Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2018, 09:55 AM

Exclamation Lincoln Ranger 305g multiprocess welder - any experience?

I was able to pick one up, am hoping I am able to use it to learn more about stick welding. I haven't burned a rod for years, but with the loader I sure could use one. Being a multiprocess it will run mig, tig, gouge and of course is a generator, should be a handy unit.
Now I have to find a spoolgun, not sure if I will get back into tig or not, looks pretty expensive to set up this unit for it.
Anyone using/used one of these for anything other than burning rods?
I have a bucket that needs some repair, the farmer that had it before sprayed bubblegum all over it attaching his home made grapples, which I have removed.
I am particularily interested in using it for Mig, but can't find a lot of information anywhere other than the online user manual which really is not a lot of help.
Apparently I need to buy a K487-25 spool gun; only $995 usd on eBay for aluminum, plus a control module, plus a input cable, , not happening.
Can a different spool gun be used? Can I weld steel with a spool gun?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-19-2018, 10:51 AM

It's a great rig.
Look into a suitcase wire feed. They are often used for portable flux cord wire feed. That's what I'd use it for.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:10 AM

I think what you are probably looking for is a wire feeder, not a spool gun. Spool guns are generally just used for aluminum wire. They have a tiny roll of wire connected to the back of your gun. Wire feeders can hold large (44lb +) spools of wire, and then generally have a 15' 'whip' leading to the gun
Old 12-19-2018, 11:17 AM

When I get back to work I can check what our portable rig is. It's a 305 or 350 I think, with a Lincoln LF-72 wire feeder. Quick connects and a turn of a knob and you can do stick or mig. I'm assuming you are just looking to weld steel?
Old 12-19-2018, 12:23 PM

Our portable welder is in fact a 305g (we also have about 40 other various welding machines, so wasn't too sure). Been a nice little unit, have heard nothing to complain about with it. We've had it about 5 years now with no known issues. The LF-72 feeder was around $2200 I believe. But if you plan on using it for GMAW, you will also need a bottle, cables, hoses, regulator, etc. etc.... Self shielding flux core would be cheaper to get set up. Stick is definitely the cheapest route for small projects... Once you get into large volume of welding, MIG pays for itself pretty quick
Old 12-19-2018, 12:29 PM

Thanks Bloop.
I had a Lincoln tig and a Miller mig, am familiar with the process just not the 305

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-19-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Thanks Bloop.
I had a Lincoln tig and a Miller mig, am familiar with the process just not the 305
So are you actually looking for a spool gun, or just any other options to do MIG?

Last edited by bloopbloob; 12-19-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
So are you actually looking for a spool gun?
I am I want to weld aluminum again. I just didnt know if the 305 had a steel reel for mig welding steel. I am almost certain it doesn't, and like Crabtree says it requires another box. I was hoping you could weld steel with a spool gun. I thought maybe you would just use small spools.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I am I want to weld aluminum again. I just didnt know if the 305 had a steel reel for mig welding steel. I am almost certain it doesn't, and like Crabtree says it requires another box. I was hoping you could weld steel with a spool gun. I thought maybe you would just use small spools.
You can weld steel with a spool gun. The 305 will just have all the connections to add on aftermarket stuff (which isn't cheap). If you've ever had the lovely experience of using spool guns, you probably also have quite an extensive collection of swear words in your vocabulary. For steel, you will be restricted to fairly small diameter wires, which means you won't be able to weld very thick steel efficiently. The tight wrap of the small spools also causes issues with the cast of the wire, causing more feeding issues than you see with larger rolls (also adding to your vocabulary). As far as aluminum, I had to do a bunch of fixed position welds on pipe with an aluminum spool gun. I learned some new swear words, and ordered a TIG machine 2 days later. Aluminum really needs the amperage control that TIG gives you. A spool gun is just on or off.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:58 PM

Definitely avoid using a spool gun to weld steel with. Get a suitcase wire feeder and you'll be much happier if you wanna use it for MIG.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:02 PM

I do have a nice little Lincoln mig, may have to look into the suitcase feeder. Thanks guys!

Old 12-19-2018, 08:42 PM

I think you'd have a great rig with a suitcase wirefeeder.
I would go flux core wire rather than gas because it will handle poor conditions like mild wind better than MIG.
If you weld a lot in thicker steel portable go flux core wire feed. If you don't do much just use stick for those jobs.
As you know spool guns are passable for some aluminum but TIG is preferable.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:54 PM

I'm of the opinion of getting yourself a good gen set, about twice the power or more than you'd require to run your welder, and use the MIG you have with flux core. You can get some good diesel gen set for cheap these days from the gen rental places.

For the money you're looking to spend for the portable, you can get a nice gen set, and a decent welder.

Or, if you want, you could bring the bucket down here, and you could use my welder. I have a 550 amp Mig available. It will spray .045 self shielded flux core.