Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Banned

Default Who Wants to Watch a Deer Being Butchered?

I hate to see guys spending all that money to get a deer butchered when it's so easy to do. I learned by watching a video (pre-youtube days), pausing the tape and following along with what was being done. Since then I've butchered my own deer and moose and have saved a ton of money. A couple of years ago I posted a similar thread and about five AO members showed up to have a look.

I went out this afternoon and I shot a doe that is now hanging in my garage. There are supposed to be a few days of bad weather so I likely won't go back out hunting until Tuesday morning. It shouldn't take longer than an hour if I go slow. I won't wrap everything but I'll show you how it's done.

I don't know if it would be any more worthwhile than what's on youtube but if there's interest I don't mind doing it.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:31 AM

Thumbs up

I was going to ask how many butcher their own?
I just finished wrapping the last of ours
That being said, I'm good...no thanks...but hopefully someone wants to learn
Old 11-02-2013, 01:10 AM

When would you be doing this? I'm planning on sitting in my stand tomorrow but I'm also interested in butchering. I usually make mine into sausage or should I say have it made but I assume it works the same for moose, deer and elk?
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-02-2013, 01:20 AM

id be into learning
Old 11-02-2013, 01:24 AM

Default Butchering

When are you thinking of doing this
Old 11-02-2013, 06:06 AM

I would be interested in seeing how to butcher your doe sir
Thanks for offering to teach
Bob
Old 11-02-2013, 06:55 AM

If I wasn't going out this morning, I would take you up on that offer.

It's a great idea and I think your a stand up guy for offering this to new hunters.

*slow clap*
Old 11-02-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I hate to see guys spending all that money to get a deer butchered when it's so easy to do. I learned by watching a video (pre-youtube days), pausing the tape and following along with what was being done. Since then I've butchered my own deer and moose and have saved a ton of money. A couple of years ago I posted a similar thread and about five AO members showed up to have a look.

I went out this afternoon and I shot a doe that is now hanging in my garage. There are supposed to be a few days of bad weather so I likely won't go back out hunting until Tuesday morning. It shouldn't take longer than an hour if I go slow. I won't wrap everything but I'll show you how it's done.

I don't know if it would be any more worthwhile than what's on youtube but if there's interest I don't mind doing it.

This is what helps make AO a great place.
Kudos
Hope other members realize what gifts you are offering- friendship,knowledge and self sufficiency!!

Old 11-02-2013, 07:12 AM

I was going to find that picture but I was too lazy so I just wrote slow clap instead!
Thanks for stealing my idea! Lmao!
Old 11-02-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
I was going to find that picture but I was too lazy so I just wrote slow clap instead!
Thanks for stealing my idea! Lmao!
You are very welcome!!
Old 11-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Banned

Based on the weather.....SNOW .....Conditions may be ideal for hunting on Monday morning. If there's enough interest I can butcher my deer tomorrow night or wait until next weekend. It'll be too hard for me to plan a night to do it when I'm hunting because if I'm lucky enough I may be hauling a moose out of the bush when everyone shows up at my garage.

So, if there's enough interest.....Tomorrow night or sometime next weekend.

For deer, I cut a couple of roasts from the front of the back legs, steak the back part of the back legs and loins (backstraps), cube any decent sized meat for stew/kabobs, and the rest of the trim can be used for burger/sausage (20 lbs required to get sausage made).
Old 11-02-2013, 01:06 PM

I've butchered all my own deer to date, I take a lot of pride in doing a good job. That being said I don't consider myself an expert so when the time comes I wouldn't mind coming over and learn a thing or two from you Dave. I'm out hunting this weekend so with any luck ill have my own to do as well. Let me know Dave and ill make the short drive to your place. That's one heck of an offer! AJ
Old 11-02-2013, 01:18 PM

I butcher my own deer too. I simply make burger & chops. I had roasts from time to time but my teeth cannot handle steak any more & so I stay away from cutting steaks. Yep I make jerky & pepperoni sticks as well.

True you save the $$$$$ doing it yourself. I used a book & as you said a YouTube video to learn but if you want to make a Alberta video go for it.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Banned

A thought just came to mind. It doesn't necessarily have to be the doe that I have hanging in the garage. If the timing isn't right I can do this a little later on in the season and I wouldn't mind butchering someone else's deer for them. I'm also hoping to have at least a couple more deer hanging as well as a moose this November. Knock on wood.....don't want to jinx myself.

Between myself and anyone else that's interested and hunting, hopefully one of us will have a deer hanging at any given time.