Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2008, 05:54 PM

Default PC ruining Canada?

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/can...html?id=917793

Forget about the War on Christmas. The mavens of political correctness have a new target in their crosshairs: Halloween........................

Is this the future of Canada, denying our culture, history and traditions because some people may be offended. Well guess what, I am VERY offended, this is an outrage, Halloween is Halloween, it is supposed to have ghosts and goblins, candy is indeed handed out for children (and sneaky parents) to consume. Also, when did a school board become able to dictate to a religion how they are allowed to celebrate their holidays, and what authority do they have to change the official holiday's name? This coming from the city that has the biggest gay pride celebrations and expect people not to be offended!!

If we continue to allow this to happen we are no different than those countries that oppress and prosecute free thinking. How dare those seeking a better life come to Canada only to drag their baggage with them and not revel in the freedom in which they were denied in their former homes. This is ridiculous and I for one will only shop at stores this Christmas where they actually wish their customers a Merry Christmas. We need to take a stand before we end up being prosecuted for following our own culture and traditions.

Official multiculturalism, as practiced in Canada, is in fact anti-Canadian racism that must suppress traditional Canadian identity in order to make way for the new Canadian non-identity.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:21 PM

It s Toronto, I mean does this really suprise you? Common sense doesnt exist east of the Manitoba border.......who cares let us pagans rejoice...BOO
Old 10-30-2008, 06:52 PM

We should have been fighting this fight a long time ago. Unfortunately, try and stop it now, too many years of liberal government has made this country what it is too day.

I'm embarrassed to say, Canada is not the country it was 20 years ago.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Banned

Its becoming common out here as well.
My wifes school calls it "Harvest festival"

PATHETIC!!!

Jamie
Old 10-30-2008, 07:27 PM

Some of the garbage like this that people are coming up with these days almost makes me ashamed to call myself a Canadian.

Do people not have anything better to do with their time than look for ways to complain that they are somehow being victimised or suffering psychological damage by being exposed to Canadian culture. Give me a break!!!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post

Forget about the War on Christmas. The mavens of political correctness have a new target in their crosshairs: Halloween........................

Is this the future of Canada, denying our culture, history and traditions because some people may be offended. Well guess what, I am VERY offended, this is an outrage, Halloween is Halloween, it is supposed to have ghosts and goblins, candy is indeed handed out for children (and sneaky parents) to consume. Also, when did a school board become able to dictate to a religion how they are allowed to celebrate their holidays, and what authority do they have to change the official holiday's name? This coming from the city that has the biggest gay pride celebrations and expect people not to be offended!!

If we continue to allow this to happen we are no different than those countries that oppress and prosecute free thinking. How dare those seeking a better life come to Canada only to drag their baggage with them and not revel in the freedom in which they were denied in their former homes. This is ridiculous and I for one will only shop at stores this Christmas where they actually wish their customers a Merry Christmas. We need to take a stand before we end up being prosecuted for following our own culture and traditions.

Official multiculturalism, as practiced in Canada, is in fact anti-Canadian racism that must suppress traditional Canadian identity in order to make way for the new Canadian non-identity.
THAT is one of the most real, truthful and finest posts I have ever read on any forum.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:44 PM

I am not politically correct. I think that truth is best.

I want Christmas Concerts, not "winter celebrations"

I say "Merry Christmas", not "seasons greetings"

I expect to be spoken to in English everywhere I go in this country.

If you work, you get paid. If you don't work, you starve.

Best to keep your mouth shut until you have some credibility.

I liked "All in the Family".

There is one God, and I know him. He left me a book about his life and I read it. And it was in English.

The only man that ever touched my rear end and lived was the doctor who delivered me.

I figure Canadian kids should be first in line for everything. If someone from somewhere else disagrees, me and the worst Canadian soldier will whip you and yours and make believers out of you.

The ocean goes both ways. So do aircraft and ships.

If you carry a purse, you are a woman. Period.

Holding doors open for women is mandatory. So is getting up out of a chair when she walks in the room.

Liberals are bad. Those that follow them are worse.

Soldiers are the reason Canada is the greatest country in the world.

Feel free to add.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I am not politically correct. I think that truth is best.

I want Christmas Concerts, not "winter celebrations"

I say "Merry Christmas", not "seasons greetings"

I expect to be spoken to in English everywhere I go in this country.

