Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-25-2013, 06:04 PM

Smile Pheasant Hunting etiquette

I (the dogs) have found in the last 2 days, 3 cripples and 3 recently deceased roosters. Are more people hunting without a dog or untrained dogs? Are there more new hunters who don't realize that they have hit a bird?

If you don't have a dog, and you shoot at a rooster, if it stiffens up in the air you may have hit the bird. The best practice IMO is to follow the bird and hunt it out until it is in the bag.

If you have a dog, please train the animal before you bring it to the release site, yesterday I met 2 very nice setters, who were both wired up like a 1950's T.V. the owner had no control over either dog, I saw the little female flush 5 wild and my wife says there were 7. Either way, it is not good for the dog or the rest of us.

I assume the male was named Jack because the owner was wandering around calling Jack, Jack, at the time he was hunting on his own near me.

I never saw the owner but the dogs looked like with some work would be good hunting companions.

I hope things get better. The 410 is still bagging them.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:24 PM

Definitely hunting with a dog will lessen the possibility of losing birds. As far as having a polished dog in the field. Some days even a good dog will have you pulling out your hair. But in my opinion. training a dog is one thing, but the best trainer for any gun dog is to get the dog out on birds. Preferably wild birds. They are the best teachers and overtime will make a dog into a good bird dog. The owner can use the time in the field to reinforce the good habits that they see.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:32 PM

If the legs drop , of course, you have a body hit bird, now I realize most of us already know this, but many new hunters might not!
One of the things we watch for as far as hunting etiquette goes is we try not to cut off another party if we meet them, in fact we steer right cleat of them.
The guys I hunt with always ask a dogless hunter if he wishes to join us as well, most decline, but the odd one agrees- anything to help them out.

Of course, hunting wild birds I don't remember running into another group of hunters or even a loan hunter unless it was ruffed grouse.

Cat
Old 10-25-2013, 08:33 PM
Banned

while it sucks to know that birds are lost, it is part of the game. id hate to suggest that guys without dogs shouldnt be hunting. i know i did it lots when i was young and my life didnt have a dog in it. i did always count lost birds in my limit...and although they are rare these days, i still do it the same.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:33 AM

Default Dogs an birds

I agree, dakota caught a few cripples from the previous hunts (taber pheasant fest). Buddy shot a bird, thing folded up in the air, hit the ground, was GONE!! Dakota took off over the hill and left me wondering wtf, where is she going!!! few whistles and a couple button pushes to get her back. Turns out she was the only one out of 4 guys and 2 dogs who seen the rooster run across open ground and up the hill!!! Took her a few min to come back but she had the rooster in her mouth!!! We also had 3 roosters out in the cattails and knee deep and deeper water. Dog got those ones too. IMO its almost wreckless to hunt roosters with a shotty and no dog. Iv often wondered how many birds dogless hunters lose. What percentage of birds are killed dead mid air, and stay where they land as to cripples who run and hide???

Thanks to Dakota for doing a HECK of a job to btw!!
Old 10-26-2013, 10:50 AM

Release site pheasant hunting.....I tried it once.....once.
You guys have way more patience than I. I tried the Buffalo Lake thing about 8 years ago with my Lab. You can have your pheasant hunting LOL. It is kind of like Cadomin on August 25th, but with more dogs and colorful language.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
. IMO its almost wreckless to hunt roosters with a shotty and no dog.
again...i will stop WELL short of saying that dogless guys shouldnt be out there. its more pleasurable for sure, and way less birds are lost for sure.....but i refuse to look down my snout at those hunters that enjoy trying to get em with no dog. i do hope that any lost birds are counted in limits though....not that im saying its cool to leave them out there.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:14 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
again...i will stop WELL short of saying that dogless guys shouldnt be out there. its more pleasurable for sure, and way less birds are lost for sure.....but i refuse to look down my snout at those hunters that enjoy trying to get em with no dog. i do hope that any lost birds are counted in limits though....not that im saying its cool to leave them out there.
Im not looking down on, im actually pretty good friends with a dogless bird hunter.

But how many of those guys do you actually think count a lost bird as a tick on the bag limit??? Honestly?
Old 10-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Im not looking down on, im actually pretty good friends with a dogless bird hunter.

