Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-28-2014, 09:21 PM

The second shot went through his chest and came out just in in front of the back right leg. Destroying everything in between.

We packed everything up and headed back to camp.

We thought about bailing for the truck that night. Then thought we could have a hot meal for dinner, then hot breakfast and take our time getting out.

So we submerged the hide and meat in the creek to keep the critters away. Now I said there'd be no broke back on this trip... but...

We were soaked and cold by now so there was no drying off outside. We stripped off our gear and had a smallest penis contest... we both lost and we both won...

Jack Daniels brought over some fireball to celebrate.

We bull****ted the night away and passed out.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:22 PM

Wow......
Old 01-28-2014, 09:23 PM

We had decided to put all our eggs in one basket... we'd go down the south side of the waterfall instead of the north.

We woke up at daylight to a cool clear morning. Tranquilizer went over to the creek to get some water. When he came back he said all the meat and skull were gone(the skull was in a game bag with some meat). I thought he was ****tin me... but Tranquilizer can't tell a lie to save his life. I thought eff that and went to take a look.

Sure enough in the creek, only the hide was there. Tranquilizer was wondering how 3 bags of meat could float away. I was wondering the same. He went across the creek and we started scanning the edges to see if something was caught up somewhere.

Things weren't making sense to me. I spotted something white on the far side of the creek. I walked Tranquilizer in to it. It was a game bag. Sure enough a trail of scraps of meat was leading into the thick brush. We followed it for as far as we could until we lost the trail.

A grizzly in thick brush, in the fog on a kill did not sound like a happy place to me. Disappointed we broke camp, loaded the hide and gear into our packs and started our way back down.

It was pretty easy going for the first little while. Then we were into alders on a steep slope, down gullies and creeks. It was some serious monkey business. We just knew we weren't going back up. We came out on a granite slope. We could see the trail at the base of the falls. We knew when we hit that it'd be home free and easy going to the truck.

Tranquilizer just said "where grass grows, we can go"

Good enough for me. We carefully made our way along a 4 inch ledge and down some cracks. Then we ran out of footing. We decided that we'd lower packs down. So off with the packs. Tranquilizer carefully made his way down barely holding onto a crack. He slid a couple feet then got his footing back on a crack. He shuffled over onto a little bit bigger of a ledge behind a little 2 foot drop. He scouted out the edge of a granite. He told me that there was a 20 foot drop off, then a 10 foot drop onto some rocks. We could probably lower ourselves down off the ledge.

So I pulled out some paracord from my pack, tied them up and lowered them to Tranquilizer. Then I started to scurry down the same route Tranquilizer went down. I ended up losing my footing and started to slide. I started to pick up speed. I seen Tranquilizer's hand reach out. I spotted it and grabbed it. I felt him pulling me slightly to my left. I felt him starting to slide and I looked up at him. I seen he was on one foot. So instead of both of us going over... I let go.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:24 PM

I kept sliding, and went over the edge. I spotted my landing. It was some rocks. Went over feet first. When I came down I and started to feel the rocks under my feet, I started to bend my knees. Expecting some rocks following me over, I tucked and rolled off to the side.

All I could hear from up top was "OH ***** OH *****!".

I just yelled back up "I'm allright"

Still laying on the ground, adrenaline pumping I looked up to Tranquilizer looking down at me. I got up, toes wiggled, fingers worked. No tingling sensation anywhere. No massive blood coming out of anywhere, didn't hit my head. Just really scarped up hands and tore my Sitka pants.

Tranquilizer lowered the packs to me, carefully lowered himself down. We geared up again and made our way back to the truck.

I think Tranquilizer grabbing my hand slowed me down enough to spot my landing and swung me over just enough so I didn't go over a bigger ledge.

When we got back to the truck, I just turned to the mountain and said "***** you bitch... can't destroy me!"
Old 01-28-2014, 09:28 PM

OCTOBER 1
well... I'm still not done.

On my home from work today. Had to make a pit stop into my observation post. With a dusting of snow on the ridge I wanted to see what the goats were up to.

Sure enough... right away with the naked eye I spotted some goats the lowest I've seen them since I've been watching the area(juneish). Couple of nannies and kids. They were only about a third of the way up.

