Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: What would spring bear-baiters like to see for season dates which now close on May 31?
Move the hunting season from April 15 to June 15 51 30.00%
Leave the hunting season start on April 1 but extend the close to June 15 73 42.94%
leave the start and end dates as they are. 46 27.06%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2013, 03:21 PM

Default Spring bear season change

Hello all,
I'm already thinking about the next baiting season and have been wondering what others think of the season dates.

Over the last several springs we've found that being able to bait as early as the middle of March is useless as there is still 3 feet of snow in the bush. We've also found that most of the mature boars don't seem to show up until the last few days of the season and the week after it closes. I am refering to the zones that close on May 31.

My partners and I would like to see these zones coincide with the northern zones which stay open till June 15.

I was going to write an email to the appropriate people but was just curious as to what others thought.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:45 PM

I would love to see the season open till june 15 big boars start to move just as the season closes were i hunt there was still snow in the low creeks till 3rd week in may its time for a change
Old 10-20-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator View Post
I would love to see the season open till june 15 big boars start to move just as the season closes were i hunt there was still snow in the low creeks till 3rd week in may its time for a change
This is what I've experienced since I've started.

For those that have voted to leave everything as is, what is your main reason?

Thanks to everyone that has voted so far! I'm surprised by the percentages.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:54 AM

There is a lot to be said for leaving some good breeding stock.Perhaps this was the reason for the may 31 closing date.Not sure though.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:37 PM

I've thought about that angle but by the same token then, deer season should close on the 15th of November instead of the 30th.

I thought it might be due to hide conditions but the bigger bears we've gotten pictures of after the season don't appear to be rubbed at all.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I've thought about that angle but by the same token then, deer season should close on the 15th of November instead of the 30th.

I thought it might be due to hide conditions but the bigger bears we've gotten pictures of after the season don't appear to be rubbed at all.
I always thought the reason was due to the general public useing these areas in June?
Same thought process as not being able to hunt on portions of the Bow river till later. (Birds)

Jamie
Old 10-22-2013, 08:05 PM

Pelts can get iffy by the end of the season, as is. Let's leave it.

Grizz
Old 10-22-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I always thought the reason was due to the general public useing these areas in June?
Same thought process as not being able to hunt on portions of the Bow river till later. (Birds)

Jamie
I didn't really think about that side of it. That's a good point.

On the flip-side of that though, I remember reading a stat a few years ago that said the May long weekend is the busiest 3 days in Alberta for recreational use of crown land.
Bear season continues past that.

I'll be putting in a call to F&W tomorrow to see if anyone there can clarify things.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:02 PM

Just thought I'd give this a bump since this year appears to be probably the latest start for bears in over a decade.

I did speak with a biologist out of Bonnyville and she told me the season was the way it was to catch the 2 weeks that the rut usually occurs, but end before pelts are sub-prime.
I informed her of our experience and she said that if enough people voiced the same concerns that she would start a study to see if the concerns were valid.
That's where that ended. Going to give her a call again soon. Hopefully she's still there.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
agree .. and also see a few threads and posts on the lack of bear this year .. extending the season doesn't help ...

Last edited by Rio56; 05-16-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:

Grizz
I agree
Old 05-16-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
There is a lot to be said for leaving some good breeding stock.Perhaps this was the reason for the may 31 closing date.Not sure though.
Hides, the main reason most of us hunt bears, can get pretty sketchy late in the season.

Grizz
Old 05-16-2017, 08:23 PM

I see a 10 year study in the works with no changes as a result.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post

you lost me there with your deer closing on the 15th comment.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:37 PM

Extend the season, more bears gone the better IMO. Not a bear fan. Ever. They terrorize my yard well into June.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:47 PM
Banned

The may 15th closing date for 404/406/408 is lame. Get that to match the rest of the province first.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:50 PM

If it were up to me bear would be open year round. Sure would save a lot of calf moose.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:57 PM

The comment above about not being intrusive into the rut is probably the most reasonable explanation. The reason being that at the helm of setting hunting dates and perimeters are the biologists and wildlife management.

