Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-29-2013, 11:36 AM

Default Scrape Hunting & Rattling Questions

Two questions:

1) Has anyone had luck hunting over scrapes? (my cameras always show night time movement)

2) Has anyone successfully used rattling on a mature buck? If so, please give details on time of year, technique, etc.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:55 AM

If you haven't tried rattling for whitetails you're missing out. You'll call in a lot of smaller bucks, but big ones will come in. I usually have great results rattling anytime from November 1 through to the end of November. My best results are around the 17th of November. Most years I will have 20-30 bucks come in to my rattling and grunting sequences and the only treestands that I hunt are overlooking active scrapes. A lot of the bucks that show up are smaller bucks that I don't plan to shoot, so they come in looking for the bucks that are fighting and when they don't find a buck, they will work the scrapes in front of me. Pretty fun times in the treestand once they are repsonding to rattling. The early mornings and later evenings are the best times to call.

Good luck, it works!

-Craig
Old 10-29-2013, 12:26 PM

Ok, Craig Temple, When you rattle how long are your sequences? How long do you break before rattling the same spot? Do you get progressively more aggressive? And lastly how long to you rattle in one spot?

I would assume the more spots you're able to hit in a day the better. How long does it take for the deer to respond when you rattle? Sorry for all the questions

I would love to become a better rattler. I feel like my calling is spot on. I usually call in 20-30 deer a year by calling but have only called in a few rattling. I live in Southern Alberta, but I have heard up north rattling works like a charm.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:38 PM

If i had to pick the best days for me have allways been the 19-23 for big bucks to come in to the rattle i allso use my ready doe
Old 10-29-2013, 01:02 PM

lots of things come in to a rattle, chickadees, ravens, and sometimes these...
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...rattled+cougar

I rattle so my scent is going very close to but not directly at the place im pulling a deer from. asking a deer to come in when the nose isn't the primary tool is difficult, but not impossible.

my wife and I cow call and grunt while walking vigorously through the trees not worrying about snapping branches or twigs..it simulates a hot doe being pursued and works like a charm especially in dryer, snowless years. when you find a good vantage point set up a rattle sequence as if to mimic another buck has joined the chase. Had five bucks show up at same time to what the commotion. mostly 140-150 class but no shooters.
ive also shot a wolf that was coming in for freebie.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 10-30-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_temple View Post
If you haven't tried rattling for whitetails you're missing out. You'll call in a lot of smaller bucks, but big ones will come in. I usually have great results rattling anytime from November 1 through to the end of November. My best results are around the 17th of November. Most years I will have 20-30 bucks come in to my rattling and grunting sequences and the only treestands that I hunt are overlooking active scrapes. A lot of the bucks that show up are smaller bucks that I don't plan to shoot, so they come in looking for the bucks that are fighting and when they don't find a buck, they will work the scrapes in front of me. Pretty fun times in the treestand once they are repsonding to rattling. The early mornings and later evenings are the best times to call.

Good luck, it works!

-Craig
Are you rattling over scrapes that are deep in the woods? I find many of my scrapes are visited at night that are the biggest ones along an old ATV trail trhough the woods. The scrapes in the woods are sparse and small.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Hunt near scrapes just keep in mind the wind. This time of year is productive if you rub trees, grunt, doe bleats, make noise to mimic deer. A few minutes at it then get ready but always keep your head up because not all deer come in the same way. Some very fast, grunting and some cautious. I change it up regarding length of time rattling etc just go with a feel. Believe it or not I shot a beauty one year when I placed one of my rattling antlers on the ground and while setting up the other fell on it, all heck broke loose and a 150 class deer ran in. More importantly just find the sign, hunt smart and have fun.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:55 AM

Some of the bigger deer I have seen have been rattled in high 170s I have also rattled in several 140 5x5's and smaller bucks.
Its a great way for a first time hunter to be successful on a first deer hunt usually shots are under 100 yards.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:30 PM

Default More noise the better

This only works for me usually the last 3 weeks in Nov.

Once I get to my spot, sit, glass around to see if anything is watching me....

