Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2008, 09:29 PM

Default might be a stupid question about bears but..

Why are people more concerned about grizzlies and not black bears? I know there is a big size difference, but are grizzlies more aggressive or harder to deter from attacking if you come across one?

I'm not from here and have never had to worry about grizzlies until now so it might be a obvious question.

just seems that black bears are much more common but no one seems to care
Old 10-28-2008, 10:18 PM

there are no stupid questions only answers,

so here we go.

Typically when I'm out in the mountains I am actually less concerned about girzzlies than either blackies or cougars. I don't think actual (predatory) attacks on humans by grizzlies are common or happen at all frequently.

There are exceptions though for hunters in particular.

Grizzlies are at the top of the food chain and have developed the MO to take kills from everything else that's smaller if they can. They tend to do that to hunters too. Grizzlies would usually ignore you in the backcountry, but when you are carrying half a sheep or are in the process of gutting, deboning an elk: worry!
Two guys got killed over an elk in BC a few years back and that might have been the fate of the hunter last year.

The other thing that happens is hunters moving stealthily getting between a mother and her cubs by accident. The bowhunter who killed a sow with his knife last year did that. Mr Wagner may have too, but we'll never know.
I don't think if you are hiking or so and not moving particulalry quietly there is a big chance of that happening.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:34 PM

If your referring to the bear studies that are presently going on in this province it's because the government is concern there maybe a low grizzly bear population. Noone really knows the true number of grizzlies in Alberta and thats what they are presently trying to determine. They estimate somewhere between 500 and 1000 bears.
Quote:
Typically when I'm out in the mountains I am actually less concerned about girzzlies than either blackies or cougars.
You should always be alert and paying attention to your surroundings when out in the mountains. Alta brings up some valid points here but 'not being concerned about bears' is not on my list.
When I'm hiking, hunting, or fishing in the back country I carry bear spray and am always alert to my surroundings.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:37 PM

I said "less concerned" and I always carry bear spray.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
When I'm hiking, hunting, or fishing in the back country I carry bear spray and am always alert to my surroundings.
Is it legal to carry a rifle I much prefer that over bear spray. Always wondered about the legalities.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:20 PM

most of the black bears i have run into....are skittish and smaller in size....some even smaller than me....not that they aren't much stronger...but they don't know that. however..all the grizz's i have seen (excluding cubs of course) have been much bigger than me...and not as skittish. so that is why they scare me more....just because to a grizz i pose no threat at all. but to a black bear i pose a little bit more of a "threat"....

hope this came out right...
Old 10-28-2008, 11:53 PM

NS,

Some people will use the analogy that an encounter/conflict/attack is as rare as winning the "6/49". Well, there sure seems to be plenty of winners lately.

If you are new to these parts, you should take very seriously the possibility of a bear encounter of some kind eventually if you spend time in the outdoors. The best thing you can do is educate yourself on the subject of human/bear conflict and just learning as much as you can about bears and their behaviour. There are a multitude of resources available to you. Books, government and parks material, etc.

Here is a link that I think can get you started. It is important to read the pdf within this web page. They seem to have things down pat in the Yukon.

http://www.environmentyukon.gov.yk.c...bearsafety.php
Old 10-29-2008, 05:59 AM

Default yup

and another thing is that in the western part of albert where the grizzlies are more abundant they are accustomed to listening for gun shots, they have learnt that when they hear a gun shot they know there is food, typically a black bear will get eatin or chased away from by a grizzly in these circumstances, hence the reason the majority of us are a little concerned about the grizzly.

Dont be fooled though come this time of teh year when the temp drops below zero a bear will do whatever it can to defend a kill or food of any sort, berries or what have you because they are being ready to go to sleep for the winter.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:35 AM

Default the difference

the bottom line is you can take care of a BLACKIE THAT CAUSING you a problem ,if it,s a grizz you better let chew on your leg first.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolait View Post
the bottom line is you can take care of a BLACKIE THAT CAUSING you a problem ,if it,s a grizz you better let chew on your leg first.
It's also important that you learn to recognize the difference. Amazing how many people can't.
Grizz
Old 10-29-2008, 08:50 AM

thanks, kind of makes sense. Does not make sense in that people disregard black bears and focuss on grizz though lol. I've come across a ****ed off black bear and at that second I really didn't even consider it was "just a black bear" lol.. bears are bears imo.

Aren't black bears more aggressive then girzz?

