Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2020, 04:02 PM

The rainbow bridge was given to me in a card by my vet after my 2nd GSP died. It was the first time I ever heard of that poem. Been through a few dogs now where we made the decision or I supported a friend when they did. That poem really hit home in a good way for me. Been a few years now since we had a real dog in the house, only have the wifes rat dog chihuahua left. She is a smart good dog but you can't do much with her like I could with a GSP. Miss not having a bigger dog. The pull to get another gets stronger each year.

Been there done that with having to make that horrible decision, these darn pets really take a piece of you when they go. Sorry to hear about Shadow, never forgotten, always close by. Take care.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
The rainbow bridge was given to me in a card by my vet after my 2nd GSP died. It was the first time I ever heard of that poem. Been through a few dogs now where we made the decision or I supported a friend when they did. That poem really hit home in a good way for me. Been a few years now since we had a real dog in the house, only have the wifes rat dog chihuahua left. She is a smart good dog but you can't do much with her like I could with a GSP. Miss not having a bigger dog. The pull to get another gets stronger each year.

Been there done that with having to make that horrible decision, these darn pets really take a piece of you when they go. Sorry to hear about Shadow, never forgotten, always close by. Take care.

Sooner,

Thanks for your condolences for Shadow, and for sharing your experiences with your GSP, I'm sure they are playing together right now! It was for sure one of the hardest decisions I had to make, The bonds were form with our Dogs / pets is special, she is close by, in thoughts, memories! Sorry for your loss also Sooner. Hope you get yourself, another buddy! Take care also
Old 12-22-2020, 06:06 PM

Sorry to hear of Shadows passing, like many others have said. Dogs become a family member and in many cases more then a family member. Its been close to 20 years since I have had a dog. I miss her every day.

Again sorry for your loss, its always tough to make the choice to put them down when its time. But its the right choice.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Sorry to hear of Shadows passing, like many others have said. Dogs become a family member and in many cases more then a family member. Its been close to 20 years since I have had a dog. I miss her every day.

Again sorry for your loss, its always tough to make the choice to put them down when its time. But its the right choice.
Hello CTD,

Thanks for your kind words, she was most definitely a family member, and human, she did not know she was a Dog! I t was the right choice, did not seem like it at the time, but I was thinking more of me, than her. She is in a better place, pain free
Old 12-22-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUDUHNTR View Post
It is with great sadness that I to had to euthanize my Beloved Shadow on Dec 08/20, whom had 15 wonderful years, she had a good run.

It was the 2nd toughest decision of my life, but it was the best for her, and not my selflessness of wanting to keep her going, and for her quality of life, or lack of @ the time.

I find myself seeing Shadow everywhere, every sight, or sound.....hoping it's her.

Shadow was a rescue Dog, but it was her that rescued us, she taught me to have more patience, to laugh, to be more compassionate.

Shadow was my fishing pal, she really was a shadow, never ever far behind, and would follow everywhere!

Shadow was very accomplished at hunting tree rats (squirrells) and would go into a frenzy when I picked up the rifle, it's as if she said game on!

She did not like cats...........but she adopted a "dropped off abandoned" kitten a few years back, and looked after her, we called the kitten 'Lil Kenny', whom is like a Dog now.............follows me around outside everywhere, comes when whistled at, Shadow was also a teacher!

I continue walk to our Favorite hilltop, and imagine she is by my side, it helps me to grieve, and brings me closure.

I had Shadow cremated, and brought her ashes home the same day, so she could be with us. It was a private cremation, with a viewing, and witness loading into the cremation chamber. This also brought me much closure, that I needed, to ensure that she was sent off in the best dignified manner for our beloved Shadow.

I had wrapped her in a nice plaid cotton blanket that my Mom had made for me years ago.

I had laid down with Shadow all night, before the euthanization and thought she would like that also, along with a few of her favorite squeaky toys, pizzle stick which she carried around like a cigar in her mouth all the time!

The place that did the cremation and service "was part of the family" about 10 mins West of St Albert, on villeneuve road. Ardeth and her staff, treated Shadow, and us in very dignified and respectful manner.

After the service, and taking Shadow's ashes home, I had felt that a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

Shadow will never be gone, or forgotten, our pets live on in our hearts, and in our memories.

I just have one question........why do Cats live such a long time??
'Lil Kenny was an azz hole to Shadow sometime!!
She has been sweet as apple pie lately though!
What a nice way to describe this sad yet appropriate decision..

I have a couple of pouches (9 and 8). My biggest fear is whoever will go first, as I am not sure how the other will take it as they have been together for about 8 years.

And of course, my wife and I. These little buggers are glue on glue, not only to them, but to us. Hell. we go grocery shopping for 2 hours, and come back home. Absolutely traumatized we left them alone so long...lol

Pets are a precious part of families. When I hear stories such as yours, I think of all dog/cat/ and others owners that have to deal with these sad times.

