Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-31-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutenay View Post
Halloween is derived from the old Roman Catholic holy day, "All Hallows Eve" and THAT was in many respects a continuance of various "pagan" harvest and other festivals.
Nope it is not. Pagan in origin. Still pagan to some. Today mostly just an excuse to put on a mask and be something else for a day. The Catholics tried to bring this pagan ritual into their fold by renaming it and changing the focus.............that was a failure. Definately not a Holy day. No more cultural than some parades in Toronto and Vancouver lol...
Old 10-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Banned

Default " Dief"

I was in Selkirk College at Castlegar, BC, when Pierre Trudeau brought in the " official" policy of multiculturalism and " The Vertical Mosaic" was among THE books to read at the time, just post-FLQ crisis. However, PET admitted later, close to the end of his adminstration(s), to Senator Leo Kolber, for one, that it had been a mistake.

The actual changes to Canadian immigration policy that brought forth this drastic error WERE made by "Dief" in 1962 and it was then and is now a policy largely driven by the demands of various non-traditional immigrant groups, as shown in our recent election campaign.

"Dief" was ALWAYS a strong proponent of non-British immigration, largely, IMO, as a result of insults to his surname he suffered as a young man during WWI and similar incidents afterward. He was lobbied by various individuals among the East Indian and Chinese immigrant groups to open immigration and did so, but, he NEVER, IMO, intended what has happened.

I would also blame that pos, "Lyin' Brian" for much of this and "Creeptian", as well; they took the policy in directions never intended by PET and certainly not "Dief".

As I remember it, from my last high school and early college days, most Canucks were POSITIVE about the PC government's changes to immigration and allowing voting for disenfranchised groups circa 1962. BUT, it was a different Canada then and very few could forsee what has happened since the '60s, most of it bad.

I do agree, SOME immigration is GOOD for ANY society and MOST immigrants are decent people, but, too many come here to profit from what Canadian pioneers built and do not respect us, our heritage or our birthrights. I think that ...dialing down..., is a damm good idea.

Anyway, I have a whack of .375s to load, .....until they BAN those! Don't laugh, remember Ujjal Singh Dosanjh in the 2006 election campaign, a direct quote, " we want a gun free Canada".......
Old 10-31-2008, 12:08 PM

As much as we hate to credit them for anything, you know who does the most to protect their existing culture and heritage? Quebec.... They protect their language, their arts, culture. I just heard that they are proposing that all new immigrants to Quebec sign a document that they will respect the current culture and traditions, or something like that. Not sure how enforcable that would be, but there is a clear intent there, and they have been pretty forceful in banning things like chadors, etc. in their school systems.

Now the flip side of this is that we often characterize them (especially their language laws) as draconian and a violation of rights.... so which way do we want to go?
Old 10-31-2008, 12:37 PM

Very good point there Okotokian. My non-politically correct opinion is that if you come to Canada to stay you become Canadian, not multi-cultural. Multi-culturalism is every culture but the original one.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutenay View Post
Anyway, I have a whack of .375s to load, .....until they BAN those! Don't laugh, remember Ujjal Singh Dosanjh in the 2006 election campaign, a direct quote, " we want a gun free Canada".......
You're right. I forgot about that. Say, can you fit some of those .375's into my belted, double radius shouldered .416 Rigby cases?
Old 10-31-2008, 03:18 PM

Huntinstuff... I'm not sure if all the things listed are you being politically INcorrect or if you just have some good ol' ALBERTIN' VALUES!!. I think you could add to that list... " I remove my HAT in buildings, especially a dinner table"
Old 10-31-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack View Post
in this new world, nothing is sacred anymore. theres always some whiney face poopy pants (thats what my sister would call it shes 8) out there ruining stuff. everyone wants a change, but so far every change has caused more grief than anything. i thing we should change everything to how it was 50 years ago, a family was a family, did family things. a gun was a gun that could kill and we respected that. traditions were traditions and no one really questioned them. if you were gay you kept it to yourself. and everything was a lot cheaper including gas. that would be a better world.
I didn't know I had a son in Medicine Hat.........

Young fella, if we ever meet, I'm gonna buy you a hamburger.