I'm well versed on black bears and what to do/not to do. I am always careful when out in the woods, but I don't own bear spray yet. I will be getting some soon lol...
Old 10-29-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo-Gecko View Post
Is it legal to carry a rifle I much prefer that over bear spray. Always wondered about the legalities.
Interesting. If I'm just out hiking or fishing I'd prefer to carry something lighter and more effective at keeping me alive. We all still argue about it, but the evidence for bearspray effectiveness at keeping you alive is starting to become pretty solid.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:04 AM

In reply to the original question. Black bears evolved in wooded terrain and rely on trees to climb as a way of saving their lives. They are seldom far from a tree and will climb it if they feel seriously threatened.
Grizzlies evolved in open, few trees country. They can climb trees but they are not as adept at this as black bears are. Their claws are shaped straighter for digging and less hooked (better for tree climbing).Thus grizzlies tend to solve their conflicts by running away or fighting to win. So, as a species grizzlies tend to start fighting more readily than most black bears. Both species can readily kill a human, so they all need to be respected!
Carry effective bear spray for both species, even if you have a firearm. Knowing how to minimize conflicts and when to use the spray will reduce the risk of you having to resort to use of the gun (lethal force). This can resolve your conflict with the bear, allow you security in areas where firearms are illegal, save you a mauling, save you court time and assist the continued survival of bears.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Eldon View Post
This can resolve your conflict with the bear, allow you security in areas where firearms are illegal, save you a mauling, save you court time and assist the continued survival of bears.
Never mind the "court time". Take care of yourself first.

Cheers.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:40 PM

When out hunting this past Saturday; on private land I've hunted for 4 years, I had my first pause for concern. We usually head out to our respective spots pre-dawn to await legal light, and that can be a km through the cutlines and hills. We had heard from the rancher and her neighbors that a Grizz sow and her cub had been seen at the creek the previous day. This week I hung out with my partner till after light to begin my hike to my usual preferred haunts. I've little experience with bears so far, and preferred staying on the side of caution till I could at least see reasonably. I also opted to bring out my .338 Win Mag CRF and left the .30-06 Rem 700 that I've previously had a double-feed with back in the truck.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:42 PM

Don't think you'll be killing a grizzly with a stick like that guy did in BC to the black bear a few weeks ago.
Personally , I have no fear of black bears ( most are smaller than me ) and a very healthy respect of grizzlies ( most are bigger than me )
I know blacks have killed people , but they just don't command the same respect as a grizzly in my books.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolait View Post
True that! And it's no joke,....fish cops will pin ya with poaching grizz if you don't have proof (at least a maimed limb lol <not). I guess if one attacks you, ou should let a claw cut your arm open before defending yourself. I believe there should be a exception in the handgun ban for hunters that would allow us to carry a more easily maneuverable side arm for the purpose of self defense against bears and cougars. Obvioiusly not a 9mm or a 45. but maybe 44. mag. or 500. revolvers. Mainly because they're easier to handle in tighter brush, and it would be pretty obvious it's for 4 legged predator defence as not many gangs walk around in the woods with single/double action bear artillery. LOL

Black bear crap has seeds in it and maybe some fur, grizzly crap has "Bear Bells" in it and smells like pepper spray! (for those of you that are a little slow, thats just a joke haha)
Old 10-29-2008, 07:25 PM

As someone who was always a skeptic in regards to bear sprays, and held far more faith in firearms, I must officially admit to being wrong. Yeah, I said it!

I had an experience early this season due to an accidental discharge that only lasted a microsecond. The results of which changed my mind dramaticly. Although I escaped unscathed-ish, my partner got it the worst.

Unless your shot is to kill the bear dead in its tracks (possible, but unlikely), I believe the spray will be more effective. Like everything, as time goes on, products get better, and the sprays are likely no different.

All I can say from personal experience, is that they are 'agony in a can'. I will trust my family with these products from now on.

BTW, the MOST secure I felt in the bush with a grizzly present was when I had a running chainsaw in my hands!

Tree
Old 10-29-2008, 07:35 PM

Tree I agree 100% on the effectiveness of bear spray. Almost lost a whole crew in a 212 one day when the can went off. Luckily the pilot was able to fly the chopper with his head out the window.

As for bears, if I remember right, studies show male black bears are more predatory than grizzlies. But as Eldon pointed out, the way the two species react when surprised is quite different.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:47 PM

It don't hurt to carry a can of bear spray on each hip......

