Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-20-2010, 11:43 PM

Default Registering old firearms

Ok, I'm bracing myself for the backlash. But it's gotta be done I guess.
How does a guy go about registering his firearms?
I printed off the sheet from the website. It seems pretty straight forward up until the "verifier" part.
Where do you find a verifier? Can I just buy the local gunsmith a coffee and get him to measure things up? And make sure I have the action right?
What is this FRT number?
It's just a couple old shotguns and an old rifle.
And for shotgun shot capacity. The shotgun has a plug in it so it holds 2. But more if I pull the plug. So for shot capacity do I just put down 2?

And then there's the box that asks about obtaining the firearm. Do I just write down I've had them for years and now I'm finally getting around to doing it?

And how do I go about switching registration? I might sell one of these old guns to my kid. How do I go about doing that.

I feel like such a yutz for not knowing this.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoldan43 View Post
Ok, I'm bracing myself for the backlash. But it's gotta be done I guess.
How does a guy go about registering his firearms?(you need a POL or PAL first)
The amnesty applies to individuals in the following circumstances:

•Individuals who are in possession of a non-restricted firearm and hold a Possession Only Licence (POL) or a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) for such a firearm, but do not hold a registration certificate for that firearm, or
•Individuals who are in possession of a non-restricted firearm, who do not hold a registration certificate for the firearm in question and who:
◦Held a POL or a PAL that expired between January 1, 2004 and the present, or
◦Currently hold a POL or a PAL that will expire between now and May 16, 2011
The amnesty permits the following:

•Licensed individuals can obtain a registration certificate for their non-restricted firearm;
•Individuals with expired licences can obtain a new licence and then a registration certificate.
•All individuals can
◦DEACTIVATE the firearm so it is no longer a firearm, or
◦SELL or GIVE the firearm to a public service agency (such as police service), to a business (including a museum) that holds a licence authorizing the acquisition, or to an individual who holds a PAL which authorizes the acquisition, or
◦EXPORT the firearm in accordance with all legal requirements, including those of the importing country, or
◦TURN IN the firearm to a police officer or a firearms officer for destruction or other disposal
The amnesty does not apply to individuals who have never obtained a firearms licence.

If you do not have a license, give the guns to a friend who has a license to register them. Get your license and have your friend give the guns back and then transfer them.

I printed off the sheet from the website. It seems pretty straight forward up until the "verifier" part.
Where do you find a verifier? Can I just buy the local gunsmith a coffee and get him to measure things up? And make sure I have the action right?
What is this FRT number?
The Firearms Reference Table (FRT) is a catalogue of all firearm descriptions and using this tool is the best way to describe firearms. This is a world-class tool developed by the RCMP and updated daily to provide up to the minute information.* Will be given to you when you register firearms

It's just a couple old shotguns and an old rifle.
And for shotgun shot capacity. The shotgun has a plug in it so it holds 2. But more if I pull the plug. So for shot capacity do I just put down 2?(Yes)
(Should be able to verify over the phone. See link http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/i.../verif-eng.htm)
And then there's the box that asks about obtaining the firearm. Do I just write down I've had them for years and now I'm finally getting around to doing it? (yes •As a result of public consultations, the amnesty for certain owners of non-restricted rifles and shotguns has been extended until May 16, 2011. )

And how do I go about switching registration? I might sell one of these old guns to my kid. How do I go about doing that.( If you both have a POL or PAL why don't you have your kid register the one you want to sell him. When i sold guns a couple of years ago, the buyer phoned in to register the guns and I phoned in to verify the transfer once a transaction number was given to me by the buyer)

I feel like such a yutz for not knowing this.

Thanks guys.
Not sure if anything has changed lately but the above is correct to the best of my knowledge.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:23 AM

dont register them yet! there is still an amnesty. wait until you get the
results from 3rd reading.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:33 AM

call the cfc at 1 800 731 4000. Make sure you have the lenght of the barrel, serial number and make and model. They will verify it over the phone, very easy process and quite painless.