Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-15-2010, 04:15 PM

Default Cooey .22 Sure Shot Sights Upgrade?

Hello,

I have an old school Cooey .22 Sure Shot Repeater. I believe it is a model 65.
It is a lot of fun to shoot. However, it has the factory iron sights and they are impossible to zero. The rear site has notches for adjusting, but the steps are too large. You can't get it to shoot dead on. It is still either too high or too low.

I was wondering, is there upgrade iron sites (probably thinking about an aperature style) that can fit onto this gun?

Here are some photos of my Sure Shot 22.

Thanks,
Majesus
Old 08-16-2010, 05:10 AM

First thing I would do is take some extra fine steel wool and some WD-40 or Hoppes and clean up the rust before it makes large pits. As far as the sights, you can get all sorts of peep sights that mount in the scope holes or dovetail, which yours doesn't have so it would mean getting a gunsmith to tap holes for the new peep. You would also likely need a new front sight unless you get real lucky and yours is just the right height.

The cheapest and easiest fix would be to set the rear sight at the notch that shoots a hair high then take a file and SLOWLY file the flat of that notch till you get it dead on. You can also buy other elevators to try.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
First thing I would do is take some extra fine steel wool and some WD-40 or Hoppes and clean up the rust before it makes large pits. As far as the sights, you can get all sorts of peep sights that mount in the scope holes or dovetail, which yours doesn't have so it would mean getting a gunsmith to tap holes for the new peep. You would also likely need a new front sight unless you get real lucky and yours is just the right height.

The cheapest and easiest fix would be to set the rear sight at the notch that shoots a hair high then take a file and SLOWLY file the flat of that notch till you get it dead on. You can also buy other elevators to try.
The sights on those guns were "close enough" types. Take the advice above and I think you will be very happy.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:26 PM

Some of them have 4 holes, tapped , on the off side of the receiver, for a scope mount. Might get lucky and find one, at a gun show.

Grizz
Old 08-20-2010, 08:07 AM

I will go get a new elevator.

Thanks guys.

Majesus