If you work, you get paid. If you don't work, you starve.

Best to keep your mouth shut until you have some credibility.

I liked "All in the Family".

There is one God, and I know him. He left me a book about his life and I read it. And it was in English.

The only man that ever touched my rear end and lived was the doctor who delivered me.

I figure Canadian kids should be first in line for everything. If someone from somewhere else disagrees, me and the worst Canadian soldier will whip you and yours and make believers out of you.

The ocean goes both ways. So do aircraft and ships.

If you carry a purse, you are a woman. Period.

Holding doors open for women is mandatory. So is getting up out of a chair when she walks in the room.

Liberals are bad. Those that follow them are worse.

Soldiers are the reason Canada is the greatest country in the world.

Feel free to add.

ummm you might want to check your facts on this one there buddy.... unless you are just saying the book you read was in english...not that the book was originally in english.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
ummm you might want to check your facts on this one there buddy.... unless you are just saying the book you read was in english...not that the book was originally in english.
Yup, the one I read was in English alright.....otherwise I couldn't have read it.

Don't read into it.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:46 PM

Well said Huntinstuff!
Old 10-30-2008, 09:04 PM

Very well said Huntinstuff!
Old 10-30-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Very well said Huntinstuff!
X3 Huntinstuff
I have read some of it in the Greek but never the part in Hebrew kept to the english for the most part but would hope one day to read it in spanish
Old 10-30-2008, 09:13 PM

RIGHT ON !! you do not have to like it here...but you better respect it..or you can pack up and return to what ever hell hole you came from !
Old 10-30-2008, 09:14 PM

X4 huntin stuff

Not a fan of halloween myself. It's a pagan ritual gone commercial. Sure, I did the trick-or-treat thing when I was a kid. I'd hardly call it a Canadian cultural or heritage component......tradition maybe? Don't come to my house now lol.................no treats for you! (says the halloween nazi )
Old 10-30-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Yup, the one I read was in English alright.....otherwise I couldn't have read it.

Don't read into it.
haha gotcha.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:41 PM

Were getting stepped all over and its sooo frustrating. Immigrants chose to come here, then in doing so should choose to accept our ways. They don't need to believe in what we do, but they should learn to keep there mouths shut about it. They shouldn't even be allowed here unless they learn English as far as I'm concerned. And why should we bend over backwards changing our ways as to not offend them? They don't worry about offending us when they ask us to change our names for holidays. Were expected to change our way of life for them, yet when there asked to do something ie. wear helmet when riding a motorbike. It becomes a huge thing about that being against there religion and therefore they shouldn't have to follow the same rules as everyone else because of their religion. There the ones who chose to come here! WE were born here. So i think it is only fair that at the very least they should accept Canada for what it was.

I'm so sick of the hypocrisy of it all. Like in Toronto last year, i heard on the news everyone praising this group for starting an all black school. WTC if we started an all white school there would be protesting and all hell to pay. How is it if white people do it its racist but its ok for them to do it. I dunno... i know that's bit off topic but its kinda similar! There shouldn't be double standards to our constitution. GGRRRRR lol

Honest I am not a racist person. I just feel like were expected to respect immigrants and people of different race, different cultures, different religions, & different languages. Why is it too much to ask that, that respect, go both ways?

Happy HALLOWEEN!!!!!!
Merry Christmas!!!
& Happy Easter!!!!
to you all
Old 10-30-2008, 09:46 PM

Ya gotta love Link Byfield - talking about the Liberals, NDP & Green 'progressive' parties....

But before going further, let’s define “progressivism.”
Quite simply, it’s the assumption that government should get bigger.
This is not how the progressive parties themselves think of it it. They’d say they just want government to become more compassionate, more green, more fair, more feminist, more helpful. But it’s how a very astute retired McMaster political scientist, Janet Azjenstat, defined it in her useful 2003 book “The Once and Future Canadian Democracy.”
Progressivists take it for granted, she explained, that whatever governments are already doing, it is not enough. They must move forward and take and spend more of our money – to register our guns, restrict our speech, protect our self-esteem, choose our television programs, schedule our surgeries, raise our children, plan industrial strategies, eradicate sexism, save the planet, nurture our culture, and address the root causes of crime. And it is never enough. There are always more problems to solve, and it is always government’s responsibility to do it.
Progressivists argue about which specific problems matter most, but they solidly agree on the underlying point – that the primary duty of the state is to solve a never-ending series of problems.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post

So, this is what the old man jumped on D-Day for. The "Greatest generation".