Keeping the gene pool strong and sturdy is most likely the reason for these existing dates.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:23 PM

I don't see the point of closing earlier, in other zones. They are not very prone to over hunting. Although in some ranching areas they are shot on sight, no matter the date. So the net effect is zero regardless.

As for the hides being rubbed, it is up to the hunter ultimately if he or she wants the bear. Some people could care less, and give the hide away anyway.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 05-16-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olthreelegs View Post
you lost me there with your deer closing on the 15th comment.
Really?
I already stated the reason one biologist gave me. Had nothing to do with the rut. But I'll explain my comment...
Someone made the comment that maybe it closes end of May to protect the breeding stock... my point was that If biologists didn't want hunters harassing game during the rut when they are most vulnerable, then why are deer, elk, and moose hunters allowed to hunt during the rut? ie, why wouldn't they close deer in the middle of November before the rut starts?
Hopefully that clears that up.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Hides, the main reason most of us hunt bears, can get pretty sketchy late in the season.

Grizz
While I would love to agree with you, my personal experience tells me this statement is only partially true.

What I've seen is that if a bear is going to rub bad, he's already done so before the end of May. If they're not rubbed bad by then they're not going to.

I have thousands of pictures of young bears completely bald down the sides at the beginning of May, but not one of a big, mature boar with a single bald spot in any month of the year.
Depends what you're after I guess.
If someone doesn't want a bald bear don't shoot one. Simple as that. They're not all rubbed.
No different then being selective with any other animal.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:38 PM

CB

This may answer some more of your questions.

Alberta Black Bear Management Plan - 2016

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/3274...ar-Jan2016.pdf

From reading this, I don't see why changing the hunting season dates wouldn't be acceptable due to a biological issue. The report doesn't mention anything of such a concern. B Bears are typically under harvested. Resident harvest could double before meeting allocation thresholds based on current population estimates.

Hunting season dates are what they are just because, except for the Kananaskis early closure due to "conflict" prevention. There is no biological concern for extending the hunting season to year round as long as the harvest remains within management goals.

Reducing hunter harvest if required would be achieved by reducing the use of the supplemental tags and shortening seasons.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-16-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
CB

This may answer some more of your questions.

Alberta Black Bear Management Plan - 2016

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/3274...ar-Jan2016.pdf

From reading this, I don't see why changing the hunting season dates wouldn't be acceptable due to a biological issue. The report doesn't mention anything of such a concern. B Bears are typically under harvested. Resident harvest could double before meeting allocation thresholds based on current population estimates.

Hunting season dates are what they are just because, except for the Kananaskis early closure due to "conflict" prevention. There is no biological concern for extending the hunting season to year round as long as the harvest remains within management goals.

Reducing hunter harvest if required would be achieved by reducing the use of the supplemental tags and shortening seasons.
Thanks WB,

That basically sums up what the biologist said.
What she wanted to know is if missing part of the rut was a common theme across the May 31st zones or just where I was hunting.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:52 AM

Never seen a good hide on a bear past may.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I've seen several. Here's one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000424-2.jpg (104.2 KB, 52 views)
Old 05-17-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Check out the rump on this guy. May 1st
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MDGC0089-1.jpg (183.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 05-17-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
B Bears are typically under harvested.
I have heard the same as well.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Grizz
As more hunters use the meat, the less important the hides become.

I would rather hunt bears in the summer when they are prime for eating.

The government advocates consuming bears as part of maintaining the legitimacy of the hunt in reference to those opposed to hunting. The gov. should let hunters harvest our food when it at it's best.

I feel the same way about ungulates. They are better eating in the summer than late fall or winter. With simple management protocols, there is no biological reason to not allow hunting of this food source when the meat is the best for consumption.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-17-2017, 04:34 PM

Female ungulates cant be hunted in the summer or all the calves/fawns would be dead. I think there would be a lot of spoiled meat if hunting was allowed in the summer.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Female ungulates cant be hunted in the summer or all the calves/fawns would be dead. I think there would be a lot of spoiled meat if hunting was allowed in the summer.
That's why bucks grow antlers.

I have eletricity....