I get settled, then three short grunts, then I use the 'ol rattle bag, light at first, wait 7 or 8 min, then again...wait another 7 or 8 min....then the third time go full out, smash the hell out of it, blow out a few grunts at the same time.
I stomp my feet as hard as I can and I also have a stick next to me that I use to thrash the bushes and thump the ground........then finish with three short grunts, all lasts about 5 min or so ....it really is quite an ordeal....some of my buddies have made fun of me, kinda look like a one man band..haha, but.....20 min later, they have all shot bucks!

I can't wait for Firday!

jt
Old 10-30-2013, 10:49 PM

Yes............................johnny is amazing!!!!
Old 10-30-2013, 11:25 PM

keeper "how to" thread.

Be nice if others could add their own rattling/calling sequences.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:34 PM

Smile Calling and rattling

Ha. i will have to put on a "Johnnyfly production" next time I'm out.

Never really called many deer in . Once maybe .... He didn't seem excited but came out about 15 min after I stopped so I say it counts.

My buddies make fun of me calling moose as it too is quite an ordeal sometimes but when the bull comes in my buddies zip it pretty quick
Old 10-31-2013, 01:43 PM

Default My Experience w Rattling

During the early or full rut is a must. The bucks are itching to get involved

First, try and use the wind & terrain to your advantage. You don't want them approaching you from downwind if you can help it so I try to get my back towards an open area and focus on the 270 degrees around me.

After getting settled in start with a grunt & light ticking of the antlers. Wait ~ 15 to 20 min. If you hear nothing give it a bit more ummp and with some grunts and thrashing thrown in. Wait ~ 20 to 30 minutes. Go at it again and even a bit louder. I usually do about a 30 second sequence of commotion than look and listen.

If you hear anything like a stick break in the far distance sit tight. Once they lock in on the sound you do not want to make an more noise or movement. Their curiousity and urge to breed may get the best of them. If no luck... move to spot B and continue.

Last weekend I got a buck during midday after my second sequence. I was done in 20 minutes! If there is a buck within hearing distance you'll get his attention. He may or may not decide to get involved. Sometimes it's a crap shoot but definitely worth your time.

JMHO
Old 10-31-2013, 02:20 PM
Banned

Think of what 2 deer would sound like. There's bawling, huffing, stomping, grunting and on top of it antlers. When I rattle I do my best to mimic mature bucks in a all out brawl for a hot doe. I fake a chase on the way in to the stand. Pound my feet and doe bleat with a pile of tending grunts.

A little secret if you wear Dunlop boots... When the back of your boot hits your calve it sounds identicle to a deers hoofs hitting hard ground. I've had numorus deer come check me out while I was hoofing it down a trail.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
Think of what 2 deer would sound like. There's bawling, huffing, stomping, grunting and on top of it antlers. When I rattle I do my best to mimic mature bucks in a all out brawl for a hot doe. I fake a chase on the way in to the stand. Pound my feet and doe bleat with a pile of tending grunts.

A little secret if you wear Dunlop boots... When the back of your boot hits your calve it sounds identicle to a deers hoofs hitting hard ground. I've had numorus deer come check me out while I was hoofing it down a trail.
Haha that's awesome I'll have to try the run to the stand instead of the quiet walk. One point of advice someone gave me was call down a trail and move downwind 60 yards, that way when your sound is pin pointed and they come out to investigate your a ways away and don't get busted. You can also tye a set of antlers to a tree and run a rope to your stand to tug on. (Keeping distance)
Old 11-01-2013, 08:38 AM

It sounds like a lot of you guys are hunting from the ground. Are there good ways to prevent them from circling downwind if you are in a treestand bowhunting? (One person has suggested backing onto a clearing/field so they don't get around you)
Old 11-01-2013, 11:01 AM

Default Tree stands

Sometimes you can put your tree stand on the edge of a field and force them out into the field to stay downwind of your stand, they don't like that so they will then come in upwind. It's not easy to make an animal that lives by its nose abandon the practive. Hunting crosswind often works better than trying to work into the wind. I've used commercial scents a bit to catch their attention as they come in, I don't really believe I those things but as a way of confusing them a bit it does seem to work.

Also from a treestand your scent is dissipated a bit and if you're truly anal about scent reduction you can get away with a bit more. Remember when you set up the stand to not walk where you think the deer will approach from, keep your scent away from those areas. Ive seen all sorts of animals shy away from my walking trail.