It'll be cold day in he11 when one of mine does it. I'll just be leavin' that business up to these new Canadians and politically perfect types now.

Welcome to the Trudeau, the ultimate objector's dreamy, cultural mosaic. He'd be doing his famous, fa#o##y, pirouette in the halls of the commons.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:08 PM

I kind of want to stir this up a bit, so I will.

Now some of you are angry at the immigrants for coming here and then complaining and trying to change things. How did the Natives feel when the Europeans came here and changed everything? At least the immigrants aren't coming in and killing us or putting us, unwillingly, on small pieces of land. Just think about it.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:09 PM

I think most of you need to stop and think to yourself. How can I support my Country?
When one talks about Canada as East and West, we can see where the real break down is occuring.
Most ignorant people tend to fail at looking at the root cause of most of our situations within Canada that has changed traditional Holidays and cermonies.

It is't the Immirgrant, it is the politician who follows on a bad notion of gaining popularity. Unfortuantly those who are so opposed to such changes are the ones who stray far from activly taking part in denouncing the changes other then a few internet comments.

How many of you voted this past election?
How many of you have written about your concerns about changing Canadian Culture to not only your local MP and favorite political party, but also to the other partys out there? They need to know if your displeased or happy with a decision.

When I look at Canada I look from one coast to another, from the North to the South.
I don't really care about individual differences because as a Country we need to support ourselves as a whole.

When one mentions East of Manitoba it sounds to me like the "Liberal or NDP speeches of Canada and Southern Ontario".

Speak of Canada as a whole and be proud of it.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeo View Post

Now some of you are angry at the immigrants for coming here and then complaining and trying to change things. How did the Natives feel when the Europeans came here and changed everything? At least the immigrants aren't coming in and killing us or putting us, unwillingly, on small pieces of land. Just think about it.
Not yet anyhow......(says the German immigrant's grandson)....lol But then again, back then, the Government did post "free land". All we had to do is clear a bit of bush and build a cabin and farm it. Sounded like a good idea at the time.

But seriously, the original "Homeland Security" didn't do a very good job did they.....
Old 10-31-2008, 05:29 AM
Banned

Default Pagan??????

Halloween is derived from the old Roman Catholic holy day, "All Hallows Eve" and THAT was in many respects a continuance of various "pagan" harvest and other festivals.I would point out two things here:

1. Canada is a nation BUILT almost entirely by pioneers from northwestern European nations; there was NO "nation" here when we first began this process, circa AD 985. There WERE various groups of warring, canabalistic Neolithic peoples, however, in ALL the time they had, supposedly lived here, they had NEVER evolved a "nation" in the geographic region Canada now occupies. So, to say that we "stole" this land is both false and highly RACIST....people like me take exception to such bullschitt.

2.The bigotry against "white" people here now has been deliberately fostered by certain immigrant groups who are former British subjects as well as those who are from former Italian, French and German colonies. I have always found this highly amusing, considering that they would not BE HERE had it not been for European exploration, colonial development and our acceptance of immigrants.

In short, we NEED to support OUR traditions, as in Christian "creches" outside of government buildings; this was BANNED in one Lower Mainland municipality by an NDP mayor, who THEN strongly advocated using "Feng Shui" practices to adjust the siting of a new municipal building next door.........typical.

I am largely opposed to further immigration into Canada, based on what I have seen here since Diefenbaker opened it up far too widely in 1962, (it was NOT Trudeau, folks). We have turbans, daggers and other non-tradtional items in Parliament, in contravention of CENTURIES of OUR traditions and daggers are carried in schools, NOT good, IMHO.

People need to stop listening to the old lie about how "we are all immigrants"; this is WRONG and highly offensive to those born here who families have BEEN HERE for centuries. Funny, I am something like a 7th or 8th generation Canadian on my mother's side, yet, I am merely an "immigrant" to the progressives, yet, some guy from the Punjab, just off the plane from Delhi who speaks no English, is an "Indo-Canadian"....no hypocrisy here, now, is there?

Racism IS bad, but, is cultural treason an acceptable substitute? THAT, to me, is the crucial question of our time and one we have, as yet, failed to answer.