Thanx for sharing and keep your chin up. Your pet will never be forgotten.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:53 PM

So sorry form your loss KUDUHNTR.

here is a link too a thread I posted a few years back.
I still read that short story occasionally.....
Cat
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=218550
Old 12-22-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
What a nice way to describe this sad yet appropriate decision..

I have a couple of pouches (9 and 8). My biggest fear is whoever will go first, as I am not sure how the other will take it as they have been together for about 8 years.

And of course, my wife and I. These little buggers are glue on glue, not only to them, but to us. Hell. we go grocery shopping for 2 hours, and come back home. Absolutely traumatized we left them alone so long...lol

Pets are a precious part of families. When I hear stories such as yours, I think of all dog/cat/ and others owners that have to deal with these sad times.

Thanx for sharing and keep your chin up. Your pet will never be forgotten.
Hello Phil McCracken,

Thanks for your kind words, and thoughts about Shadow. I will never forget her, as I have many great memories, and adventures we shared over the years

I will always remember pulling into the driveway, and seeing Shadow looking out the window, for my arrival, and then she would start jumping up and down, and greet me at the door with her favourite toy!

Thanks for your words of encouragement, and I hope your pets have many years together, and with your and your Family

Merry Christmas, and a happy New Year!
Old 12-22-2020, 09:48 PM

Hello Catnthehat,

Thanks for your kind words about Shadow, she remains in my heart and thoughts.

Your Story reminds me of my Grandfather ( he was more of a Father to me ) who would always take me fishing, and beach combing to a secret spot, or so I thought as a young boy, felt like it was a secret spot to me! He has been gone for along time, but I still think of him, and our fishing from often, and what special times we had. Caught my first fish with Grandpa, first 3 actually, never landed any of them. The seals of Cowichan Bay had different plans for those salmon!

Have a Merry Christmas Cat, and a Happy New Year to you and your family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
So sorry form your loss KUDUHNTR.

here is a link too a thread I posted a few years back.
I still read that short story occasionally.....
Cat
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=218550
Old 12-22-2020, 09:56 PM

And a Merry Christmas to you and yours as well, KUDUHUNTR!
Cat
Old 12-22-2020, 10:04 PM

Sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose a best friend. Just know that you and your pup had a special bond. Shadow will always be there for you. She always will. Just like you were for her. I'm willing to bet every dog owner on here has a tear in their eyes as they read and right on this thread. My condolences.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 12-22-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose a best friend. Just know that you and your pup had a special bond. Shadow will always be there for you. She always will. Just like you were for her. I'm willing to bet every dog owner on here has a tear in their eyes as they read and right on this thread. My condolences.
Hello Vcmm, Thanks for your kind words for Shadow, and condolences. We
did have a special bond, that was certain. I feel much better now
knowing that she is living a pain free life, with dignity now. I wish
Dogs could live longer, it's just not fair. I feel for any pet owner
that has lost a best friend.

Merry Christmas Vcmm, and a Happy, Better 2021 New Year to
you and your family
Old 12-23-2020, 02:56 PM

My hope is that whenever we get to wherever that is, that they're all there waiting at the door to meet us, wagging and smiling.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
My hope is that whenever we get to wherever that is, that they're all there waiting at the door to meet us, wagging and smiling.
Me too!

BW
Old 12-23-2020, 04:35 PM

These threads make me cry like a baby. It also shows how we are all connected as a community in our love of our pets. Sooo much love in this thread.

Dodger.
Old 12-23-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Google Rainbow Bridge if you have never heard of it. It pretty much describes what your saying.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUDUHNTR View Post
Hello Phil McCracken,

Thanks for your kind words, and thoughts about Shadow. I will never forget her, as I have many great memories, and adventures we shared over the years

I will always remember pulling into the driveway, and seeing Shadow looking out the window, for my arrival, and then she would start jumping up and down, and greet me at the door with her favourite toy!

Thanks for your words of encouragement, and I hope your pets have many years together, and with your and your Family

Merry Christmas, and a happy New Year!
Have a great Xmas also KUDU!
Old 12-23-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Me too!

BW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
These threads make me cry like a baby. It also shows how we are all connected as a community in our love of our pets. Sooo much love in this thread.

Dodger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Google Rainbow Bridge if you have never heard of it. It pretty much describes what your saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Have a great Xmas also KUDU!
Hey Guys,

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it, means a lot, really. That's one thing I can agree one, as a community, we can feel for others, when we lose pets, and grieve as a community also.

I also hope that when we leave this earth, and our pets are waiting for us at the rainbow bridge, where they will join us, forever after, That's the hope, im hoping for

When I have read past post's on here, about members pets passing, I always shed a tear...............thinking of my own Beloved Shadow.....it's' been 2 weeks since she crossed over, still an empty void, going to be hard over the holidays, but i'm very happy that she as living a pain free life now, with dignity. That's the most important thing. I wish everybody a Merry Christmas, hug your pets for me, and thanks for all the kind words, and condolences for Shadow, she is looking down wagging her tail.