Then up top this guy/gal was hanging out all alone. I'm pretty sure it's a billy, but with the rain I couldn't make tits or dicks of it.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:30 PM

OCTOBER 30

Well... It'll be close but I'm moving in the middle of November. So I have 2 weekends left. Checked my spot today. Only spotted 2 goats on a cliff I'm not sure if I can get to. Also spotted 1 way up high in another spot. Should be able to get to him/her... but I'm not sure if it was a nanny or billy, we'll see what happens...

here's a pic of the one goat
Old 01-28-2014, 09:32 PM

NOVEMBER 3
I think mother nature just doesn't want me to get a goat. Checked the weather for the weekend, it looked good on weather network. On my way out on Saturday it was foggy. But I went and continued working on my trail up the hill. Marked my trail up to the 400 meter elevation and ran out of flagging tape. I couldn't see very far, so I figured if I got near goats they'd be gone before I ever seen them. So I headed back down the hill.

As I got back down, I went and checked out another spot I've been kind of keeping my eye on. I spotted one goat still up pretty high and then blasted on home. As soon as I crossed my eastern boundary, it was crystal blue sky.

Today I kind of slept in so I was contemplating on if I should go out or not. But it was a nice blue sky out and I'd hate myself for not going out. So I headed out. I stopped to check the one spot I've been keeping an eye on. Right away I picked out a nanny working her way down the mountain. I watched her until she disappeared. Then I blasted off to my go to spot. Sure as **** it was foggy there. The mountains I guess have been holding it there. So I decided to maybe go back to where I seen the nanny headed down. I thought it'd be a quick jaunt to the base of the mountain. I can see why I didn't go through in the summer. I spotted one goat down lower, I was pretty sure it was a nanny but anyways. I was crashing through the alders and devils club, the low goat disappeared. However I spotted a goat up high. As I was crashing through I stopped to take a look at him and he was looking down at me. I carried on and then I seen the high goat headed up higher. I got to the base and being later in the day I turned around and crashed my way out.

I did find some flagging tape and somewhat of a trail, but it's pretty overgrown with alders now. Wouldn't be hard for someone to clear it out.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:34 PM

NOVEMBER 4
Well it started snowing today. Guess that's why the goats were moving down low. Should be good this weekend.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:36 PM

NOVEMBER 9

Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 PM

NOVEMBER 10
So I geared up for a light hike to check and area I haven't really been in, but have been keeping my eye on. A couple members on here both basically said "go here". One was even kind enough to pin point on a map the exact spot I should look.

So spotting scope, rifle, knife, couple granola bars and a bottle of Gatorade, I was off. I wandered around the base of the mountain a little bit at first. Seen some sign way down low. I took a look at a canyon to the east of me that ran north south. There was timber on the east side of it and the west side. I guess the goats hang out in the timber there. But just to the west of that is some alders and then a big granite face. The granite has some small run off creeks going through it. It also has a huge gorge running east west along the bottom of it. If one was to fall in this gorge, James Franco wouldn't have a movie to star in. Maybe Michelle Joyner would have a part or that raccoon from Ace Ventura.

Anyways... I head up the alders just west of the canyon. The fog was rolling in and out. I was starting to get closer to the snow line and I happened to look to the far west side of the granite slope. I caught something that just didn't look right. I busted out the spotting scope. There was a goat looking over at me. I tried to make out if it was a billy or a nanny, but was too far away to say for sure. But it was do or die weekend for me, so I figured I at least had to get closer. As the fog rolled in again, I packed everything up and made my approach.

I used the fog and creeks for cover while going across the granite. When the fog lifted I got low in a little creek hollow. pulled out my spotting scope to take a look. The goat was in the same spot looking at me head on still. Still too far to say for sure if it was a billy or nanny... but it started to look promising. The fog rolled in again and once again I packed up and started working the creeks. I used the creeks to hopefully cover my sound.

About 15 minutes later the fog lifted again. Again I hunkered down. Peeked over the top and the goat was still there looking at me. Spotting scope up and now I was a little more sure that I could make the shot. Looking at the goat head one, I was sure it was a billy, but not 100%. On top of that I didn't really have a good angle on it. So I waited for the fog to roll in again.