But how many of those guys do you actually think count a lost bird as a tick on the bag limit??? Honestly?
i guarantee that some dont. the law isnt clear that you have to and i kinda wish it was....although i know its not enforcable. all you can do is try your best to locate every cripple you can. i dont mean a quick glance either, but a legit search. soemtimes it just happens....and guys WITH dogs arent immune either. its part of it whether we want to admit it or not. for the record, our crew has lost 2 birds this year with dogs. one partridge and one pheasant. they were counted.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
i guarantee that some dont. the law isnt clear that you have to and i kinda wish it was....although i know its not enforcable. all you can do is try your best to locate every cripple you can. i dont mean a quick glance either, but a legit search. soemtimes it just happens....and guys WITH dogs arent immune either. its part of it whether we want to admit it or not. for the record, our crew has lost 2 birds this year with dogs. one partridge and one pheasant. they were counted.
On that, partridge opening day, Dakota and I lost 2, I went home with a full limit of 3.

Glad to see you are one of the "good ones" lol
Old 10-26-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
On that, partridge opening day, Dakota and I lost 2, I went home with a full limit of 3.

Glad to see you are one of the "good ones" lol
So at least one person seems to think it is "bordering on reckless" if I'm out looking for pheasants without a dog. I was out last week and there were two guys out with single dogs (not working together) in one of the release sites - both of which were running probably 100-150 yards away from the hunters and seemed to be flushing, not pointing. How is this any less a "breech of etiquette" than me hunting without a dog. Just because someone happens to run a dog or two, please dispense with the holier-than- thou attitude that I am bordering on reckless because I don't happen to have a dog. There are many more factors in the mix other than dogs or no dogs.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog15 View Post
So at least one person seems to think it is "bordering on reckless" if I'm out looking for pheasants without a dog. I was out last week and there were two guys out with single dogs (not working together) in one of the release sites - both of which were running probably 100-150 yards away from the hunters and seemed to be flushing, not pointing. How is this any less a "breech of etiquette" than me hunting without a dog. Just because someone happens to run a dog or two, please dispense with the holier-than- thou attitude that I am bordering on reckless because I don't happen to have a dog. There are many more factors in the mix other than dogs or no dogs.
I am in means being "holier then thou" There are a ton of factors dont get me wrong. But when it comes down to the actual harvest vs numbers shot and lost, I can bet and will bet non dog hunters lose more.

I hunted all my life up untill 2011 with no dog. Granted I was hunting grouse with a .22 doing head shots. With that said, for more then 70% (just a rough number so dont dig into it to far)of birds shot over a dog. If I didnt have a dog those birds would not have been found or retrieved.

Ill ask you some questions, you can answer publicly or PM or not at all. How many legal birds do you flush, how many do you shoot, of those shot how many do you retrieve, do you count lost birds as a bagged bird?

Myself coming from bird hunting without a dog, to hunting with one iv been on both sides. From what iv seen afield people without dogs will have and will always have way more birds lost then hunters with dogs. Just a personal view and opinion. If you want to correct me feel free though
Old 10-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am in means being "holier then thou" There are a ton of factors dont get me wrong. But when it comes down to the actual harvest vs numbers shot and lost, I can bet and will bet non dog hunters lose more.
you might not mean to come across that way winger, but when you call guys reckless, thats how it sounds.

nobody is arguing that guys with dogs see more birds and find more downed birds. thats a fact that no one is contesting.....

but i do have to wonder....did you consider yourslef reckless a few years back when you had no dog?

try to remember that some people rent a home and cant have dogs....others work to many hours and away from home meaning they cant have a dog. there are plenty of solid reasons why a hunter cant have a dog....but i cant think of any reasons to call him reckless or suggest he shouldnt hunt.....
Old 10-26-2013, 05:31 PM

Shooting pheasants has its challenges, I believe all who take the time to go in the field want to come back with something. Trying to make every effort is key. No difference from duck hunting, my dogs pick up allot of ducks that I haven't shot.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Shooting pheasants has its challenges, I believe all who take the time to go in the field want to come back with something. every effort made is key. No difference from duck hunting, my dogs pick up allot of ducks that I haven't shot.
As dale said, lots of guys would love to have a dog, circumstances dictate different. Shot over dogs for years, my lifestyle now does not include one, to tell you the truth , it has taken the wind out of the sails in general for bird hunting, so I guess I won't be " reckless".....
Old 10-26-2013, 06:32 PM

think you missed my point Hal, totally fine to hunt birds without a dog, all the power to those, still a ton of fun. Just make every effort to retrieve. For the most part, people want to come home with their birds.

