Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-17-2010, 05:45 PM

Default New Big Game Rifle

Well I finally broke down and bought my new rifle. Drove up to LLoydminster to see Clay at Prophet River, spent a couple of hours looking over his stock of coopers and left with this one. It is a 280 remington model 52 Jackson Game. I have decided on a leupold FX-3 6x42 with the long range duplex reticle.

Here is a picture. Can't wait to get out to the range and get it sighted in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00483.JPG (144.6 KB, 312 views)
Old 08-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Sweet!!!!..good luck with it!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:42 PM

nice rig bud!

lots of new (and nice) rifles getting ready for this season!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:28 PM

I am sure that you will be pleased with the new rifle.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:40 AM

Beautiful Rifle,your cooper has some of the best Figured wood that i've seen on a cooper Rifle.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:10 AM

That is an incredible looking rig, the stock is just amazing, hope it shoots half as good as it looks and you will be in the money!
Old 08-18-2010, 08:54 AM

Very, very nice rifle. Great choice.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:22 AM

Gorgeous!!

BTW,anybody know if drool will ruin a keyboard if it gets down inside??!!
Cat
Old 08-18-2010, 09:27 AM

gorgeous wood on that. almost has the same wood as my mannlicher. i will post a picture of my odd 6.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:10 AM

Default Nice!

That is one sweet looking rifle, I'd be scared to put it on the quad and bang it through the bush how good it looks. I just bought a handgun off Clay, Kimber Royal II in .45ACP, real nice guy to deal with so far, I pick it up hopefully today!
Old 08-18-2010, 11:16 AM

Oh man, my shorts are getting a little tight again .

I love these rifles. I've got an Excalibur in .280 Rem that shoots lights out but I think they have some of the finest looking wood stocks available on a production rifle. Yours is one of the nicest I've seen in a while, even for a Cooper. Congrats.

If I could get over my phobia of scratching a beauty piece of lumber I'd be into another Cooper, but with wood, in no time. May have to do it anyways - you know, Face Your Fear .
Old 08-18-2010, 11:19 AM

That's a beauty of a rifle, I'm not sure it deserves to be on that carpet though
Old 08-18-2010, 01:54 PM

Question Question?

What is the name of the "Style" of Forearm on the Stock? Why dont they checker the Forearm? Also it looks like the Jackson's, got monte carlo stocks,just like weatherby's!!! I really Like your new 280 Rem
Old 08-18-2010, 02:59 PM

thats a beautiful rifle! congrats!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:43 PM

Thanks for all the positive comments, really excited to get it out to the range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booner Sniper View Post
That is an incredible looking rig, the stock is just amazing, hope it shoots half as good as it looks and you will be in the money!
Thanks, I am hoping she is a shooter as well. Don't think I will have time to get a load built up before hunting season, so will be using factory ammo. this fall. I will get the load figured out after hunting season.

[QUOTE]What is the name of the "Style" of Forearm on the Stock? Why dont they checker the Forearm? Also it looks like the Jackson's, got monte carlo stocks,just like weatherby's!!! I really Like your new 280 Rem/QUOTE]

Not sure what they call the forend, they don't checker as the shape gives you a good grip. It does have the roll over style of Monte Carlo stock which seems to work really well for me, although asthetically I think I prefer the looks of the classic stocks.

[QUOTE]Big Racks
If I could get over my phobia of scratching a beauty piece of lumber I'd be into another Cooper, but with wood, in no time. May have to do it anyways - you know, Face Your Fear /QUOTE]

I hear yah, I'm not so worried about scratching the stock as that will add some character to the rifle (I know it will happen), I definitely wasn't looking for a safe queen. I am somewhat worried about protecting the bluing, as all my previous rifles had a stainless finish and were very easy to care for.

[QUOTE]gorgeous wood on that. almost has the same wood as my mannlicher. i will post a picture of my odd 6./QUOTE]

I originally wanted a mannlicher as well, but they are really tough to locate now and I wouldn't buy one unless I handled it first. Once I saw this at Clay's, I couldn't leave without it.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
That's a beauty of a rifle, I'm not sure it deserves to be on that carpet though
I have been trying to get the dog to chew a whole in that carpet for almost a year now, he chews everything but.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rls09 View Post
I have been trying to get the dog to chew a whole in that carpet for almost a year now, he chews everything but.
Dog's got some taste then, eh? Better hide that rifle.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rls09 View Post
I hear yah, I'm not so worried about scratching the stock as that will add some character to the rifle (I know it will happen), I definitely wasn't looking for a safe queen. I am somewhat worried about protecting the bluing, as all my previous rifles had a stainless finish and were very easy to care for.
I wouldn't worry too much about the bluing vs stainless. I've mostly hunted with blued rifles for years, and with minimal cleaning, I've never had any rust. Glad to hear it will get used for what it should.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:15 PM

10/10 on the gun and 2/10 on the carpet..

Looks like the same color pattern of most of Sheephunters shirts back in the 80s
Old 08-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Banned

I need a Cooper..wasn't planning on buying anymore "non custom guns" but they are nice..let us know how it shoots??
Old 08-19-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
I need a Cooper..wasn't planning on buying anymore "non custom guns" but they are nice..let us know how it shoots??
Just got my Cooper last week from Clay. It's a .280 ai. Went out to fireform some brass and it shot between 5/8 and 3/4 with every 3 shot group. That was with some fireforming loads with some 115 gr speer hollow points i had kickin around...can't wait to actually start tayloring loads for this rifle. The test target that came with it is one ragged hole.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:21 PM

All this talk about Coopers has made me decide I really NEED another one in the safe. Those new Model 54's short actions are calling my name. Just can't decide what would be a better all round deer/coyote combo calibre - the .260 Rem or the classic .250 Savage. Will need to drop Clay a msg and see what's expected.