It didn't take long until I had my cover and I was off up the hill again. I was starting to get excited, thinking that this may actually happen. But I stopped myself and started telling myself it was a nanny and not to get excited. The fog lifted all of a sudden. I dropped behind some cover. I looked around but I couldn't see a goat. Then I caught some movement behind some alders. I put the camera on the tripod and grabbed Vanessa (browning x-bolt 325wsm). I had the tripod in my teeth and Vanessa across my back. I need my hands and feet to get up a little higher than the goat. The goat started to move out from behind the alders. I set up the tripod and put the camera on video mode. Then I found a flatter rock I could sort of lean against, as I didn't have my pack or anything for a good rest.

The goat was just now clearing the alders and I was lined up. As it came out it was broadside and I was sure it was a billy.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:42 PM

I lined up and sent a 200 grain accubond down range. The goat hobbled a bit, but was still standing. Lined up and fired again. This time there was a big thud. I seen blood down the side of the goat. The goat took two steps back behind the alders and fell over. I sat there for a few moments and watched it. I scooted back down to the camera. As I hit play, the footage wasn't what I was hoping for. It was a ****ty camera, yes... but went I hit the record button the camera shifted. There's a close up of the muzzle of my rifle and that's it. So I grabbed that and packed up the rest of my gear. By now it was 1 o'clock.

I had to head back down and over to the east side of the granite, then up to the top, across to the west side, down a bit and back up. This took me an hour. But during this time I started to replay what went down in my head. Then doubt of weather it was a billy or not started to creep in. Everything I read about judging goats and all the goats I've watched said it was a billy. Wide bases, gradual curved horns, dirty patch on his ass, big shoulder told me it was a billy. But the horns seemed a little long... maybe the bases weren't as heavy as I though, maybe it was a nanny... but it was alone, so if it is a nanny, I didn't break any laws. I just wanted to get to the goat and make sure.

When I got to the goat, I ended up a little lower than it. But when I looked up I seen blood everywhere in the snow. As I was walking up the blood trail went to my left. Looked over and there was a goat face looking at me. All I could think was "Sully... you son of a bitch". The goat was maybe only 10 yards away through alders. I climbed up a little higher, with my rifle in hand to get a better view. Just as I got a clear line of sight, the goat jumped up. At the same time I got my rifle up and put the last round into it.

As he lay

I finally got to put my hands on my first billy goat gruff. I grabbed his horns. At least twice the size of my penis... so he had to be at least 6". But he wasn't in an ideal spot to work on. I unhooked him from the alders and he went sliding down the hill and shooting through the frozen alders. I was almost behind him, but I was hanging on to the vegetation.

Got back to my feet and climbed down to him. He still wasn't in a great spot, and letting gravity pack him off the mountain seemed a lot better than hiking him down. So I carefully played goat plinko down the hill. Until he ended up out of the snow. Then I had my photo session. This was around 4:00pm.

Only had bit of daylight left and I wasn't set up for an overnighter what so ever. I deboned him as best/quick as I could. Loaded up some meat and started my way down via head lamp. I didn't really want to leave the cape and skull behind... or at least near the rest of the carcass. So I grabbed some string and ran it along the length of the horn and cut it to length. Then I wrapped a piece around the base and cut it to length. I put the two pieces of string in my pocket and left the skull and cape behind.

By now it was pitch black and the fog had moved in. I had to travel five feet at a time. I also knew below me somewhere(and not very far) was a big death gorge. So I slowly picked my way over to some alders. Climbed down those until I ran out. Every step was calculated and made sure It wasn't more than two feet down to my next step. When I ran out of alders, I'd go up the other side until I could cross over to more alders.

