Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
It’s amazing how attached we become to our dogs.
You become so close to them and you can read each other with out words.
Last dog we had lived to 18. It was not a hunting dog at all, and you sure could tell if it was a rabbit, cat, or coyote outside the window.
First time in my life I do not have a dog. It always seems that the last one was better that the previous. Miss them, as it did not matter if you were away 5 minutes or 5 days, when you walked in the door, they were happy to see you.

I feel for you
Thanks for your kind words, wow 18 years, tell me your secret for making your pooch live so long.........I would give anything, if she could have lived another 3 pain free years!

I know what you mean, Shadow was always happy to see me, tail wagging, she always scrambled to bring me her toy, or if she could not find it, she would pick up my shoe, or boot......so happy that I was home............the wife......sometimes not so much..........ha ha!!

When I was working up in the NWT in a diamond mine for 2 weeks @ a time, Shadow would jump up an down and bark, and talk for at least 5mins !!

Wow....18 years........well done!
Old 12-18-2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUDUHNTR View Post
Thanks for your kind words, wow 18 years, tell me your secret for making your pooch live so long.........I would give anything, if she could have lived another 3 pain free years!

I know what you mean, Shadow was always happy to see me, tail wagging, she always scrambled to bring me her toy, or if she could not find it, she would pick up my shoe, or boot......so happy that I was home............the wife......sometimes not so much..........ha ha!!

When I was working up in the NWT in a diamond mine for 2 weeks @ a time, Shadow would jump up an down and bark, and talk for at least 5mins !!

Wow....18 years........well done!
Our dog lived a charmed life. It ate a tone of chocolate, go figure??
Loved moose meat, and often licked up beer that was spilt on the patio.
And of course slept in our bed, perpendicular to my wife and I
Old 12-19-2020, 12:34 AM

So sorry to hear, I have felt your pain. you will never lose the memoires.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 12-19-2020, 08:29 AM

I'm sorry for you .
What a crappy time to lose a furry friend.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-19-2020, 09:25 AM

Sorry for you're loss. Never easy loosing our companions. You gave that pup a great life and a great Tribute. Remember the great moments with her.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:23 AM

So sorry for your loss! Lost my dog a bit over a year ago and my heart is still bleeding...
And I thought I am not going to cry today....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55E8DD63-0478-4C46-AB3C-21BFD5326C0F.jpg (25.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg ADB9FF3B-CA6C-4E76-A065-39D89051EA6F.jpg (36.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-19-2020, 11:42 AM

Sorry to hear! What's toughest part of having a dog? Saying goodbye.
Old 12-19-2020, 01:46 PM
Banned

Arrow

They are our Family. Been over a year, and I find it still damn tough...

"A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead.
He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight.

When he was standing before it he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side.

When he was close enough, he called out, 'Excuse me, where are we?'
'This is Heaven, sir,' the man answered.
Would you happen to have some water?' the man asked.
Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up'.The man gestured, and the gate began to open.

'Can my friend,' gesturing toward his dog, 'come in, too?' the traveller asked.
'I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets.'

The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog.

After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence. As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.

'Excuse me!' he called to the man. 'Do you have any water?'
'Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there, come on in..'
'How about my friend here?' the traveller gestured to the dog.
There should be a bowl by the pump.'

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it. The traveller filled the water bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog.
When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree.

'What do you call this place?' the traveller asked.
This is Heaven,' he answered.

'Well, that's confusing,' the traveller said. 'The man down the road said that was Heaven, too.'

'Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's hell.'

'Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?'

'No, we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind.'"
Old 12-19-2020, 02:36 PM

I am so sorry to hear this, and know what you are going through...Be thankful that she shared your life for so long and that you were able to see her off. I still miss my dear little Bean. Here is something I will share, and it sums it all up to a tee. But please grab a box of Kleenex before reading it! Take care and hug that kitty.

https://www.dogheirs.com/dogs-never-...ping-in-heart/

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 12-19-2020, 03:57 PM

Kudu, I am so sorry. I avoided reading for a few days, as I knew how sad it would be. May the pain dull and the memories become sweeter.

Dogs are better than people.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:26 PM

Default Thanks For Your Condolences

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
So sorry to hear, I have felt your pain. you will never lose the memoires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I'm sorry for you .
What a crappy time to lose a furry friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
Sorry for you're loss. Never easy loosing our companions. You gave that pup a great life and a great Tribute. Remember the great moments with her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
So sorry for your loss! Lost my dog a bit over a year ago and my heart is still bleeding...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Sorry to hear! What's toughest part of having a dog? Saying goodbye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post

"A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead.
He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight.

When he was standing before it he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side.

Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up'.The man gestured, and the gate began to open.

The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog.

After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence. As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it. The traveller filled the water bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog.
When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree.

'Well, that's confusing,' the traveller said. 'The man down the road said that was Heaven, too.'

'Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's hell.'

'No, we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind.'"
Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
I am so sorry to hear this, and know what you are going through...Be thankful that she shared your life for so long and that you were able to see her off. I still miss my dear little Bean. Here is something I will share, and it sums it all up to a tee. But please grab a box of Kleenex before reading it! Take care and hug that kitty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Kudu, I am so sorry. I avoided reading for a few days, as I knew how sad it would be. May the pain dull and the memories become sweeter.

Dogs are better than people.