Last edited by Kutenay; 10-31-2008 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:18 AM

There has to be a "nation" here in order for it to not be up for grabs? Doesn't matter what was here when the first settlers came, as there were people LIVING here.

The "we are all immigrants" I'll agree is wrong in that just the ancestors were.

Although I'm an American so technically I am an immigrant
Old 10-31-2008, 07:58 AM

Default Breaking up the country

Just so as it is clear , our brothers to the south are in the same dilemna ..

Is there anybody on here who seriously thinks we can reverse this non sense ...that seems to be eastern ( ottawa ) based ...

So where are the caucasians going to live .... ???

Heres a thought , that is likely finally going through the average

2nd and 3 rd generation Canadians head " If your not happy , say something ...

Apathy , thy name is Canadian , proof record low voter turnout

for last federal election .....

Once again we get the Government we deserve .....

I am the furthest thing from religious but I am sentimental

and do like tradition ....

" HEY , take your hands off my Festivus Tree "

And by the way there is no hope for Toronto or Vancouver

Save the prairies ... Thats all you can do ....

In fact .... Ab ./ Sask / Man. should be advertising in Vancouver and Toronto

Come to the Flatlands where Christmas is still all about " EXCESS"

X2 on KUtenays post ....

Last edited by Winch101; 10-31-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:14 AM
Banned

To understand what actually happened during the evolutionary-historical process from which Canada emerged, one needs to know a fair amount about Canadian history. It is particularly important to learn about the vast difference between the horrific genocide and deliberate extirpation of "indigenous peoples" that took place in the USA and the largely peaceful, cooperative and mutually beneficial situation here in Canada...all too often, few Canadians and fewer foreigners DO learn Canadian history.

I remember how angry my uncles would get when some foreigner would mouth off about " you are all immigrants, anyway"; these guys were ALL WWII combat vets, Canadian-born volunteers and they kinda thought they WERE Canadians, NOT "immigrants". My grandfather, their dad, came home to Canada, after Courcellette where he was wounded and Passchendaele where he was very severely wounded...he was BORN near Belleville, ONT. in 1886, from a family that originally came to Canada with Sir William Alexander...."immigrant",????....no, I don't think so.

This attitude on the part of foreigners is WHY I and many native Canadians as well as aboriginal Canadians are now VERY opposed to immigration. In Quebec, they are actually doing something about the on-slaught of foreigners and I want to see much the same thing happen throughout Canada.

Do it OUR way, respect OUR traditions or GO BACK!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:56 AM
Banned

Right on huntinstuff right on....
Old 10-31-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeo View Post

Dude that argument is effective for the first 100 year or so. Now it's getting more than a little old.

Last edited by Albertadiver; 10-31-2008 at 10:31 AM. Reason: shpelling
Old 10-31-2008, 10:36 AM

The problem here isn't immigrants. The problem here is policy created by people in charge (largely non-immigrants) who believe that offending people should be illegal.

This story is just the tip of the iceberg. Cancelling Halloween in public schools is nothing compared to the kinds of things the Human Rights courts in Canada are doing when certain people are "offended". This isn't just about maintaining Canadian traditions, this is far worse: freedom of speech and expression is under attack in Canada.

http://ezralevant.com/2008/10/albert...s-have-no.html
Old 10-31-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutenay View Post
Halloween is derived from the old Roman Catholic holy day, "All Hallows Eve" and THAT was in many respects a continuance of various "pagan" harvest and other festivals.I would point out two things here:

I am largely opposed to further immigration into Canada, based on what I have seen here since Diefenbaker opened it up far too widely in 1962, (it was NOT Trudeau, folks).

Racism IS bad, but, is cultural treason an acceptable substitute? THAT, to me, is the crucial question of our time and one we have, as yet, failed to answer.
Not sure what you think "Dief" did, Kutenay, but Trudeau certainly took the ball and ran with it to create his, what I will call, "Hippiefied" Canada.

Immigration can't be stopped, nor would it be wise to, but it sure as heck can be dialed down, and re-shaped. i.e. ditch the "mosaic" approach and start leaning back toward the "melting pot" ideology. Mosaic, by it's very definition, implies that each part is different or unique from another, with clearly defined boundaries. It is a pipe (no pun) dream to believe that a nation will evolve united when they are set apart by defining, and asserting, themselves as different from the rest. With nothing to knit the mosaic pieces together, it will ultimately fall apart.

