Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-18-2010, 09:12 PM

Default C14 timberwolf

A buddy of mine showed me a you tube video of a C14 timberwolf .338 lapua. he said it is available to the public for purchase. i dont buy a lot of guns but i am pretty sure i need this one! Know anywhere that sells it?? preferably in southren alberta... Anybody ever shot this rifle or have one? tell me some pros and cons please! i imagine that it isnt cheap either so any feed back is good! thanks!!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:26 PM

Default Pgw

You order one through these guys:

http ://www.pgwdti.com/

Check gunnutz, you might find a used one. I know I've seen a coyote there for sale.

Last edited by Coreyh; 08-18-2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: innaccurate info
Old 08-18-2010, 10:51 PM

Pro: Action's made in Canada, Probably the only firearm our army uses that we can have too.

Con: Price. You'll have to cough up $7500 for one.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:47 AM

It's a really nice rifle, built like a tank, and shoots very well. For current pricing you need to contact Ross at PGW however sometime ago there was a group buy on CGN for $6700. That included a fitted Hardigg storm case, 2 magazines, a cleaning kit, a 25 moa rail, and shipping. For what you get with this rifle, and the amount of quality workmanship that goes into it, it's a decent buy for a tactical/LR hunting 338 Lapua. Furthermore, you will be hard pressed to build a rifle of similar quality for less money. It's more than accurate enough for it's intended purpose which is hitting a man sized target in the chest out to 1200+ yards on your first shot (depending on conditions of course) and consistently there after. I've been more than happy with the Timberwolf's performance and have shot as far out as 1760 yards with really good results.

It isn't cheap to feed these rifles. If you wish to shoot a 338 Lapua rifle on a regular or semi-regular basis you will need to reload to save some money. Besides, you should be reloading anyway especially if you want to take full advantage of any rifle's accuracy potential. Accuracy wise these rifles in particular really benefit from fire formed brass and consistent bullet seating depth matched to your rifle....two things you'll never get with factory ammo.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:25 AM

Although it's a good rifle, I disagree that you couldn't have something built that is better [for yourself] for the money.

Any manufactured thing is a tradeoff between satisfying a whole bunch of potential users and their wishes on the one hand, versus taking advantage of economies of scale on the other hand.

There's a bunch of stuff on that rifle that I couldn't care less about, such as fluted barrel and suppressor. My own cleaning kit is already pretty good too, and I like the carry cases I already have. I also can do a decent krylon job if necessary so I don't need camo paint. I don't want to pay for any of that, even if it does means something for somebody else.

There's probably a few design and manufacturing considerations in that rifle that have no value to me either, maybe such as to enable quick manufacturing in high volume or cheaper maintenance/repair or logistic support considerations which are important to the military. So why pay for that either?

Regarding economies of scale, a rifle is nowhere as near as complicated or advanced as, say a new truck or airplane or computer for example. The technology is not such a big secret or so unique that it can't be duplicated by a good rifle smith. Research and development costs aren't so big that they have to be spread over 500,000 units. So, economies of scale aren't a huge consideration.

For 7.5 grand, you could probably have an equivalently accurate 338L built that suits you better.