Hello,

Thanks for all your condolences, and kind words, analogies, and stories it really means a lot, and i'm sorry for all of your pet loses also. I'm doing a little better now, knowing that she in heaven, and has crossed the Rainbow Bridge! Also taking everyone's advice, and remembering all our good times that we shared, godbless our pets, and all that bless them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05614.JPG (114.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05615.JPG (133.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05617.JPG (116.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05619.JPG (120.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-19-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post

Hi Molly,

Thanks for the read, and the kleenex.......Lil Kenny ( Shadows Cat Buddy) came to console me, again!
Old 12-19-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post

I liked this story, made me smile, thanks for that IronNoggin !
Old 12-19-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:

I like your attached pictures, so true, thank you. Sorry for your loss also.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:28 PM

Condolences to those who knew and loved Shadow. Happy trails Shadow.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-20-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Condolences to those who knew and loved Shadow. Happy trails Shadow.
Thank you, Red bullets for your kind words!!
Old 12-20-2020, 12:46 PM

All the Best Kudu, tough decision to make for sure. Always great when a dog becomes a true companion.
The pain will ease in time but the memories will last.
Take care
Old 12-20-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
All the Best Kudu, tough decision to make for sure. Always great when a dog becomes a true companion.
The pain will ease in time but the memories will last.
Take care

Hi Grant,

Thanks for your kind words
Old 12-20-2020, 02:57 PM

I feel your pain, was just out walking my dog and thinking of the other we lost last year. Still feels pretty fresh so sorry for the loss of your dear friend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
I feel your pain, was just out walking my dog and thinking of the other we lost last year. Still feels pretty fresh so sorry for the loss of your dear friend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your kind words, the neighbour was just over, and he has 5 year old chesapeake huge male dog, named Chester, so I had a Dog fix today!
Sorry for your loss also, It will take quite some time I'm thinking, As pet owners, we will always remember our dear departed companions.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:07 PM

If I can only suggest- get another dog if you can, ASAP. You can’t live without it anyway, so why wait? The new dog will let your heart heal faster. The new dog will fill your heart with love again. Nothing beats new mischievous puppy in the house! Ask me how do I know....
I started looking for the pup after a week... got him 5 months later. He definitely filled the void and more... Love him like crazy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4DD6DF15-7F1B-44E5-BD3A-18C7D61E6607.jpg (22.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-21-2020, 07:04 PM

Ahhh...........So cute!!!
Have to get the Mrs onboard with this..........she says no way, and I says, yes ways.......will give it some time, but i do want to get another pooch for sure!!
Old 12-22-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUDUHNTR View Post
Ahhh...........So cute!!!
Have to get the Mrs onboard with this..........she says no way, and I says, yes ways.......will give it some time, but i do want to get another pooch for sure!!
My wife and daughter were saying that I am rushing to get a new dog, that they need time... I remember that after we lost our first dog back in 2001, we saidNo more, that is it and waited 10 years.... That was the biggest mistake in our life!
This time I insisted on doing it my way and did all the looking around work. When we found a pup, we went to meet the breeder and my wife changed her mind instantly. The daughter was apprehensive up until the moment the little guy arrived at the house, then it was an instant love!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7B757B8B-F46C-4AAE-88AE-299E22253890.jpg (12.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-22-2020, 01:43 PM

In my 64 years I've lost many dearly loved pets, so I tend to not open topics like this one. Hurts.

I know how you feel & have no advice, but to remember the good times & all.

Now that my eyes have cleared a bit, I can post that I am an all animal lover. Dogs and Cats mostly.

The one that hit me the worst & still does, is Bear. He was super special....I lost 30 lbs when he went....

Old 12-22-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
In my 64 years I've lost many dearly loved pets, so I tend to not open topics like this one. Hurts.

I know how you feel & have no advice, but to remember the good times & all.

Now that my eyes have cleared a bit, I can post that I am an all animal lover. Dogs and Cats mostly.

The one that hit me the worst & still does, is Bear. He was super special....I lost 30 lbs when he went....

Thanks for your kind words, and sharing a picture of Bear, wow what a regal feline, a real handsome Guy!

I have been remembering all our special times, and adventures we shared, I walk up to the top of the hill, where we walked, it help my grieving process.

Did you get another pet after Bear?
Old 12-22-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
My wife and daughter were saying that I am rushing to get a new dog, that they need time... I remember that after we lost our first dog back in 2001, we saidNo more, that is it and waited 10 years.... That was the biggest mistake in our life!
This time I insisted on doing it my way and did all the looking around work. When we found a pup, we went to meet the breeder and my wife changed her mind instantly. The daughter was apprehensive up until the moment the little guy arrived at the house, then it was an instant love!

I have been looking at pets for adoption, for sell, etc.
I like the idea of getting a puppy, but thinking of a rescue also, it's a real toss up @ the moment. One of the neighbors said they know of friend that has a mongrel of sorts, that will have a litter............might have to be like the Robert De Niro, form the God fokkers, and check to see how many Father(s) she may have been nailed by !!
Old 12-22-2020, 02:40 PM

Wife is the one that (mostly) picks Cats out.

She got Diesel & he too is priceless !

Bear, cannot be replaced.....although, I have been looking for a Maine Coon, but prices are crazy.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Wife is the one that (mostly) picks Cats out.

She got Diesel & he too is priceless !

Bear, cannot be replaced.....although, I have been looking for a Maine Coon, but prices are crazy.
Did Bear have an extra toe, on each foot
I know what you mean, Shadow will never be replaced, she was one in a Zillion......they all bring something different to the table in their own special way!

I could not help but notice the price off pets................crazy $$$$..........
Old 12-22-2020, 03:06 PM

No extra toe, just huge feet. Big guy, likely 20 + lbs. Had a special way to sit with me on the couch. Feet/bum had to be perfect. Hard to describe.
He was stuck at 2 years old. Always had that Kitten way about him.
Walked across the top of the Pheasant pens on 1" wire like it was nothing. Roll all over & was just a gentile giant.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:39 PM

Lil Kenny( Cat ), who was Shadow's buddy, is now my bestest friend!
She like to sit on me, and knead me, like dough !!

Bear was a big boy then, feet like snow shoes, no doubt!