Go ahead bear, make my day!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:40 PM

IMO, grizzlies do not have humans in their sight as a morsel of food. An attack by them is usually getting between the cubs and mother or having some food that the grizzly wants and takes, the consequences are varied.
Black bears on the other hand are a different matter. There are two aspects of a back bear encounter, neither happen together. The first is the blackie encounters you and is last seen hi-assing it for parts unknown. The 2nd aspect is, he ain't hi-assing. This is a danger sign, it means that he is considering you as an entre and just trying to get his nerve up. If the bear is inside 30 yards or meters, my first shot is a warning shot. If he ain't hi-assing after the first shot, the 2nd shot is meant to be a take down shot.
Considering how quickly a bear can cover 30 yards or meters, one does not want to be hesitant about it. Predatory black bears are far more dangerous than grizzlies. And if you're packing a shotgun, then slugs are better than buckshot or SSG. Less chance of hitting someone if you are trying to thwart an attack and I have a preference for Benneke slugs. And lastly, remember at the beginning, I said IMO!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
It don't hurt to carry a can of bear spray on each hip......

Go ahead bear, make my day!
In that case, make sure the cans are magnums. The magnum will give you 12 secs behind the can vs. 9.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post

I know blacks have killed people , but they just don't command the same respect as a grizzly in my books.
I don't know about you, but anything that can kill me out in the woods (and has killed others) commands my respect. I fear blackbears, so take precautions to protect myself.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:39 PM

"Stephan Herrero's" book Bear Attacks is a really good read, albeit his opinion but still very informative and lots of tips on what to do when you encounter black and grizzly bears.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:32 PM

Writing about the Grizzly;
To compare him with his lesser cousin, the black bear, is like standing a case of dynamite beside a sack of goose feathers.
Andy Russell
Old 10-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Banned

Default bears

I would strongly recommend buying, thoroughly reading and acting upon the advice given in THIS book, ahead of ANYTHING else available and I have the others, know many of the authors and have over 52 years of experience in Grizzly country to judge from.

Bear Encounter Survival Guide

James Gary Shelton

Horizon Publications
Box 355
Hagensborg, B.C. V0T1H0
250-982-2936

Again, for SELF-DEFENCE from bears, with the current Canadian laws concerning firearms, etc., this is the BEST material on the market. Gary is retired now and he no longer teaches courses, I am informed, but, one can benefit from this book and it is not pricey.

AVOID most of the "bear books" by the kind of author who spent a few weeks in some American National Park, maybe was a 2-3 week "relief" on one of their fire lookouts and now is a photographer. Such books are full of bullschit and are simply a scam, Gary is also a Yank, but, he came to BC in '65 and LISTENED to the oldtimers who taught him real bushskills in the Bella Coola region....and there are bears there by the bazillions, last time I drove there, we saw about a dozen in roughly two hours.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:11 PM

All bears need respect. A one hundred pound black bear will kill the biggest man.
Yes, bear spray works in some circumstances but avoidance is the key.

A rifle or shotgun is my preference. Ive carried both depending on the location.

At thirty feet, wind means nothing to a bullet.....or buckshot.

Books are fine, but taking advice from those who know on this site will be one of the best educations u can get. Ive been in a few scrapes over the years...."Gitrdun" has been in more i think.

If a grizzly wants you bad enough, i hope u have a firearm. Remember, you still have to get yourself out of the area before u are safe. Spray delays the bear, a firearm can stop him.

Id much rather get investigated by a CO than to get mauled. You will never be the same, and neither will your family.

I wish there were some "hard and fast rules" for this topic. There are some that are more probable than others, but every situation is different. Prevention and Avoidance cannot be stressed enough.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:43 AM
Banned

It would be ludicrous to go in bear country unarmed. I know my wife is more at ease when i take our daughter stream fishing in bear country knowing we are armed and well aware of our surroundings.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo-Gecko View Post
Had a C.O. tell me once that it is legal to carry a gun for personal protection. BUT when you pull the trigger you had make dam sure of what you jsut done. An atopsy of the animal will be done and an investigation will go from there. ie; "found a guy shot a couger in the ***** at 150-200 yds once, what threat did this pose to him, a running cat at that distance, that guy was charged".
He actually reccomended a winchester defender with 3"mag slugs, said thats what they use. and told me if i was creek fishing and seen bear tracks then to be ready.
But i like my ole "tree-oh-tree",
He was an awsome guy!!! would like to run into him again
Old 11-01-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverboy View Post
It would be ludicrous to go in bear country unarmed. I know my wife is more at ease when i take our daughter stream fishing in bear country knowing we are armed and well aware of our surroundings.

My wife thought that was the cutest pic EVER!!!!!!!