This just doesn't happen shooting pheasants, you see it migratory fowl hunting all the time. Many of these birds fly a long long ways, and if you had a dog or not, your not finding that bird..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
As dale said, lots of guys would love to have a dog, circumstances dictate different. Shot over dogs for years, my lifestyle now does not include one, to tell you the truth , it has taken the wind out of the sails in general for bird hunting, so I guess I won't be " reckless".....
Old 10-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
think you missed my point Hal, totally fine to hunt birds without a dog, all the power to those, still a ton of fun. Just make every effort to retrieve, no biggie.

This just doesn't happen shooting pheasants, you see it migratory fowl hunting all the time. Many of these birds fly a long long ways, and if you had a dog or not, your not finding that bird..........
wasn't saying anything like that, had to put my dog down a few years ago, and the situation didn't include a new pup, since then, no real desire to chase birds, still spot for them every day...maybe next year ...shouldn't have made the reckless comment, sorry
Old 10-26-2013, 06:51 PM

Sorry to hear that Hal. it sux, think my last couple dogs I put down, I lost all interest in birding, took up archery, but couple years later the yearning was back and never looked back. Hope you get that urge again

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
wasn't saying anything like that, had to put my dog down a few years ago, and the situation didn't include a new pup, since then, no real desire to chase birds, still spot for them every day...maybe next year ...shouldn't have made the reckless comment, sorry
Old 10-26-2013, 07:17 PM

Smile Didn't mean to start this

Yesterday when I arrived at a site I met a fellow who had a bird and I asked to see his dog. I was told he didn't have a dog, the man was well past 50 years and was soaked with sweat from his waist to his nipple line.

I asked him if he wanted to come with me and the 3 dogs, I told him he could do all the shooting and I'ld handle the dogs. The only other request was to help me up if I fell in a hole.

The dogs pointed 2 and we got one. The other 2 came from 2 very long tracks of cripples.

Maybe the fellows who don't have dogs could hunt with those of us who do. I could use a few new friends.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
you might not mean to come across that way winger, but when you call guys reckless, thats how it sounds.

nobody is arguing that guys with dogs see more birds and find more downed birds. thats a fact that no one is contesting.....

but i do have to wonder....did you consider yourslef reckless a few years back when you had no dog?

try to remember that some people rent a home and cant have dogs....others work to many hours and away from home meaning they cant have a dog. there are plenty of solid reasons why a hunter cant have a dog....but i cant think of any reasons to call him reckless or suggest he shouldnt hunt.....
It wasnt ment as a holier then thou comment, for those who took it that way I am sorry.

When i shot my birds without a dog, the only way I lost them if they flew before I was able to get a head shot made. With a head shot they dont go anywhere, ruffed grouse make alot of commotion aswell when head shot. Easy to find when you can still see them after the shot was made.

And ill admit that maybe the wreckless comment was a little harsh towards those who hunt without a dog. But we all know where opinions can go and where they usually go on AO lol. I was just placing an opinion to what the OP was saying about wounded birds.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:28 PM

I hunted a lot of years with no dog, we always hunted with a minimum of three guys pushing bush and blocking. We didn't lose many birds at all, we always shot till the bird was on the ground and rushed over to it with one person designated to watch the place it went down. We were young and in shape and hunted crap others wouldn't, we did very well.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
It wasnt ment as a holier then thou comment, for those who took it that way I am sorry.
for those that have been around long enough to recognize your post history....i/we know you didnt mean to sound that way on purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I hunted a lot of years with no dog, we always hunted with a minimum of three guys pushing bush and blocking. We didn't lose many birds at all, we always shot till the bird was on the ground and rushed over to it with one person designated to watch the place it went down. We were young and in shape and hunted crap others wouldn't, we did very well.
man i miss those days. the being in shape part....not the no dog....
Old 10-26-2013, 10:23 PM

