Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-06-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Aaaaand, now to try and get the thread slightly back on track..................

Those of you who are seeing fewer numbers of coyotes in your areas, this is a trend I have been seeing and hearing for the last two years now. Some (not officially verified) are hearing rumor of a coyote "parvo" that has hit the area. Could just be part of Ma Nature's cycling process, but I am hearing from all areas that numbers are down significantly.
I supply meat scraps for baiting to some of the largest long-liners in the country when it comes to coyote trapping. General consensus is that numbers are down aproximately sixty percent in all areas. Guys that would normally shoot and snare 300 dogs a season are struggling to get 100.
I am convinced that this is the reason why we have been hearing such an increase of success on native pheasants as well!
Thanx for this ^^^^^. parvo , Martys AC Virus , whatever .. I have also talked with guys that say numbers are down in many places .Ma nature does cycle the wildlife for sure .
Old 05-06-2017, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I'm getting pretty danged tired of people telling me what I should leave and what I should delete .
You wanna leave coyotes until they are prime go ahead.
If a land owner wants them conteolllrd on his property for whatever reason go ahead .
Peoples'ethics are just that and they lead to nothing but arguments , name calling and insults and suspensions .
Cat
Lots of people getting tired Cat. Ethical debates or discussions are some of the most interesting and telling interactions there are. Censoring reasoned debate is a grave injustice to everyone because ethics play a huge role in how we conduct ourselves and are seen by others.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstone View Post
Lots of people getting tired Cat. Ethical debates or discussions are some of the most interesting and telling interactions there are. Censoring reasoned debate is a grave injustice to everyone because ethics play a huge role in how we conduct ourselves and are seen by others.
When people start putting others down because their ethics are not their own with sarcasm and insults it goes against the rules of this board
Cat
Old 05-06-2017, 07:59 PM
Banned

"Sarcasm" would bother only very "tender" people, it's part of everyone's vocabulary. Insults and name calling are not needed, they bother some people. For myself I say "let er' rip".
Old 05-06-2017, 08:20 PM

Come on, about time we see some dead bear pics. Things are greening up quickly.

Grizz
Old 05-07-2017, 06:14 PM

Finally got one today fellas. Would post a pic but there isn't a forum friendly one. My spotters (family) saw it out the window and off I went. Couldn't stop it in the main field and had to go to the far side of the quarter. Saw it again past the bushel of trees in the middle of the property and couldn't get it to stop. Went to the neighbors fence line and couldn't get it. Headed back disheartened. Then there she was. 100 yards out. One shot off of one knee. 223, 55 gr nosler ballistic tip. Got the next round chambered and pick her up in the scope and saw the blood. As she dove for the same central patch of trees I watched her do a front flip and pile up.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotebutcher View Post
Finally got one today fellas. Would post a pic but there isn't a forum friendly one. My spotters (family) saw it out the window and off I went. Couldn't stop it in the main field and had to go to the far side of the quarter. Saw it again past the bushel of trees in the middle of the property and couldn't get it to stop. Went to the neighbors fence line and couldn't get it. Headed back disheartened. Then there she was. 100 yards out. One shot off of one knee. 223, 55 gr nosler ballistic tip. Got the next round chambered and pick her up in the scope and saw the blood. As she dove for the same central patch of trees I watched her do a front flip and pile up.
Great job on the success! I got my first coyote this past winter, but I don't have a coyote gun... You wanna talk "Not forum Friendly", I'll share the pic of mine that was shot with my .30-06

Again, great work on the coyote! One less to chase your dogs and cats!

Jeff
Old 05-08-2017, 10:49 AM
Banned

Coyotes should be shot on sight all the way to never shot under any conditions except endangering human life and every perception in between. All perfectly legal but who is to say "ethical", at least beyond ones own opinion?
Old 05-08-2017, 11:14 PM

Coyotes killed 2 of my moms cats this spring and neighbors cocker spaniel last night. Shoot the suckers whenever you get the chance.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Woke up last night to a bush party...howling and hooting, 90lbs lab joined it too...gotta go for a walk at sunset to close a potential bush party....
Lots of yotes in this neck of the woods.

11 cats gone in 10 years...no dogs though...can't keep count of the yotes that have answered to the mighty six....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-09-2017, 05:46 AM

Default Bam

Quote:

Old 05-09-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Who were you in a previous life? Referring to catnthehat as "Cat", suggests that you been around here for a while.

Welcome Back!
Old 05-09-2017, 09:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Just a figure of speech. I don't keep them for fur. I leave them in the field. just excited I finally saw four in a pack and wanted to include some room for input in my post. I think it would be fairly obvious that if I dealt in coyote fur I would know what time of year they produce fur of value to the consumer. Anyways thanks for the input
I missed the gong show but I figure that it had something to do with the above. Coyotes are very abundant around here and lots of landowners shoot and toss coyotes because they are only interested in controlling the population. If you are interested in turning your whole coyotes into cash I will buy them from you.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Who were you in a previous life? Referring to catnthehat as "Cat", suggests that you been around here for a while.