Entitling and accommodating new Canadians to the extent that it erodes the culture of those before them does nothing to provide the stitching necessary to keep the mosaic together. In fact it tears the fabric apart.

Government either "gets a grip" so to speak, or the ship is lost. One nation, one culture.

Search

The Online Encyclopedia and Dictionary

Encyclopedia

Dictionary

Quotes

Categories: Ethnic groups of Canada
Cultural mosaic

Cultural mosaic is a term used to describe the "patchwork quilt" of ethnic groups, languages and cultures that co-exist within Canadian society. A cultural mosaic is contrasted to the notion of a melting pot, often used with respect to the United States.
Contents [showhide]
1 Overview
2 Origin and use of the term
3 Influence on multiculturalism
4 References
5 External links
Overview

An ethnocultural profile of Canada prepared by Statistics Canada describes a nation that, at the outset of the 21st Century, has become progressively more multi-ethnic and multicultural. The Introduction to the report stated that:

Immigration to Canada over the past 100 years has shaped Canada, with each new wave of immigrants adding to the nation’s ethnic and cultural composition. Half a century ago, most immigrants came from Europe. Now most newcomers are from Asia.

As a result, the number of visible minorities in Canada is growing. And, Canadians listed more than 200 ethnic groups in answering the 2001 Census question on ethnic ancestry, reflecting a varied, rich cultural mosaic as the nation started the new millennium.[1]

Origin and use of the term

The first use of the term to refer to Canadian society was by John Murray Gibbon , in his 1938 book The Canadian Mosaic . Gibbon clearly disapproved of the American melting-pot concept. He saw the melting pot as a process by which immigrants and their descendants were encouraged to cut off ties with their countries and cultures of origin so as to assimilate into the American way of life.

In 1965, John Porter published his influencial sociological study, Vertical Mosaic: An Analysis of Social Class and Power in Canada. Porter's book showed that some groups (e.g., those of British origin) were better off with respect to measures of income, education and health than others. For example, groups of eastern and southern European origin tended to fare less well by these measures. The worst off were the First Nations and Inuit. Porter, saw this vertical arrangement as being related to power and influence in decision-making. Thus those of British origin tended to be overrepresented among the elites in government, economic and political spheres.

Porter’s findings have been tested in several studies since 1965 and have been modified slightly. For example, the economic disparity between ethnic groups has narrowed somewhat and Francophones are better represented in politics and government. However, the socio-economic elites in Canada remain dominated by people of British origin.
Influence on multiculturalism

Since the beginning of the 20th Century, Canada has been one of the world's major immigrant-receiving societies. Until the 1960's immigrants were expected to assimilate into the mainstream society. Arriving as it did at during a time of social upheaval, Porter's work had a marked influence on Canadian social policy. The view of Canada as a mosaic of cultures became the basis for the Trudeau government's multiculturalism policies in the early 1970's.

The Canadian government established the Official Multiculturalism Act in 1971 and appointed a minister responsible for multiculturalism in 1972. In 1973 a Canadian Multiculturalism Council was established, along with a Multiculturalism Branch within the Department of the Secretary of State.
References

* Gibbon, J. 1938. The Canadian Mosaic, McClelland & Stewart Limited, Toronto.
* Porter, J. 1965. The Vertical Mosaic: An Analysis of Social Class and Power in Canada. University of Toronto Press.

External links

* Statistics Canada Canada’s ethnocultural portrait: The changing mosaic
* "Vertical Mosaic" The Canadian Encyclopedia online

Categories: Ethnic groups of Canada
Last updated: 10-16-2005 09:45:12
The contents of this article are licensed from Wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. How to see transparent copy

Arts and Culture Entertainment People Science Social Sciences Geography
Maths Nature Knowledge All Categories
Fact Archive.com, 2005. Legal info
Old 10-31-2008, 11:51 AM

in this new world, nothing is sacred anymore. theres always some whiney face poopy pants (thats what my sister would call it shes 8) out there ruining stuff. everyone wants a change, but so far every change has caused more grief than anything. i thing we should change everything to how it was 50 years ago, a family was a family, did family things. a gun was a gun that could kill and we respected that. traditions were traditions and no one really questioned them. if you were gay you kept it to yourself. and everything was a lot cheaper including gas. that would be a better world.