethality chart. There is no better source of information for non tox shells and shooting waterfowl.
IS this the chart you are talking about???
https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/docume...ntoxicShot.pdf
shoot where their
Old 04-02-2019, 11:18 AM

Last edited by Doubledown; 04-02-2019 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 04-02-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
I inquired with that Claudio Ungaro because I wanted to send my daughter and grandson on a guided spring snow goose hunt as a surprise gift
he is charging $2500 per person for a 3 morning two evening hunt
prairie sky's is around the same
others maybe cheaper I gave up searching after I talked with those two outfitters
kinda thought
a person is far better off to buy yer own equipment and learn the ropes yer self
if you have 4 guys you want to hunt with
and each spent 1/2 that amount on equipment , you would still have funds left over for fuel lodging and scouting , for a cpl seasons
and would have the equipment for years to come
shoot where their
Old 04-02-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Enough geese are crippled and lost at 40- 50 yards, let alone having the average hunter take 65 yard shots.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I inquired with that Claudio Ungaro because I wanted to send my daughter and grandson on a guided spring snow goose hunt as a surprise gift
others maybe cheaper I gave up searching after I talked with those two outfitters
kinda thought
a person is far better off to buy yer own equipment and learn the ropes yer self
and each spent 1/2 that amount on equipment , you would still have funds left over for fuel lodging and scouting , for a cpl seasons
Yeah, that’s a bit of loot for sure! Thanks for the info!
Old 04-02-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
kinda thought
We are headed to Sask in 2 weeks--much cheaper out there-bit of a drive though
Old 04-02-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Enough geese are crippled and lost at 40- 50 yards, let alone having the average hunter take 65 yard shots.

true stuffs right there Elk
when I just started goose hunting I had no one to teach or explain to me how the ballistics of a shotgun shell really worked I just didn't know any better
I made the uneducated un ethical foolish shots of 65 to 70 yards
never again learned the hard way
it takes some real practice and knowledge to make consistent kills at those ranges,
better off to shorten up yer distance and make clean ethical kills or wait for the next flock
there is always another flock and a another day
experience is a great teacher
besides its way more of a challenge and fun to decoy and coach the birds into a close range that one can almost poke em out of the air with the end of yer gun barrel, the sound of their wings 10 or 20 feet above you the oh crap look in their eyes moment when you sit up out of the layout blind is so much more rewarding
shoot where their
Old 04-02-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Yes
Old 04-02-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
The comment at the top of the column says observed hunters typical range. Like it or not, those are the distances hunters shoot at. If your gun and choke can achieve those patterns at those distances and you are able to hit the bird, it will die. I don’t take shots over 40 yards, but like you stated in one of your posts, other people do.

Do a little research on Roster, he did not build the chart from a few years of hunting waterfowl. Although people will do their best to poke holes in his data, he is more than just another Internet Expert.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:48 PM

Had a new buddy come out. He called his shots--once. Blasting away at 60-70 yards, hitting nothing, plus scaring everything away. From then on, told him I'll call the shot. He sure was antsy, but second hunt with him was limit out vs first of zilch.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
The comment at the top of the column says observed hunters typical range. Like it or not, those are the distances hunters shoot at. If your gun and choke can achieve those patterns at those distances and you are able to hit the bird, it will die. I don’t take shots over 40 yards, but like you stated in one of your posts, other people do.

Do a little research on Roster, he did not build the chart from a few years of hunting waterfowl. Although people will do their best to poke holes in his data, he is more than just another Internet Expert.
If you place pellets in the vitals, the birds will die. But at 65 yards, placing pellets in the vitals will require luck for most shooter/choke/load combinations. At that distance, for the average shooter, it is just as likely that the only pellets that hit the bird, will be in locations that result in the bird flying away wounded. I have seen too many birds fly away wounded, by people using Black Cloud, Blindside, and other high priced 3-1/2" loads, because the people doing the shooting either were shooting too far, or were not leading the birds enough. Attend a few DU or Delta Waterfowl sporting clays shoots, and you soon realize that the average hunter misses a lot of targets at 30-40 yards, let alone 65 yards.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-02-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
If you place pellets in the vitals, the birds will die. But at 65 yards, placing pellets in the vitals will require luck for most shooter/choke/load combinations. At that distance, for the average shooter, it is just as likely that the only pellets that hit the bird, will be in locations that result in the bird flying away wounded. I have seen too many birds fly away wounded, by people using Black Cloud, Blindside, and other high priced 3-1/2" loads, because the people doing the shooting either were shooting too far, or were not leading the birds enough. Attend a few DU or Delta Waterfowl sporting clays shoots, and you soon realize that the average hunter misses a lot of targets at 30-40 yards, let alone 65 yards.
If you researched Roster you would see he has held clinics all over the US getting Hunters to shoot 20 yard and then 30 yard crossing clay targets. Why, to prove to Hunters what brutal shots they actually are. I don’t remember the numbers, but most couldn’t hit the 30’s at all. He has done more to promote ethical shooting than anyone.

