Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-31-2008, 11:29 AM

Default Ethics

It seems this time of year, threads always boil down to "ethics". What is ethical, what isn't? Lots of guys say, "if you hunt within the laws, that's ethical enough for me".

I don't believe the laws are there to keep people ethical, they are to keep stupid people from doing stupid things, and give people in authority a vehicle to punish the stupid. Common courtesy would be nice, but it doesn't seem to be that common anymore. But why judge other hunters by the way they hunt, if you don't like it, don't hunt with them. If it bothers you, invite them to hunt with you, share your technique. You might learn something from each other. If it really bothers you, go somewhere else.

What I don't understand is how "ethics" seem to change depending on what creature is being harvested? You can shoot 200 gophers a day and let them lay, but shooting a big game animal and leaving is against the law. Not that I'm condoning the action (personally I hunt for substance and for the good times spend with my family while doing it), but what's the difference really. Sure ones a pest and one isn't, but how can one be wasteful and not the other?

I really don't understand what/who the "fair chase" laws are protecting? The animal? It's better for a deer to die from the hunter arrow from a tree stand then from a bullet out of a truck window? You're on a higher moral ground if you shoot moose sleeping rather then swimming? I know this is not going to be a popular opinion, but I could care less how you go about killing your animal, you do it your way, I'll do it mine. I think "fair chase" is almost impossible to define. It's not "fair" to get close to an animal on the back of a snow machine, but it is "fair" to use cartridges with almost 300 yard point blank ranges; effectively isn't it the same thing?

Obviously lines have to been drawn somewhere, but that's the trouble, where to draw them?

I think the real trouble here it that hunting is also a "sport". People shoot the animal with the biggest head, widest paddles, longest curl, tallest antlers, ect..... so they need rules so everyone can be "judged" under the same circumstances. I think people would enjoy themselves hunting more if they weren't constantly worried about the "other guy" shooting "the big one".

I know this post is kinda jumping around a bit, but I just don't know why people get so worked up about these kind of things. We're always talking about getting more people involved in the sport, but if they aren't doing it the same way you are, it's no good? I just don't think we can have it both ways.

Anyways, I'm rambling......so I'll stop there. Just go out there and have fun. Enjoy time with family or hunting buddies. Enjoy nature, chat with that guy who walked down "your" cutline, might be a nice guy and a landowner willing to share his resources with you. Don't worry about others, worry about enjoying yourself.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:45 AM

Here's a quick definition of ethics that I pulled off them thar internets.

–plural noun 1. (used with a singular or plural verb) a system of moral principles: the ethics of a culture.
2. the rules of conduct recognized in respect to a particular class of human actions or a particular group, culture, etc.: medical ethics; Christian ethics.
3. moral principles, as of an individual: His ethics forbade betrayal of a confidence.
4. (usually used with a singular verb) that branch of philosophy dealing with values relating to human conduct, with respect to the rightness and wrongness of certain actions and to the goodness and badness of the motives and ends of such actions.

There are university degrees based on this topic, so the issue is never going to go away because one person thinks different than the next. If we all were the same, we'd be robots.

Where it gets tricky is when a small group inflames a larger group who is accustomed to a certain standard that they percieve to be 'right'.

I'll admit I'm often in this 'larger' group and for example I really dislike anything to do with PETA. Does that make me right? Does that make me a bad person? If there is a moral majority does it make them right and the smaller groups wrong? Then how do you define right and wrong? Who is good, who is bad?

Rather than get too worked up, I just try to take my own path, adhere to my own values, and try not to impose my opinions on others as I would appreciate not being imposed on myself. If someone wants to know, I'll share with them, but not force it down thier throats. (Like PETA and many others do)
Old 10-31-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
2. the rules of conduct recognized in respect to a particular class of human actions or a particular group, culture, etc.: medical ethics; Christian ethics.
There are clearly "rules" outside the law that most of us would agree with. Like setting up and shooting 5 yards away from another hunter. It's legal, but.....

That's why I like forums like this. We don't agree on everything, but it's a way to educate and shape the beliefs and "ethics" of the hunting community. There are some things I might have done when I started that were perfectly legal, but I wouldn't do them now because I've started to become integrated into the "community of hunters."

And I think we understand, or should, the concept of "regulate yourselves, or someone else will do it for you".
Old 10-31-2008, 12:11 PM
Banned

Good read Rancheroman,, got to be in agreence with you on a lot of what you said... Good stuff..
Old 10-31-2008, 12:42 PM

Rancher man ?
Your either unemployed or an insomniac........ looks like you have lots of time to think out things.....

Well said....
Old 10-31-2008, 05:37 PM

Default Ethics

I am in total agreement. I used to think that my way was the right way until I joined this forum but have found the world is not thaT small. Everyone has their opinion and are entitled to it . I have become very tolerant since reading the posts on here. I really enjoy them but I dont reply too often as there is always someone that answers beforee which is great. I am a little thin skinned so I dont make too many statements. Keep the the good chatter.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:26 AM

Good read.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-01-2008, 06:41 AM
.300wsm

Well put.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:38 AM

Thanks guys,

As you can see from my post count, I'm a total lurker around here. And like some of you above posters, before getting involved in this forum, I thought my way of hunting was the better way. In the last 3-4 years I come to learn that my way of hunting is just that, my way........not any better or worse. I love hearing the stories of good, fun hunts on here, it's great to hear other people enjoying this "way of life" too; and it gives me another technique to try next time I'm out.

Good stuff.

(RancheroMan: as in the Ford car)
Old 11-01-2008, 09:22 AM

The point to me is we are supposed to be in a free counrty (but it isn't) so you do your thing and i'll do mine as long as it is within the laws of the land. So i try and mind my business and others do the same , but it seems like we have learned to want to backstab or fellow hunters rather than minding our own business.