Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-13-2010, 06:12 PM

Default Preferred 9mm Ammo?

Hi all, just got my first pistol, a Sig P226 in 9mm and I'm pretty jazzed to go do some shooting this weekend. Sig seemed like a good place to start! Just wondering about ammo, I picked up a couple of boxes of Winchester 115 gr (WinClean) and 147 gr (Ranger) to try this weekend as it was on the shelf here...but curious if anybody has any recommendations of ammo, gr weight, crap ammo to steer clear of....? I've heard that the P226 will shoot pretty much anything, but that doesn't make it all good.

Thanks. TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-20-2010, 09:24 PM

I buy whatever is the cheapest when I need more, I try to buy at least 500rds at a time to help keep costs lower. I think the last batch was american eagle 124 grain FMJ. Cycles great and is fairly accurate.

If I were buying it for protection or hunting or any of the other things we can't use our pistols for in Canada I might be a little picky but for making holes in paper and pop cans anything your gun will cycle reliably is just fine.

Just shop around and check out Frontier in Sask and canadaammo.com and places like that as well since you can sometimes (not always) find a better deal including shipping than our local shops will give you.

Good luck and have fun with your new pistol.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:50 PM

Thanks. I just picked up 1000 rds of 147 gr Winchester Rangers at Bartons, my Sig seems to like them best and the price was right.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone