Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-11-2017, 10:08 AM

Default Incentive for Anti's to enter the Grizzly lottery in BC?

I don't even know what to say.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...muir-1.4107232

'Bullets for Binos' aims to turn B.C. grizzly hunters into heroes
'The optics of grizzly hunting aren't good. It's not in line with British Columbia's general tourism image'

Two exclusive British Columbia resorts have been quietly offering grizzly hunters free stays but only if they agree to put down their guns.

The campaign, called "'Bullets for Binos," the short form for binoculars, was started by the Nimmo Bay Wilderness Resort on B.C.'s Central Coast in 2015.

Hunters who hand in a grizzly "tag" or hunting permit, and who sign an agreement to never hunt grizzlies again receive an $11,000 three-night grizzly viewing package for two in exchange.

"Our owner-operators, Fraser and Becky Murray, work closely with conservation foundations around the Broughton Archipelago and they saw a lot of amazing work being done to try and stop the trophy hunt," said Nimmo Bay guest co-ordinator Brianna Sloan.

"Nimmo Bay is uniquely positioned in grizzly bear territory and in hunting territory and they thought, 'What can we do?' That's how they came up with Bullets for Binos."

'What can we do?'

Grizzly tags are won through a twice-a-year limited entry hunt lottery. If selected, a B.C. resident pays $80 for a grizzly tag, while non-B.C. residents are charged $1,030 each. First Nations hunters do not require tags.

Sloan says two hunters exchanged their tags for grizzly viewing packages last year. Another five grizzly tags have been handed in, and those trips are in the process of being scheduled.

Tweedsmuir Park Lodge near Bella Coola joined the Bullets for Binos program last year. So far, one hunter has exchanged a grizzly tag for a trip.

Message of conservation

"We didn't hesitate to jump on board," said Tweedsmuir director of sales Tim Wilkinson, noting the lodge is in the Great Bear Rainforest. "We've always been opposed to the trophy hunt — our message is one of conservation."

Like Nimmo Bay, wildlife viewing is one of Tweedsmuir's main attractions.

"Not to get political, [the program] is just saying to someone who kills bears that there is a better way. It's promoting bear viewing instead of hunting," said Livingston.

Neither Nimmo Bay Resort nor Tweedsmuir Lodge advertise the Bullets for Binos program, nor do they mention it on their websites.

"We're focusing on word of mouth on this," said Sloan. "I'm not really in touch with all the politics, I just know it's not something we're shouting to the heavens. We're happy if exposure comes our way but we're not out looking for it."

Grizzly hunt off brand

Sloan said they've received nothing but support for the program, especially from European visitors.

"The optics of grizzly bear hunting aren't good. It's just not in line with British Columbia's general tourism image and brand," she said.

Wilkinson says Bullets for Binos is just good business.

"You can look at the statistics and the facts: bear viewing just brings in so much more money to B.C.," he said.

"It's a renewable resource. It just makes so much sense."
Old 05-11-2017, 10:12 AM

I wonder if greenpeace is giving these resorts the cash to do it.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:13 AM

How binding is that agreement? I could use a vacation...
Old 05-11-2017, 10:45 AM

They aren't GIVING away an $11,000 package in exchange for an $80 bear tag they can't use. There is something fishy here. They need to dig deeper. The reporter is naïve.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:52 AM

Default The business plan

I think I see how it works, the lodge gives the guy with the tag a room that they can't sell. He leaves a bear in the viewing area for the other tourists to take pictures of.

The operator must figure he makes more money from tourists than hunters.

BTW if you were watching the BC election, there may be a green party member in the Liberal cabinet. This is the best possible outcome for the greens. You may see a lot more of this kind of thing.

I think that the pipeline to the west coast is dead.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
How binding is that agreement? I could use a vacation...
who says they ever have to know your real name?
Old 05-11-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
They aren't GIVING away an $11,000 package in exchange for an $80 bear tag they can't use. There is something fishy here. They need to dig deeper. The reporter is naïve.
That sounds fishy indeed.

Maybe it's an elaborate bear feeding program? I'm sure it won't take long before the bears realize that tourists are yummy, and go well with pepper.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:22 AM

I still can't believe that some people would pay $11,000 to look for Grizzly bears for three days.:
That is about what I paid to hunt grizzly bears for 12 days with my own guide, and the outfitter only had a small number of allocations.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I still can't believe that some people would pay $11,000 to look for Grizzly bears for three days.:
That is about what I paid to hunt grizzly bears for 12 days with my own guide, and the outfitter only had a small number of allocations.
No kidding.....a tent trailer, some hiking boots and a set of binos get you the same results for next to nothing, lol.

And im with you, I was $10,500 on my grizz hunt, but unfortunately for me it was just a grizzly watching as we didnt see a bear worth shooting the entire time. Would have rather spent the extra $500 and stayed in a decent lodge with decent food like the one in the story if all i was doing was looking at dinker sized bears, but thats a story for another time, haha.

I sure would love to whack a big old boar in front of a dozen or so tourists though, that would add some excitement.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Banned

Maybe all who get a tag should take them up on it and bankrupt them?
Old 05-11-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
Maybe all who get a tag should take them up on it and bankrupt them?
It's a sham. Note they say it's not mentioned on their website or anywhere in print. You can't ask for it. Guaranteed if you showed up with a bear tag they would make an excuse not to give it to you. Who knows if they have really ever done it? Should interview the "hunter" who turned over their tag. Ask to see a copy of it.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:26 AM

Boy, sounds like a great place to plan your next bear hunt.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Lots of European will pay a lot more than that, check out the prices of some of the Polar Bear watching tours, these guys generally sell out every year or did when I worked out of Whitehorse.

http://www.churchillwild.com/adventu...tic-discovery/

African Photo safaris can go for at least without travel costs.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:54 AM
Banned

I have a friend in Canmore that takes photographic grizzly tours into BC and the money he makes is staggering. They stay in the best lodges and he is booked up solid. If this is permanent and not a fad hunting and killing bears is in big trouble.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I can't believe people would pay that much for either....but money means different things to different folks. I honestly cannot think of what they could provide in 3 days that would justify that kind of charge...that is legal at least.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:33 PM

How many non-hunters will be entering for tags in order to qualify for the bogus limited time better read the fine print offer. They're probably just trying to get lots of non-hunters drawing tags to hamper the actual hunters.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
They're probably just trying to get lots of non-hunters drawing tags to hamper the actual hunters.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, Caber!
Old 05-12-2017, 02:30 PM

I suppose for those tourists who want to see a grizz, It would be cheaper to just join a Rugby Team in Banff.
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/c...tice-1.4112404