Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-05-2017, 09:24 PM

Default Sheep hunting

This year I am going to start scouting areas to hunt big horn sheep. I want to become familiar with areas they might like and ranges they call home. I want to do this for a couple reasons. First I just like spending time outdoors. Second I hope that by doing so it will make it easier in future years when I could possibly get drawn.

I've heard people say invest in good boots, good glass, a cushion to sit on and to have patience. I am wondering if there is any seasoned sheep hunters who might have some sound advice for a young hunter that would help in the scouting process!!

It's a big undertaking but I can't wait to get out there!!
Old 05-05-2017, 09:32 PM

Get in the best shape you can, then even better ! Spend more time glassing than walking, let your glass do your walking. Study park sheep if you can to learn how to judge them. It can be darn tough to field judge sheep from all angles.
Others will add, but hope this helps
Old 05-06-2017, 06:12 AM

You will learn more from getting out and looking for yourself then asking keyboard warriors on here. Hike ,sit,glass, repeat. Get some good clothing to make it as comfortable as possible.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyeMG View Post
. Second I hope that by doing so it will make it easier in future years when I could possibly get drawn.
You don't need a draw, buy a general sheep tag, and go hunt this fall.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
You will learn more from getting out and looking for yourself then asking keyboard warriors on here. Hike ,sit,glass, repeat. Get some good clothing to make it as comfortable as possible.
^^^^ listen to this. Commit to what you are doing if you want to see results, most successful sheep hunters I know are the most dedictated. Buy an over the counter tag and start putting on the miles, 1 hour of glassing for every hour you hike
Old 05-07-2017, 10:17 AM

Sent you a pm
Old 05-08-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .300ultramag View Post
^^^^ listen to this. Commit to what you are doing if you want to see results, most successful sheep hunters I know are the most dedictated. Buy an over the counter tag and start putting on the miles, 1 hour of glassing for every hour you hike

I like that. 1 hour of glassing for every hour hiked. Sounds like a great way to really understand the environment I'm going to find myself in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2017, 04:48 PM
Banned

Get into sheep country , find a good vantage point and glass,glass ,glass and when your tired of glassing then glass some more.
If you can't find them you can't shoot them.
Good luck
Old 05-13-2017, 06:58 PM

I'm in the same boat as ToyeMG as I'm looking to get out into the mountains to try my first sheep hunt this year.

What areas of the mountains do they typically bed, travel, eat, etc. on?
Old 05-15-2017, 07:37 PM

I'm new to hunting and I want a sheep as well. 412 sounds like you can get one general trophy sheep tag and it's in the mountains. I'll be going hiking when it warms up and wait for them to come down lower to feed on fresh grass. Then I think the idea is to follow them. Just be careful, 4/5 of a curl is not easy to judge 400 or 500 yards away.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringer View Post
Get into sheep country , find a good vantage point and glass,glass ,glass and when your tired of glassing then glass some more.
If you can't find them you can't shoot them.
Good luck

X2. I wasted time getting to know a lot of places a little but never got lucky. Now I concentrate on knowing one place really well.

Glass and glass and do your hiking in the dark.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:45 PM

My buddies in the CNP have forgotten more about sheep hunting than I've ever learned. That said, I have learned a couple things from being on successful sheep hunts...

I thought I was in good shape, I wasn't.
I thought I knew how to "rough it" camp. I don't.
I thought I could easily tell you if the sheep was a full curl or 4/5 from 300-1000yards away, I couldn't.
I thought I'm a pretty patient person, I'm not.
I thought I was a pretty good shot. Now you add 1000-3000ft in elevation and steep angles and an accelerated heart rate, I'm not.

These are a few things I continue to learn. Without question, it's the hardest thing I've ever done. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
My buddies in the CNP have forgotten more about sheep hunting than I've ever learned. That said, I have learned a couple things from being on successful sheep hunts...

I thought I was in good shape, I wasn't.
I thought I knew how to "rough it" camp. I don't.
I thought I could easily tell you if the sheep was a full curl or 4/5 from 300-1000yards away, I couldn't.
I thought I was a pretty good shot. Now you add 1000-3000ft in elevation and steep angles and an accelerated heart rate, I'm not.

These are a few things I continue to learn. Without question, it's the hardest thing I've ever done. Good luck.
That right there is the most honest best piece of advice I've seen so far!
Old 05-16-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
All the others are a factor for me, too, but the patience thing... that is definitely the big one!