I have shot clays and geese with people that have little trouble hitting at 30 to 40 yards, so they are out there.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
If you researched Roster you would see he has held clinics all over the US getting Hunters to shoot 20 yard and then 30 yard crossing clay targets. Why, to prove to Hunters what brutal shots they actually are. I don’t remember the numbers, but most couldn’t hit the 30’s at all. He has done more to promote ethical shooting than anyone.

I have shot clays and geese with people that have little trouble hitting at 30 to 40 yards, so they are out there.
:a rgue2:
you are both right
30 to 40 yrds
I never get cripples or wounded birds and consistently kill birds,
But 50 yards and farther I wont recommend , for anyone,
whether you are using 2 3/4 , 3 inch or 3 1/2 inch 20 gauge ,16 gauge, 12 gauge or even 10 gauge ,
if a person pays attention to the muzzle velocity of yer ammo , they will soon notice a 12 gauge 2 3/4 at 1550 fps will kill as many birds , efficiently as a 12 gauge 3 1/2 inch that the muzzle velocity of 12 or 1300 fps, most people have a misconception, of a 10 gauge , look at most 10 gauge ammo on the shelf, its actually slower then most 12 and 20 gauge ammo, it also recoils less then most 12 ga 3 1/2 inch
why is the ten gauge still the best goose gun??
because it has way more pellets and has a way better pattern and holds its pattern the best ,it also doesn't string out its shot near as bad as all the other gauges, (which puts more pellet on target at the exact same time) it was designed to shoot big pellet loads
as well the 12 gauge 3 1/2 kills at one end and wounds at the other , the bore is to small to allow the amount of pellets out without a considerable amount of recoil and it also has a long string to it,( at 30 yards the shot string can be as long as 18 inches )
so in my opinion the 12 gauge 3 1/2 inch was a sales gimmick , trying to compete with a 10 gauge that actually failed miserably
last fall I couldnt find any 10 gauge ammo , and most local places that handled 12 gauge stuff only had 2 3/4 inch available, I got more geese last fall then I ever have and 85% were shot with a 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch ammo #2 shot , it was what I could acquire locally for ammunition
in the off season 3 evenings a week I practice on clays, I only ever use a 410
I practice out to 40 yards , the beginning of the season its a joke but by the time waterfowl season opens ,
my small 410 is killing clays out to 45 yards very consistently, the I pick up the 12 gauge , and the geese are in trouble if they come into my spread

most people put away their shotgun after 1 or 2 waterfowl hunts , and never look at it until next season when they think they should go try to shoot a goose again, ( these are the people that pound on social media claiming a love to hunting but are better off to be keyboard warriors instead)
thinking they became a better shot gunner , with 10 or 11 months without practice
the greatest asset to being a good wing shooter is practice practice practice ,
most wont , most are just to cheap to spend money on practicing , some just cant afford to, or just don't have time or a place to practice, they don't understand they cant get really good at it by sitting holding down a couch or being a keyboard warrior
true stuffs the way I see it that's my 2 cents worth take it leave it LMAO
sorry for the long spiel ,
shoot where their
Old 04-03-2019, 11:39 AM

Snow geese are overpopulated. Eagles, marsh hawks and coyotes and foxes can help reduce the population too with a little assistance. Read between the lines.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
Snow geese are overpopulated. Eagles, marsh hawks and coyotes and foxes can help reduce the population too with a little assistance. Read between the lines.
I have absolutely no issue with killing as many as legally allowed to control the population, but I just don't like wounding any animal, so it suffers excessively before dying. I realize that there will always be birds wounded and lost, but I try to limit my shots to those well within my capabilities, and those of the equipment that I use.

Tags
ammo, shot shell, shotgun, snow geese, snow goose