Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-01-2008, 05:09 PM

Default Meat wrapping paper?

Does anybody know where to get meat wrapping paper? And have any of you used the meat grinders that Princess Auto sells?

Thanks for any feed back.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Ladygun

I wrapped my meat in plastic wrap then news paper.. taped it... (:
Old 11-01-2008, 05:16 PM

I know this doesn't answer your question, but a vacuum sealer is a sweet set up for packaging meat. (and they are pretty reasonably priced)
Old 11-01-2008, 05:18 PM

Default .

superstore carries it.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:48 PM

Default Meat wrapping

Last year I bought a 50 foot x 18"roll of paper-made by the Reynolds company in a box similar to a tin foil box. I used a fair bit of it on two deer. This year I bought a bigger version 164 foot x 18" roll for $9.99. I could have bought a super big roll-like what is used by a professional butcher for about 29 bucks-but it would probably last me and my kids a lifetime of wrapping. These are all available at Save-On Foods.

I also have a vacuum sealer. It works okay-not sure if it is better than wrapping in brown paper or not . . .

And this year, I bought an electric meat grinder from Princess Auto-it only has a 500 watt motor. The packaging says it will do a 145 pounds per hour, which will do me fine. I will be better able to say how well it does after this season.

However due to the very warm weather right now, I may not even hang my deer or cut n' wrap. May have to pay someone else to do it!

If you are out shopping, dont forget to buy some butcher cord as well. You will need it for wrapping the roasts.

Good Luck

"It is not the shirt on the man, but rather the man in the shirt"
Old 11-01-2008, 06:20 PM

Superstore carries it....

Butchered my elk today......and used the vacuum sealer for every last bit of it. Man is that a sweet setup!!! At first it wasnt vacuuming some of the larger packages as well...but after it got warmed up it was doing a great job.

Makes things SO easy and really pretty affordable.....the rolls go a long way and you can make the packages whatever size you like.

I do want to buy a nice heavy duty meat grinder....thats next on the list!!
Old 11-01-2008, 06:25 PM

I bought my last meat paper from our local IGA store.....but Halford Hide has it. I see your from RD....maybe Costco ?
Old 11-01-2008, 07:13 PM

Default wallmart

yup we have used for years that brown wrapping paper from walllmart and masking tape with a black felt marker, the boys cut the steaks and the girls do the wrapping.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:30 PM

Thaks everyone. Rackmaster, what kind of vacuum sealer do you have?
Old 11-01-2008, 07:34 PM

I got mine from the local meat shop/ $35 for a big role. Dont know how much it is at superstore or costco, if anyone knows, let us know.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:36 PM

Back when I used to do a bunch with buddies and we were set up for it we'd get rolls of produce bags from IGA put the steaks, roasts, sausage ect in the bags press out all the air and then wrap in the freezer paper. I've had sausage that was hidden in the corner of the freezer for 3 years unwrapped it to check it out you'd of swore that it was that years stuff no freezer burn what so ever. I too have considered getting a vacuum sealer I'd be interested in what brand you have too Rack.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:11 PM

You can find butcher supply shops in the yellow pages. They will have everything that you are looking for.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:17 PM

CO-OP sells the wrapping paper also.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:33 PM

I plastic wrap it, then paper wrap it. Got the roll at Canadian Wholesale for $20-30.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:56 PM

we picked up our roll of paper from Costco. Last one last 2 years mind you we only cut & wrapped 1 deer last year.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
Thaks everyone. Rackmaster, what kind of vacuum sealer do you have?
I have a FoodSaver....not sure of the model but it does a hell of a job!!
Old 11-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Eyeswideshut

We get our paper from Save-on, Costco, a lot of grocery stores sell it. We plan on purchasing a food-saver from Costco this year.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:19 PM

I picked up my last roll from The Real Canadian Wholesale on 99 street in edmonton. I think that place is just the bulk version of superstore but the paper was wax on one side and it was a pretty big roll. don't remember how much it was but it must have been reasonable or i wouldn't have bought it..
I just use masking tape to seal up the packages and good old felt pen to say what's inside.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygun View Post
I wrapped my meat in plastic wrap then news paper.. taped it... (:
Be carefull with the newspapers Lady , lots of ink in it and old ink smells ,and is a chemical , may taint the meat , even in the freezer , did a job on some fish l had wrapped in the stuff years ago.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:25 AM

I'm telling you the FoodSaver vacume packer is the way to go.

It takes a reasonable amount of skill to properly wrap meat in paper. This is a skill that I simply do not have. With the foodsaver you drop the meat into the bag, press the button and you have a perfectly packaged piece of meat. I also find that the vacume packaged meat lasts much longer with far less freezerburn than does meat wrapped in paper.

TK
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 11-02-2008, 12:08 PM

Halford Hyde sells the big rolls for around $30.00. So far I've wrapped two moose, and about 5 deer with with it ans still have half a roll left.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:33 PM

OK one more question than, what's a FoodSaver vacuum sealer worth?
Old 11-02-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
OK one more question than, what's a FoodSaver vacuum sealer worth?
I'd say expect to spend in the neighbourhood of $200 to get a half way decent one. They've got them at Sears, Costco, London Drugs, Wholesale, etc etc. We use our sealer Food Saver quite a bit. They are handy if you buy bulk meat when grocery shopping as well. If you are premaking meals before a hunting trip they are great to use. When you want to make dinner just drop the bag in boiling water and voila you have a good meal with minimal effort.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:33 PM

Will second the Foodsaver recommendation. Pre-make as many bags as you need and you can knock off a lot of packaging in a short time. I did 50 pounds of sockeye fillets in about a half hour this summer.

For long-term storage you can wrap the meat in plastic wrap, freeze it overnight, and vacuum pack it the next day. I've eaten beef that was packaged that way after a year and you can't tell it from meat that's been frozen a week. For some reason whitetail steaks never last that long though...
Old 11-02-2008, 07:14 PM

Default Princess Auto Meat Grinder

X Whatever on the Food Saver. Works great for everything. Keeps freezer burn off longer (assuming you got a good seal in the first place).

As for the Princess Auto Meat Grinder, I bought one recently for making sausage and it worked very well for grinding (tried all three attachments; course, medium and fine). As for the stuffer attachments, they do work, but not that great.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:26 PM

Actually we have found that meat in plastic doesn't last any where near what paper wraped meat does. We've found those packages that have slipped thru the cracks so to speak that are 3-4 years old. No freezer burn and taste like you put it in the freezer the day before. We always double wrap roasts just cause they are ussually bulkier and harder to cover well. If your meat is consumed within 8-10 months it shouldn't matter wether you wrap in paper or plastic.