Welcome Back!
Iv'e been "lurking" as they say for some time, even before "Cat" became a moderator, and recently decided to start commenting on a few things......just to keep a few of you honest!
Old 05-09-2017, 05:55 PM

Sorry if folks are offended that I leave them in the field. But I need something for crow bait
Old 05-09-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Sorry if folks are offended that I leave them in the field. But I need something for crow bait
Are you talking about crown lands or farmers fields with permission when you mentioned fields.

I'm interested in knowing what farmers in Rocky are ok with any person shooting coyotes on their land and allowing them too remain out there.

The fellow that harvests coyotes on our property removes them so there not laying out there where our cattle are, and so we don't have too deal with them "see" this from our tractor when feeding or getting ready to work our fields.

Your lucky that farmers in your area allow you too shot coyotes on their land and leave them there.

Guess I come from a different time when we make use of what one harvests.
Each too their own I guess.

Don
Old 05-09-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Are you talking about crown lands or farmers fields with permission when you mentioned fields.

I'm interested in knowing what farmers in Rocky are ok with any person shooting coyotes on their land and allowing them too remain out there.

The fellow that harvests coyotes on our property removes them so there not laying out there where our cattle are, and so we don't have too deal with them "see" this from our tractor when feeding or getting ready to work our fields.

Your lucky that farmers in your area allow you too shot coyotes on their land and leave them there.

Guess I come from a different time when we make use of what one harvests.
Each too their own I guess.

Don
Back to nature bud. ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Once removed, what exactly should I do with them? Stock pile carcasses then dump them on crown land. Cut them up to feed to the dogs? Bear bait? And just as what has been stated earlier in this thread, their fur is of little value right now, right? Perhaps have a little ceremony, cremate and collect urns full of ash? Obviously I wouldn't be leaving them if the land I hunt on didn't allow it. Perhaps the time you came from is over and people don't need to skin dry and tan fur to make clothing for their children any more. Just sharing my outdoors passion on an outdoors forum, and constantly getting ridiculed by so called outdoorsmen. What do you do with your deer hides? Moose hides? Bones from your harvests? Don't act like you use every part of every animal you kill. From now on I'm sticking to starting threads whining about the NDP and how long I have to wait for my PAL to get approved.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Back to nature bud. ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Once removed, what exactly should I do with them? Stock pile carcasses then dump them on crown land. Cut them up to feed to the dogs? Bear bait? And just as what has been stated earlier in this thread, their fur is of little value right now, right? Perhaps have a little ceremony, cremate and collect urns full of ash? Obviously I wouldn't be leaving them if the land I hunt on didn't allow it. Perhaps the time you came from is over and people don't need to skin dry and tan fur to make clothing for their children any more. Just sharing my outdoors passion on an outdoors forum, and constantly getting ridiculed by so called outdoorsmen. What do you do with your deer hides? Moose hides? Bones from your harvests? Don't act like you use every part of every animal you kill. From now on I'm sticking to starting threads whining about the NDP and how long I have to wait for my PAL to get approved.
The hides from game harvest go too the pelt shops that they turn into Deer, Elk, and moose hide gloves, bones for our furry critters too chew on.
We try too use most of what we can.

Yes that folks do predator culling, but would it be practical or at least wise too move the expired critters so there not in view.

Kinda friendly in a way one would think, don't know as its the fields that your farmers give you permission too hunt on.

I'm no do gooder by no means, Cat can vouch for that. Ha.

Just sounds strange leaving expired coyotes laying on the fields in the off season.
Guess we all see things from different angles.

Don.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Haha. You will for sure get better responses! I enjoyed that!

Glad your out having fun in the outdoors, do not let the forum take away from that!
Old 05-12-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Offended? Sounds to me like you are recycling the coyote back to the land.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
The hides from game harvest go too the pelt shops that they turn into Deer, Elk, and moose hide gloves, bones for our furry critters too chew on.
We try too use most of what we can.

Yes that folks do predator culling, but would it be practical or at least wise too move the expired critters so there not in view.

Kinda friendly in a way one would think, don't know as its the fields that your farmers give you permission too hunt on.

I'm no do gooder by no means, Cat can vouch for that. Ha.

Just sounds strange leaving expired coyotes laying on the fields in the off season.
Guess we all see things from different angles.

Don.

If it's legal then it's ok.
We can't press our personal believes on others nor challenge it, shoot the yote legal all is good whether you sell the hide or just leave it...all,is good.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Iv'e been "lurking" as they say for some time, even before "Cat" became a moderator, and recently decided to start commenting on a few things......just to keep a few of you honest!
That was my point, who were you "lurking" as previously, since your current profile was created May 2017.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
That was my point, who were you "lurking" as previously, since your current profile was created May 2017.
To me "lurking" means reading the forums from time to time but not registering or participating but evidently this is not true. I have no idea what I was doing, but call it what you want.

Next question: Why now? Because I especially didn't like the post on the attack and one or two others. I am also awaiting major surgery so have time on my hands. I am an old geezer but still love sex, hunting, fishing, and trapping. Oh yeah! eating too.

-attack by coyote

Last edited by Bigstone; 05-13-2017 at 04:33 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 05-14-2017, 08:08 AM

Well then let me be the first to say welcome to forum. I guarantee you will get much more out of it being able to actively participate in the conversation. And at your rate of 33 posts in your first week, you should have a great time!