I very much enjoy hunting pheasants, and anything other game bird. Don't have a dog a don't want a dog. Was at the festival yesterday and today and our party of 3 got our limits both days without a dog. It would be nice to have one and I do enjoy hunting with friends with dogs but i think I get much more exercise with out a dog. I have had 3 dogs in my life so far and just enjoy my life with out them. I do lose birds and maybe a dog would improve on that. I have seen many people bring dogs out that are pretty much useless in the field and the owner would have increased his bag limit by leaving the family pet at home. A crappy dog is like hunting with a scope that is not sighted in.
I sure did enjoy seeing the dogs in the Hertage inn in Taber though, lots of beautiful dogs there!
Old 10-26-2013, 10:25 PM

A crappy dog is like hunting with a scope that is not sighted in.

But hunting with a good dog is like dancing with the princess of the ball.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-26-2013, 10:32 PM

I don't have a hunting dog myself at this time, but I do enjoy the pleasure of hunting with a friend who has two very well trained GWPs. There is absolutely no doubt that those dogs both increase the number of birds that we see, and greatly decrease the odds of us losing any birds. Well trained dogs are a pleasure to hunt over, but dogs that are poorly trained, and run around flushing birds well out of range, can quickly ruin a hunt, for other people, as well as their owner. I don't own a hunting dog because my current lifestyle does not allow me the time to properly train or exercise a high energy hunting dog, but as soon as I retire, which is less than two years away, I will have my own hunting dog, possibly two of them.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:32 PM

Default Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by britman101 View Post
Definitely hunting with a dog will lessen the possibility of losing birds. As far as having a polished dog in the field. Some days even a good dog will have you pulling out your hair. But in my opinion. training a dog is one thing, but the best trainer for any gun dog is to get the dog out on birds. Preferably wild birds. They are the best teachers and overtime will make a dog into a good bird dog. The owner can use the time in the field to reinforce the good habits that they see.
I do believe you do have to get a dog out on birds to help him hone is talent, I have just started hunting, also o has my GSP, which has had a lot of training with pigeons, now he is getting out in the field and nailing the point and he has never lot a bird, today we shot one that was quite away in the water through tuff bush first, but he pushed is way through the bush an into the water and he show up back with the bird. And I believe hat to be true or the hunter also, of course it would be great if all new hunter could be mentored by guys that have the experience, but lots of guys just think of there self, not promoting the sport we all love to new hunter young and old
Old 10-27-2013, 06:02 PM

Smile Took my own advice

SIL showed up with grand daughter this am and it was the toughest day I have ever hunted. He was using a 12 ga. with #5 steel. The first one was at 15 feet and #2 was about the same. I lent him my 20 ga. during the day and the one the dog had to chase about 1/2 a mile before it went up wasn't shot at, he couldn't get the safety at.

He wants a dog. Her majesty isn't even in heat and I've sold a dog!

Hardest sale in my life, and for a free dog. Wow some of these young fellows are hard core, but we need new hunters.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:22 AM

Talking Pheasnt hunting w/wo dogs.

I hunt without dogs & do quite well ! I use a 12 gauge pump & #6 or #4 shells & have not lost or wounded any pheasants. I usually take 3-4 gallons of water for those who might need some for their dogs. I have a few friends that i've met but they're not always out there when i am & we don't live in the same city. The only time i got skunked was the day it was really cold & windy but nobody did any good that day ! There are all kinds of hunters & yes even ones that drive along the road hoping to scare a pheasant up. Anyways i went to help out with the youth pheasant group & the young hunters did quite well . The dogs were just like kids & it was a lot of fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the boys & their birds.jpg (127.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg just flying.jpg (57.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg ROXY & BIRDS.jpg (144.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg another bird down.jpg (37.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg One bird down!.jpg (43.6 KB, 58 views)
Old 10-30-2013, 07:59 AM

Smile Great pics

Good dog work on that cripple and a very nice shot from the young fellow. Keep up the good work.

My pictures all kind of look the same, the dogs and birds on the tail gate of the truck. I'll try to do better to-day.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:09 PM

Nov 1st. that's when the real pheasant hunting starts and everyone else goes deer hunting.