At the one point I ran out of alders, there was only another granite face about 10 feet wide. On the other side I could see cedar trees. I held onto the alders and reached out with my leg and found a footing. I got out there, but couldn't reach the cedar branch on the far side. I couldn't reach back to the alders either. I also didn't know what was below me. At this point I was getting pretty tempted to hitting the SOS on my Spot. I could almost reach the cedar branch. So I made a big leap of faith to try and grab the branch. I got a hold of it but couldn't hang on. I ended up slipping off and down I went. I slid maybe 10 feet into vegetation again. Vegetation that ended up being at the bottom of the hill I was trying to get off of. I didn't even try to find the trail out. I just made a straight bee line through the trees back to the road. I ended up coming out 20 yards from the vehicle.

By now it was 10pm. I seen the measuring tape in the cup holder and remembered about the string in my pocket. Put them against the tape... 10 inch length and 5.5 inch base. Obviously not official... but bigger than anything I hoped for.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:44 PM

Right horn:

length - 10 7/8
base - 5 5/8
first qtr - 4 6/8
second qtr - 3 4/8
third qtr - 2 1/8

Left Horn:

Length - 11
base - 5 5/8
first qtr - 4 6/8
second qtr - 3 4/8
third qtr - 2

Difference of 2/8 of an inch. With a green score of 53 4/8

Old 01-28-2014, 10:12 PM

Warn you're on my " I'll listen to this guy tell a story anytime list"
Thanks for taking the time to share. It's a lot of work I know but guys like me wait all year for stories like this one …….goat down congrats!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:21 PM

Very impressive story and photos. Congratulations, you earned it.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:27 PM

No one tells a story like Warren does That is one heck of a goat in some very tough country, hope you can do it again next year.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:34 PM
Banned

One word......

EPIC

Thank you so much for sharing.

Are you done working in Kitamat now?

Jamie
Old 01-28-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonhunter View Post
Warn you're on my " I'll listen to this guy tell a story anytime list"
Thanks for taking the time to share. It's a lot of work I know but guys like me wait all year for stories like this one …….goat down congrats!
X2....

It's only January and this guy has won AO post of the year!

LC
Old 01-28-2014, 10:36 PM

Smile Goats .... a serious addiction.

: Congratulations on a very well told story. I've often read that they are North America's most dangerous game... not terribly difficult to spot, but can be next to impossible to retrieve once shot. Good for you in doing lots of thinking before shouldering your rifle. A great Billy to reward your effort !
Old 01-28-2014, 10:38 PM

King Warren!!!!!
Master story teller extrordanaire!!!!!
Thx for taking the time. Nothing beats the whole story.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrygoat View Post
No one tells a story like Warren does That is one heck of a goat in some very tough country, hope you can do it again next year.
^--- this guy told me everything he knows about hunting goats. This story wouldn't be here without him.

Along with a handful of others.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:42 PM

Anyone else waiting for Warren to do a grizz hunt?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
One word......

EPIC

Thank you so much for sharing.

Are you done working in Kitamat now?

Jamie
No I left that area a day or two before x-mas
Old 01-28-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
anyone else waiting for warren to do a grizz hunt?
i am!!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
^--- this guy told me everything he knows about hunting goats. This story wouldn't be here without him.

Along with a handful of others.
Waiting for you to meet a gerrygrizz now.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:05 PM

Great hunt , great story!
Old 01-28-2014, 11:11 PM

A hard won goat.

I'm also impressed by the QK's shooting, considering this was his second big game hunt. What did QK do practice-wise to learn how to take accurate shots on demand?
Old 01-28-2014, 11:39 PM

Clap Clap Clap, Nod, tip of the hat. Great read. What an adventure. You guys who hunt the mountains are nuts but you get the big reward. Nice Goat.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
A hard won goat.

I'm also impressed by the TRANQUILIZER's shooting, considering this was his second big game hunt. What did QK do practice-wise to learn how to take accurate shots on demand?
Rookie hunter but not a rookie shooter. I also made sure he was calm before I gave him the green light.

On top of that I had him fire with the goat face on with just head, neck and chest available. If he missed, he would have missed completely... and he was shooting a weatherby lol

Last edited by warnniklz; 01-29-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:53 AM

Thanks for the wonderful detail, just a fantastic post.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 01-29-2014, 07:23 AM
Banned

As I said before this just has to be published! Sounds like Jamie is positioning for a goat hunt. What great pics and a beuatiful area!